Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Duragloss 901 vs jeffs auto wash

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2009, 05:39 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Duragloss 901 vs jeffs auto wash

I bought the duragloss after the rave reviews but felt a little well perturbed, to me it has better cleaning power and foamed up lovely but the jeffs just decimated it for overall finish after washing does this sound about right or am i expecting too much from it?

Might work very well in a hd lance, what do you reckon pb?
Old 19 January 2009, 12:40 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does work well through the HD lance, but this method uses up a lot of (expensive) shampoo (as you need to quarter fill the bottle with the shampoo). The best value for money foam option by miles is Meguiars Hyper Wash, due to its crazy 400:1 (waterroduct) dilution ratio (compared to only130:1 for most shampoos like Auto Body Wash). My advice is to save the Auto Body Wash for the bucket!
Old 19 January 2009, 04:03 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Ok thanks, out of most i have tried it's a tie between poorboys super suds and jeffs auto wash both have their pluses, what do you advise, i've noticed a new range on your site, gloss it i think was the sealant iirc.
Old 23 January 2009, 03:25 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Tough call between Slick & Suds and Auto Body Wash; I like the lubricity of the Slick & Suds, but the Auto Body Wash seems to rejuvenate the finish a bit more. I have both on my shelf, and use both from time to time, so can't really pick one over the other. Aye, the Gloss It range is new, and offers a little something new in terms of how the products work and the results that can be achieved; I've tried to highlight this in the descriptions in the store, but for an overview, here is a copy of the official feedback we gave Gloss It about their products...

---

Product Evaluation (to date)

In summary, the entire sample set of products has impressed us greatly; there is not a single underperforming product. In all cases the products equal existing products in our line up, and in some cases they better them - you should be proud of this, as our existing line up is extremely good as it stands.

Gloss Shampoo - enjoyable to use, well lubricated, good cleaning power, but no evidence of LSP degradation whatsoever, even when used at double strength

Clay Bars (Mild and Aggressive) - different texture to our existing clays, require more warming up to make them pliable enough for safe use, excellent performance once warm, very little marring, well judged strengths, a joy to use

Extreme Cut - on rock hard paints, outperforms 3M Fast Cut Plus on the rotary at 1800rpm using 3M Green Compounding Pads, offering slightly more outright cut but actually finishing down better, with very little hologramming. On the dual action, works equally well as Menzerna RD3.02 when applied using a Menzerna White Compounding Pad, providing that extra work time is allowed (if you keep the work time the same, the RD3.02 has the edge, but if you work the Extreme Cut for 1-2 minutes longer than you think is necessary, the results and cutting power are equal). A very impressive product, and we loved how the paint feels after using it; noticeably smoother than after using Menzerna.

Evolution Cut - on intermediate paints, equals Menzerna 106FA on the rotary at 1500-1800rpm using 3M Yellow Polishing Pads, offering the same level of cut and finishing quality; however, it did need a tiny drop of (can't say as it's a little secret of ours!) on the pad to make it feel as comfortable to use as the Menzerna product. On the dual action, equals Menzerna 106FA in every way, providing that extra work time is allowed (i.e. a further 1-2 minutes over what you think is initially necessary). Another very impressive product, and we loved how the paint feels after using it; noticeably smoother than after using Menzerna.

Evolution Polish - on soft paints, and for step 2 on hard paints, equals Menzerna 85RD on the rotary at 1000-1500rpm using 3M Blue Finishing Pads, offering the same level of cut and finishing quality; however, it did need a tiny drop of (can't say as it's a little secret of ours!) on the pad to make it feel as comfortable to use as the Menzerna product. On the dual action, equals Menzerna 85RD in every way, providing that extra work time is allowed (i.e. a further 1-2 minutes over what you think is initially necessary). Another very impressive product!

One Step Machine Polish - wow, offers much more cut that the best existing one step polish we know of (Menzerna 106FA), whether on the rotary of the dual action (using 3M Yellow Polishing Pads and Menzerna Orange Polishing Pads respectively). A product that would definitely get a lot of use in our studio for Minor Paint Correction Details, but the only thing to bear in mind is that Menzerna have just launched a rival product (PO203S), and side by side tests reveal little difference in performance - get it released quickly before the Menzerna product gets widespread awareness in the marketplace!

Gloss Activator - went on easily enough, need much longer period of testing to know how much durability it adds.

Gloss Finish - went on and off very easily by hand or machine, no dusting whatsoever, a joy to use! Produced a nice warm razor sharp finish with excellent reflectivity - side by side finish impossible to differentiate from Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, which is our current warm sealant of choice; need much longer period of testing to know how durable it is in our climate.

Signature Gloss - went on and off very easily by hand or machine, no dusting whatsoever, a joy to use! Produced a nice warm razor sharp finish with excellent reflectivity - side by side single coat finish impossible to differentiate from Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, which is our current warm sealant of choice; need much longer period of testing to know how durable it is in our climate. Have yet to test it layered 3X against the Blackfire, but a standalone 3X layered application looked fantastic for sure.

Concourso Gloss - my favourite out of the LSPs; went on and off easier than anything else I have used, and produced a noticeably richer, deeper, wetter finish than anything else used on the test car - durability may be limited, but an amazing product for garage queens and show use.

Signature Tire Gloss - gives a beautiful natural look finish, but durability isn't great in our climate - it lasted only 4-5 days on both test cars following careful and correct application, but the constant rain we are having is a nightmare for all tyre dressings. Blackfire lasts longer, but gives a less natural look. I'm inclined to think this is a great summer dressing for UK use, but won't hold up well through the Oct-Mar period each year, due to the crappy weather.

Gloss Enhancer - outstanding product, the best quick detailer we have ever tested. Whether being used as a clay lube, or as a polishing aid, or for LSP wipedowns, or just plain old quick detailing, it's awesome, and a pure joy to use. Be proud, that long development period was worth it.

(the rest of the e-mail has to be omitted, as it covers our business offer to Gloss-It)

---

We stand by these comments 100%. Further testing has enabled us to get an even better handle on the performance of some of the products (such as getting better durability from the tyre dressing - it's all down to application method), and the methods required are quite different to those required for many other popular products currently available. But different doesn't mean worse; it just means different, and if you can adapt, then you can reap the rewards.
Old 24 January 2009, 07:21 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Thanks for that pb so i have pretty much hit the top shampoos, least for now i thought as much i think i'll use the pb for winter and jeffs for summer use, however the duragloss keeps the crap off far better than the two mentioned especially with all the salt of late.

The concourso gloss now that does have me interested especially if it has the edge on wet diamond, i love auto glyms sealant but it's a royal pita to work with.

You do realise all this ear bendings going to have me spending with you again.

Great being able to pick your brains for advice though.

Last edited by hux309; 24 January 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 26 January 2009, 03:39 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

My pleasure! It's never ending with products; we try not to introduce too much new stuff as it can be overwhelming, expecially to newbies, but if new ranges offer something geniunely different then we can be tempted... like with Gloss It.