Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

can this be "fixed"

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2008, 02:16 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can this be "fixed"

Looking for a bit of help on a mk5 Golf i've just bought.
several panels look to have been resprayed poorly but i'm hoping they might be brought back to life (with a shine) using paint correction otherwise it's gonna be a respray
I've attached a couple of pics of the bonnet which show "poorly" the paint is dull, has millions of tiny circles - i've tried all sorts of hand applied cutting/ polish/ waxes which made no difference

thanks

Old 14 September 2008, 08:42 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it will mate, it will need machine polishing for best results, VW paintwork is almost impossible by hand and can be hard work by machine.
Old 14 September 2008, 08:55 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

even though it looks to be a bad respray you think it'll come up perfect (or almost)?

any detailers in west yorkshire
Old 14 September 2008, 09:08 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

Providing there is enough laquer and the scratches are in the laquer and not under it, then it should correct to a decent level.
Old 15 September 2008, 10:43 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

as above, as long as the defects are in the lacquer and not underneath it, you should be able to improve it. personally i'd wetsand the whole car and then machine polish it. i doubt it will ever be perfect, but could be improved upon.
Old 15 September 2008, 12:14 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Should be fixable to a high standard; pin holing may be a problem, but you never know this until you get cracking at it anyway. Best bet is to go onto Detailing World and ask for pro help in the north of england section; those near to you will respond, and you will be able to check out their work in the studio section before you commit to them.
Old 23 September 2008, 09:20 PM
adam6900
Scooby Regular

Looks like they are DA scraches from poor prep work
Old 23 September 2008, 10:28 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Called into a bodyshop today for their opinion - 1st guy (manager) said it was under the laquer so would need the panels respraying 2nd guy (supervisor?) said it might come up with a machine polish but as they didn't know how much laquer was on the panels this might make things worse - too much polishing might go through the laquer?

Now i don't know what to do?????
Old 26 September 2008, 02:28 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

If the circular sanding marks and micromarring is under the clearcoat (i.e. in the surface of the pigment layer) then a respray will be required in order to fix the problem. However, if the defects are in the clearcoat, then there is a good chance they will come out - just check out the Germany's finest thread we posted two weeks ago to see us removing exactly this type of defect on an AC Schnitzer. Determining in which layer the defects lie can usually be done by eye. Shame the bodyshop chaps didn't get together and give you a single more considered opinion. If you have the time to visit a pro detailer in your region it would be worthwhile. Paul at North East Detailing, Professional Car Cleaning, Mobile Detailing Services by Wonder Detail is worth contacting for his opinion, as is Glyn at auto-glyn — Welcome to Auto-Glyn.com - ring me 07930 949 821 now to book!.
Old 26 September 2008, 02:29 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

See this for an extreme example of what can be fixed (scroll down to the last car shown)...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...k-germany.html