Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

What to use to remove severe water marks

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2009, 01:36 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to remove severe water marks

Washed the car today and dried it off, then it rained!!!!

Now the roof and the bonnet now have severe watermarks on them, when I say severe I mean severe!! We're talking anything up to 2 inch in diameter!!!!

Would clay barring the car remove them??

Asking before I spend the entire day tomorrow undoing everything I have just done and redoing it.

Edit

A lot of elbow grease later with detailer, a bit of clay and Blackfire polish and the minor marks and the major ones are less prononced. Guessing with the by hand method you can't get enough breakdown of the compunds to make them fully vanish.

Also the car when I picked it up from the dealer was being wiped down with a chamois and the paint shows it.

Oh well, roll on payday and PB will be getting another order from me!!! Ont he upside, the BF gloss spray works a treat on the faux chrome on the car

Last edited by Simon C; 16 May 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 16 May 2009, 10:05 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Guess I'm rewashing it as well. It rained lightly this afternoon and the surface is now poc marked with water splashes.

Wondering if the megs detailer and the BF polish didn't work well together. (gave the applicator a quick misting of detailer before polishing).
Old 17 May 2009, 01:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Cheapest way is just to quickly wash it with shampoo, rinse and blade it off. Second time round only takes a 10 mins.

When it rains I usually find rain water doesn't leave any marks; its the tap water/shampoo left to dry that does it. So its not uncommon for me to be seen drying the car off with the blade, even though its raining; as getting all the tap water off the car will mean the only water on the car is rainwater, which won't (shouldn't) leave any marks.

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 May 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 17 May 2009, 02:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't recommend using a silicone blade to wipe your car down. Definitely not on a new car, it will cause scratches imho. I'd ask Polished Bliss what they think of the blades when you make an order.
Old 17 May 2009, 03:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Blades only scratch if

a) You don't clean the car properly (leaving dirt/grit to get on the blade and dragged aross the paint).
b) Grit or dirt gets on the blade (wipe frequently)
c) The surface is too dry (use the mist function on a hose pipe spray gun after rinsing)

Got a brand new Seat Altea (well 12months old now) that is used with one weekly from day one of delivery, and it still has zero polish scratches (and considering its black, it a miracle), not to mention the concours paint on the old man's Jag.

Although the turtle-wax/halford blades are shyte). Can't remember what brand I'm using (I have two) But they are over five years old now and still going strong.

Edit: Just looked "Hydra-Flexi-Blade".

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 May 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 17 May 2009, 04:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Blades only scratch if

a) You don't clean the car properly (leaving dirt/grit to get on the blade and dragged aross the paint).
b) Grit or dirt gets on the blade (wipe frequently)
c) The surface is too dry (use the mist function on a hose pipe spray gun after rinsing)

Got a brand new Seat Altea (well 12months old now) that is used with one weekly from day one of delivery, and it still has zero polish scratches (and considering its black, it a miracle), not to mention the concours paint on the old man's Jag.

Although the turtle-wax/halford blades are shyte). Can't remember what brand I'm using (I have two) But they are over five years old now and still going strong.

Edit: Just looked "Hydra-Flexi-Blade".
We shall agree to disagree then good sir
(I'm going by what Polished Bliss advise - I certainly don't have the intelligence to form my own opinions )
Old 17 May 2009, 04:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

No worries.

Just look on it as on par to not rinshing out the sponge properly when washing the car or not bothering to clean the wash leather regularly:- i.e there is risk of scratching during every detailing process of cleaning/polishing/waxing a car.

Removing bugs is nasty: Insects whose exoskelatal remains will scratch if embeded in the cleaning cloth/claybar and using too much elbow grease. Something that proving to be an issue on the Altea, as its based in Spain. B'tards have already left tiny indentations in the paint on the bumper/bonnet from the impact.

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2009, 04:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
No worries.

Just look on it as on par to not rinshing out the sponge properly when washing the car or not bothering to clean the wash leather regularly:- i.e there is risk of scratching during every detailing process of cleaning/polishing/waxing a car.

Removing bugs is nasty: Insects whose exoskelatal remains will scratch if embeded in the cleaning cloth/claybar and using too much elbow grease. Something that proving to be an issue on the Altea, as its based in Spain. B'tards have already left tiny indentations in the paint on the bumper/bonnet from the impact.
Use my lambswool mitt over a sponge Ali - again going by what detailers recommend. That and my arthritic wrist wouldn't let me hold a sponge that long Easier to have a mitt on and flap my arm about.

But I'm not posh enough to have a car in mainland europe yet
Old 18 May 2009, 01:42 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Simon C
Washed the car today and dried it off, then it rained!!!! Now the roof and the bonnet now have severe watermarks on them, when I say severe I mean severe!! We're talking anything up to 2 inch in diameter!!!! Would clay barring the car remove them?? Asking before I spend the entire day tomorrow undoing everything I have just done and redoing it.

Edit

A lot of elbow grease later with detailer, a bit of clay and Blackfire polish and the minor marks and the major ones are less prononced. Guessing with the by hand method you can't get enough breakdown of the compunds to make them fully vanish. Also the car when I picked it up from the dealer was being wiped down with a chamois and the paint shows it. Oh well, roll on payday and PB will be getting another order from me!!! Ont he upside, the BF gloss spray works a treat on the faux chrome on the car
Originally Posted by Simon C
Guess I'm rewashing it as well. It rained lightly this afternoon and the surface is now poc marked with water splashes. Wondering if the megs detailer and the BF polish didn't work well together. (gave the applicator a quick misting of detailer before polishing).
There shouldn't be a compatibility issue between the Megs Quik Detailer and the Blackfire products - the Meguiars product is pretty neutral, and doesn't have anything in it that is likely to react badly to other products. The water spot issue is rather strange - as said above, water marks usually arise from tap water being allowed to dry on the car, not rain water! Unless the rain is particularly salty, then I'm a bit lost to explain it... we use these products a lot in our studio, but have never experienced a similar problem. One thing to check; how long before the wash/rain was the surface protected?