Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss: Porsche Cayenne Turbo S...

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2008, 09:31 PM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Bliss: Porsche Cayenne Turbo S...

Monday morning began with me collecting this monster of a 4x4 - which was 2 days old having being handed over to the client on Sat morning, so here it is with 100 miles on the clock:

I was lucky enough to drive the client's last Turbo S too (He has 4 cars on contracts with us) and I have to say I’d have this car over any Range Rover or Q7 any day. I know some people don’t like the looks but I love it and combined with the handling and performance (amongst other things) it ticks all the right boxes for me - the heated steering wheel helps too!

Anyways, enough of me rambling on (as usual) - on with the detail!

The first job was to pre-foam the car with Hyper Wash @ 60 degrees, it was freezing on Monday morning and I could hardly see for the steam at times:

This was left to dwell for 5 mins while I filled my 2 buckets up for the wheels:

I then spend a good 15 minutes thoroughly rinsing every piece of the car:

Menzerna 7.5 was applied to the wheels/calipers/tyres and left for 30 seconds...

...then agitated with various brushes:

Then rinsed off:

I then raised the suspension...

...in order to gain full access to clean the arches:

Meguiars Super Degreaser (4:1) was sprayed...

...Then agitated:

The inner rims and random areas of the arches had some transport wax/protection sealant on them so this was removed with Autosmart Tardis on an old MF:

It was at this point I looked up and caught signs of the paintwork in the morning sun - it didn’t fill me with confidence:

I'd see to that later!

The car was then re-foamed and washed with the 2 bucket method:

Then rinsed off after removing some excess transport wax from the shuts/under the bonnet etc:

The car was then moved inside and clayed with a mild clay we're currently testing:

The paintwork was pretty damn clean but I had to check all panels and glass as the Porsche Dealership is right next to the railway line so we see alot of them coming in with metal filings stuck to the paint etc:

A final rinse outside followed before being dried off.

Back inside again, the paint was measured to check all was well:

Everything was nice and healthy and no signs of bodywork done prior to hand over

I then inspected the paint condition with the Sun Gun and halogens:

This is what I found - and bare in mind this is how a £95,000 car was handed over 2 days previous:

And I’m not done yet!! :doublesho

Disappointing is an understatement, especially as Porsche are usually one of the better Dealerships when it comes to new car prep. Understandably the Client wasn't too impressed and said if it weren't for the fact it was going straight to us then he'd have rejected it.

So, on to correcting the paintwork:

Blackfire Finishing Polish (using up old bottles but effectively the same as 106ff) was used with a 3M Polishing Pad @1500rpms, working the polish with just the weight of the machine worked perfectly:

3M 4" polishing pads were used for the more tighter areas:

I had to swap to a 4" Compounding pad for the rear end where those horrific scratches were:

I'd anticipated having to wet sand this section but luckily the paint was incredibly soft, so after 2 hits of 3M Fast Cut Plus this was the result:

Obviously with the paint being soft, the FCP didn’t exactly finish down too well so I had to refine this part. I tried 85rd and then Final Polish II (more fragile abrasives which work well on soft paint) with the rotary but feint buffer trails could still be seen so I quickly refined with the G220 and 3M Ultrafina:

After approx 16 hours machine polishing the correction work was complete.

The wool duster was then used to remove all traces of polishing dust:

I then gave the car a wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection to remove any polishing oils and leave the paint perfectly prepped for the LSP (Last Step Product):

LSP was Vintage (the Client has his own one now):

With the wax removed and left to "gas", I completed the other jobs:

Wheels were done with PB Wheel Sealant:

Whilst washing the wheels I'd noticed the bolt faces were all chipped for some reason:

So after some Primer and a fine artists brush, they were left looking alot nicer:

Apologies for the out of focus shot, I didn’t realise untill I uploaded it to the computer tonight

Tyres were dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel and buffed off after a couple of hours (they haven't been buffed in the pics):

The engine (mmmmm...550bhp!) was given a quick wipe down with APC and dressed with 303:

The interior was fully detailed and the leather fed with Raceglaze Leather Balm:

One final wipe down later and this was the finished results - how it SHOULD have left the showroom

The sun even came out last night just as I was finishing

I love how you can see the flake all the way to the wing

I've now added this car to my "dream garage" :driver:

Thanks for taking the time to read as always,

Clark
Old 10 October 2008, 04:50 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Looks great as always, it is disgusting how dealers allow some cars to leave there forecourts.
Old 10 October 2008, 06:48 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you really enjoyed doing that.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:59 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

That is one gorgeous motor, definately in my dream garage too. Must be quite handy being able to lift the suspension up, could do with that on the scoob. I've got a job to get a finger in the arches!
I hope the customer passed on the bill after spending his hard earned £95k on that. Utterly amazed at the condition of it. What did they wash it with? A brillo pad!!

Cracking work as usual guys and thanks for taking the time to post it.
Old 13 October 2008, 09:53 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love these cars, totally in your face presence but thats what I like about them. For £95k someone should be losing their job at the dealership for that preparation. Top job as usual Clark.
Old 13 October 2008, 12:47 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

£95k for one of the worst looking 4x4's ever

Recession What recession