Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss vs 20 year old 911 Supersport

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2008, 11:14 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Polished Bliss vs 20 year old 911 Supersport

Done by Clark on Friday last week...

---

Today I was working with a massive smile on my face, as I got to work on one of my all time favourite cars, and this one was a beauty, a pretty rare Supersport:

The car was just in for a 1 day protection detail and as usual, I started the wash stage with the Pre-foam of Hyper Wash @ 60 degrees:

There aren’t many pics of the wash process as (1) it was freezing cold and raining on and off and (2) I left my camera at home so had to use Rich's super duper new one and I was more than a bit worried I’d drop it with my wet hands!

So after the pre-foam and rinse, the wheels and tyres were cleaned with Menzerna 7.5 Tyre and Wheel Gel. The arches and shuts etc were agitated with P21S Auto wash and I then moved onto the fabric hood using this...

I sprayed and then agitated with a fabric brush:

This was then rinsed at low pressure until all the foam was gone.

The car was then washed with the 2BM and a shampoo that's on test, and moved inside for claying.

The paint was surprisingly clean - this is after the whole bonnet:

I then dried the car off and protected the hood with this:

The protectant was left to dry into the fabric while the rest of the detail was carried out:

This 911 is 20 years old and the vast majority of it is still original, so as you would expect - the paintwork has collected it's fair share of scratches!

So out came HD Cleanse...

...which when worked firmly into the paint is capable of doing a lot of filling. I did a quick 50/50 on the bonnet to demonstrate this:

Obviously nowhere near an illusion of full correction, but the paint darkened down nicely...

The HDC was applied to the whole car:

It was then buffed off with the help of Werkstat Carnauba Glos.

LSP of choice was Vintage:

This was applied to the whole car and left while I attended to the other details. The interior was thoroughly vacuumed and given an APC wipe down, the leather cleaned with another product we have on test and it was then fed with Raceglaze Leather Balm. Glass was cleaned with Megs CGC, shuts polished and sealed with Werkstat Prime Strong, rubber seals fed with Raceglaze trim dressing.

The mats were also shampoo'd but I can’t take credit for that bit as this was carried out by my faithfull assistant Marsha - who also did a cracking job of polishing the wheels with Werkstat Prime Strong/NXT Metal Polish and then sealing with PB wheel sealant. The tyres were dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel. My last few jobs were to polish the tailpipe with NXT Metal Polish and dress the exterior trim with Raceglaze trim dressing.

Couple pics of the interior:

And after a final wipe down, here are the afters of the exterior - not bad for a 20 year old car I reckon! (I think I'll be stealing Rich's camera for all my write ups from now on too!)

Next write up will be another solid black Porsche, only it's about 20 years newer and 20 times bigger! Thanks for looking.
Old 09 October 2008, 01:32 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely

Quick Q - why metal polish for the wheels? Surely the unpainted alloy has a lacquer coat or they would tarnish?
Old 09 October 2008, 04:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Scooby Regular

Absolutely gorgeous, top work as always Clark!!
Old 09 October 2008, 05:45 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Can I ask mr Bliss, the polich you used as a filler. Was that applied by hand?

I ask as my little 205gti has terrible swirls scratches etc, but I don't have a machine polisher. I try apply Autoglym SRP quite vigourously but it doesn't do a great deal. Car is graphite grey, so swirls upset the finished article
Old 09 October 2008, 08:03 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Your work just gets better and better great job.
Old 14 October 2008, 05:07 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Devildog
Lovely

Quick Q - why metal polish for the wheels? Surely the unpainted alloy has a lacquer coat or they would tarnish?
They were slightly tarnished, and a quick inspection with the paint gauge confirmed no coating was present - strange, but true! Hence the full on approach to subsequent protection.
Old 14 October 2008, 05:09 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Can I ask mr Bliss, the polich you used as a filler. Was that applied by hand?

I ask as my little 205gti has terrible swirls scratches etc, but I don't have a machine polisher. I try apply Autoglym SRP quite vigourously but it doesn't do a great deal. Car is graphite grey, so swirls upset the finished article
Yep, all by hand on this occasion. Whilst SRP has good filling power, HD-Cleanse has more. Also, the filling power is also dicated by the depth of the defects - if the defects on your 205 are deep, no filler will be able to make that much of an improvement. For maximum filling power, Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze is great, but a pig to use. Poorboys Black Hole is also good, and far easier to use. We chose to use HD-Cleanse in this case simply because the final wax was to be Vintage.