Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

help for a beginner wanting to get into machine polishing

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2008, 06:57 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help for a beginner wanting to get into machine polishing

id like to get into machine polishing & im looking at the Kestrel DAS-6 Dual Action Polishing Machine which seems a good start for a beginner & my budget, i have a 406 silver classic in pretty good nick for a 14 year old car only a few light scratches, i plan on using Werkstat Prime Acrylic which pads would be best to use with this? what routine would be best, wash two bucket method,clay, then use the machine with the werkstat on the correct pad?
Old 11 December 2008, 07:35 PM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

So much info that might be best for you to read through Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Car Care Advice - Detailing Services - Scotland - UK
in the car care section. Sure they'd be only too happy to guide you through products/processes too if you gave them a call.
Your heading along the right lines though : rinse, wash two bucket method, clay, machine and then don't forget to protect.
Good luck.
Old 11 December 2008, 07:59 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice mate ive read though the section about it on polished bliss which is great but there is alot to take in, im just unsure as to what pad i should be using with the Werkstat Prime Acrylic & do i use this alone or do i need to use another product before this with another pad?

Last edited by w13dle; 11 December 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11 December 2008, 11:38 PM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

I may get shot down in flames here but I personally don't machine polish with Werkstatt Prime Acrylic, it has a very low cut and is more for the gloss finish, can be applied with just a application pad by hand.
If you want to get a few of the swirl marks out of the bodywork then something a little stronger, e.g. Menzerna 106FA or 85RD. Again somewhere like Polished Bliss could advise what would work best with your machine and for your car.
Comes down to personal choice and budget but good choice getting the Werkstatt kit (Prime Acrylic / Acrylic Jett Trigger / Werkstat Acrylic Glos) on it to bring out & keep a great shine and protect it, used on many a car before with excellent results.
Old 13 December 2008, 11:10 AM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

thanks mate im getting the general gist of it, from what i can make out i can use the Menzerna 106FA or 85RD as you quoted for correction with a light cut pad & then use the werkstat as a finishing product on a glazing pad or by hand
Old 13 December 2008, 03:49 PM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

Yip, that'll get you underway and you'll certainly notice a shine difference.
Good luck with it, even get a couple of before and after pics up to show us your work.
Old 17 December 2008, 06:32 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_WRX
I may get shot down in flames here but I personally don't machine polish with Werkstatt Prime Acrylic, it has a very low cut and is more for the gloss finish, can be applied with just a application pad by hand.
If you want to get a few of the swirl marks out of the bodywork then something a little stronger, e.g. Menzerna 106FA or 85RD. Again somewhere like Polished Bliss could advise what would work best with your machine and for your car.
Comes down to personal choice and budget but good choice getting the Werkstatt kit (Prime Acrylic / Acrylic Jett Trigger / Werkstat Acrylic Glos) on it to bring out & keep a great shine and protect it, used on many a car before with excellent results.
won't get shot down for that mate, that's good advice. if using prime by machine make sure to use a glazing pad that's all it's more of an after the heavier cut stuff it's a paint cleaner rather than a polish. will leave the surface nicely prepped for applying lsp
Old 19 December 2008, 01:29 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Agree with the above, 106FA on a polishing pad followed by Prime Acrylic on a glazing pad would be a sensible introductory approach that would give good correction and leave the paint looking spot on. Obviously clay first and finish with as many coats of Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger as you can manage!