Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss: Gloss-It UK Debut

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2008, 03:16 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Polished Bliss: Gloss-It UK Debut

Done by Clark last week, but posted by me as he's too busy working on an M3 lol!

---

This detail was a 3 day correction detail carried out at the end of this week and I'm afraid to say it was a case of fixing someone else's mess from the dealership yet again (those that are regular readers of our details will know that alot of recent work has come from poor dealership prep, etc).

It was also an opportunity to put to use some of the Gloss-It products that we are going to be taking stock of next week - this is the first new line that we have introduced in a long while, and we think you will all like it a lot.

The car in question was this rather nice Supercharged Elise, which looks great in red - not many in this colour going around:

Already in the morning sun there was evidence of paint defects:

But before I can do anything about them I have to get the car washed, so up first with the pre-foam - Hyper Wash @ 60 degrees and left for 5 minutes:

Then rinsed off:

The wheels were sprayed with Menzerna 7.5 Tyre and Wheel Gel and then agitated with various brushes:

The arches and tyres were also scrubbed with a new high strength APC currently on test:

The shuts and exterior trim were cleaned with the same APC and a brush before rinsing:

Although not really needing it, the hood was cleaned just to be on the safe side:

After the roof was thoroughly rinsed, I washed the car with the 2BM and Gloss-It Gloss Shampoo (love the smell of this stuff!):

Tardis was then used to remove any minor tar spots, including the inner arch lips:

Before:

After:

Another quick rinse followed and I then put the car inside for claying.

Another Gloss-It product for this, the green mild:

This was about as dirty as the clay got:

I then dried the car off with one of our new drying towels:

Now dry, it was time to properly inspect the paint with the 3M Sun Gun.

This revealed signs of previous heavy machine polishing with no refining what so ever:

Sanding micro marring:

There was also quite alot of RIDS and the odd scuff etc:

The usual bits were removed to help make polishing a bit easier:

The paint gauge was checked for accuracy...

...and then used to determine how much paint I had to play with (no metal panels on an elise so the composites gauge was used):

The readings revealed healthy levels all round with no signs of previous paint work.

After playing about with pad and polish combinations (106FA and menz 3.02 were tried but didn’t quite remove the deeper stuff) I settled on Gloss-It Evolution Extreme Cut. I've been using this quite alot recently and it's comparable to the likes of 3M Fast Cut Plus. The Gloss-It polishes are designed to work with Dual Action machines but I’ve grown to really like the Extreme Cut with the Rotary.

I worked the polish with a 3M Polishing Pad @ 1500rpm's, continually checking panel temperatures:

Result:

I wasn’t overly bothered about finishing down all that well so in some of the other correction shots you'll see some light buffer trails courtesy of myself!

Some more correction shots, in no particular order I should add:

Rear bumper before:

After:

50/50 rear end:

Spoiler before:

After:

Front bumper before:

During:

After:

Before:

After:

3" 3M Pads were used at various times for the tighter to reach areas:

Door shut before:

During:

After:

Lower front bumper:

During:

After:

Door fully corrected:

With the Correction work all completed, I then refined the finish further with Menzerna PO85RD and a 3M finishing pad.

The armour fend on the lower back 1/4 was polished up with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish:

This brought the total polishing time to just over 20 hours, which included a 10:30pm finish on Thursday night.

The Elise isn’t a big car but there is alot of paint to polish and a huge amount of awkward sections to break up so they can be polished properly, hence why the correction stage can take so long.

The car was then dusted down with a wool duster and I used masking tape to clean up the hood, which was then protected with 303 and left to dry while the rest of the car was finished:

The paintwork was then given a full wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection to remove any polishing oils:

LSP was the new Gloss-It products. There are several to choose from but I opted to go with Signature Gloss first:

Please note that this is not the bottles that the product comes in. These are just the sample bottles Rich from Gloss-It sent us to let us decide if we thought they were good or not (luckily we thought they were ).

The SG was applied by the G220 and a glazing pad. It can be applied either by hand or machine but I prefer the machine for some reason

The hard to reach areas were done by hand though:

Once buffed off, I topped the Signature Gloss off with Concorso Gloss - again applied via the G220:

The wheels had been sealed the day before by Marsha (who had polished up the tailpipe nicely too) so it was a case of dusting them down and then applying Gloss-It's Tyre dressing.

I've grown to love this product too, you just lightly mist it onto the tyre wall...

...then after 5 mins and a quick wipe round with an applicator it leaves them looking like this:

The tyres received 2 coats of the dressing, one at the beginning of the detail and one near the end.

The interior was given a quick going over too, including a bit of spot cleaning with the Gloss-It leather cleaner and then fed:

The inside glass was cleaned with Eimann Fabrik and the outside glass/headlights were treated to Rain-X. All interior surfaces were wiped down with APC and the mats were given a light shampoo.

The last step to complete the detail was one final wipe down of the paintwork using Gloss-It gloss Enhancer QD:

After using this for around a month now, I can safely say it is now my most favourite QD - As you can probably tell from how much is left!

The owner turned up just as I was giving the car it's final wipe down so we didn’t get as many pictures as I'd have liked, but here's the best of what we got (some are taken with my camera and some taken with Rich's):

By now you'll all know that I give an honest opinion and review of products so hopefully you won't see this as a blatant plug just to push this new line, and at the end of the day - if they weren't good enough, we wouldn’t be using or selling them!

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Clark
Old 07 November 2008, 04:03 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stunning work as always. new products look to be giving a great finish. are you going to be doing some durability testing as well?
Old 08 November 2008, 01:36 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That,s amazing, i want mine doing....
Old 10 November 2008, 05:53 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mneame
stunning work as always. new products look to be giving a great finish. are you going to be doing some durability testing as well?
Aye, as we speak! I've had all of the LSP's on my car for nearly two months now, and all are performing well. The Concorso is starting to show signs of giving up, but it is a water-based sealant designed only for concours and show use, so this is to be expected. The other LSP's are all performing just as well as the polycharged Blackfire test panel (front wing), so happy with the performance so far.
Old 11 November 2008, 01:28 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Aye, as we speak! I've had all of the LSP's on my car for nearly two months now, and all are performing well. The Concorso is starting to show signs of giving up, but it is a water-based sealant designed only for concours and show use, so this is to be expected. The other LSP's are all performing just as well as the polycharged Blackfire test panel (front wing), so happy with the performance so far.
sounds really good. may be tempted to get some to have a play with.
Old 12 November 2008, 02:34 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

right, further from above reply Rich, I've got a mate who is also a customer and he has asked me to find him a new LSP. He currently uses blackfire wdaf. I bought a bottle for me and used his car as a test bed for it. Needless to say i never saw the bottle again So what i'd like to know is when can we get our hands on Gloss it? Judging by the results above i think that he'll like this product.
Old 21 November 2008, 10:26 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Sorry for the delay, me and Ange went away to New York for a long weekend last week, and as a result I'm behind on everything! The stock has arrived and I've done the photography, now all I've got to do is write the product descriptions and code everything into the website. Should be online by the end of next week with a bit of luck!
Old 21 November 2008, 11:25 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

off to NY, i don;t know. alright for some

will keep an eye out in the shop was chased again last night for the lsp that i was suggesting to him.
Old 21 November 2008, 03:15 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Mmmhhh new products.....