Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Something I tried...

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2008, 07:55 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something I tried...

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has tried this before but...

I thought I would share a recent new stage I've added to the car cleaning. I know, I know... the last thing we need is another stage but I don't know about anyone else but I've had two problems when it comes to washing/drying the car, mainly due to hard water conditions:

First, is getting a lather up of the suds due to hard water conditions in the SE. I found that this, despite two bucket method and using all the right gear, that I was still creating minor swirl marks due to lack of suds and thus lubrication.

Second, is the heat the and sunshine at this time on the year. This is more of a problem when the car colour is dark (or black in my case). The water can evaporate quickly, and esp in hard water areas, can leave calcium carbonate welded to the car, which will mean polishing to remove - not something you want to do everytime you clean the car!!

I ordered some Megs Last Touch Detailer from PB with the plan to use it to add more lubricant to the wash stage and also as a prep stage prior to drying to help avoid dry marks.

Process involved rinsing the car down with water, spraying 1:1 mix of Last Touch over the car before washing with BF car wash (two bucket, lamb mitt etc). I found that the mitt glided much better, the suds were thicker and so altogether a better clean. Once the car was then rinsed, I sprayed the 1:1 mix over the car again before drying with Mothers foam weave towells. Again, much better results with no water marks.

Finished the pocess with another coat of wax as per usual... must have had about 6 coats in 6 weeks!!

Anyway, I thought I would share this for those who have had problems with hard water.

Would be interested to hear other peoples approaches and what the expert detailers think... Am I wasting my time/money? Any other approaches?

I could get a water filter for the place, but I'm in a rented property. Aquagleam filters also cost too much imo and have heard mixed reviews.

Thanks all
Ross
Old 27 July 2008, 08:04 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

That sounds like a good idea, I will give that a try next time as I have the same probs as you. I won't but the hose flter either, main reason being I wash the car too much. It would only last a couple of weeks !!!
Old 27 July 2008, 11:06 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Interesting. I have heard of people using a quarter tablet of calgon in the water and dissolving before using it to make the water softer. Break down the calcium carbonates I suppose but I have never brought myself to do it thinking it might harm the paint.

I have heard that a lot more people are now using a detailer cut 1:1 to dry the car off. Although a leaf blower seems a lot easier!!!
Old 31 July 2008, 09:08 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Sounds like a great solution to a significant problem to me - nice one for experimenting and sharing! In addition to the 'extra lube'method, I guess adding anything harmless to the water that will shift the pH to between 5 and 6 will help to dissolve the carbonates and soften the water greatly. The question is, what would be entirely harmless, easy to use to get the right pH and also wouldn't diminish the lubricity of the shampoo? I'll put my thinking cap on...
Old 01 August 2008, 10:19 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Sounds like a great solution to a significant problem to me - nice one for experimenting and sharing! In addition to the 'extra lube'method, I guess adding anything harmless to the water that will shift the pH to between 5 and 6 will help to dissolve the carbonates and soften the water greatly. The question is, what would be entirely harmless, easy to use to get the right pH and also wouldn't diminish the lubricity of the shampoo? I'll put my thinking cap on...
Thanks PB.... Always appreciate your input (thanks for the excellent service, delivery etc on my last order - much appreciated).
Old 01 August 2008, 10:41 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of these as a pre rinse would be good too.

Super Spray - Just clip the hose and spray

and or a Gilmour to lube before each go with the mitt/schmitt.

I tend to foam(pre-rinse), leave, rinse. Then the wash, lube section with gilmour, wash section with mitt, rinse mitt, gilmour, wash with mitt etc etc.

These days, of all my foaming toys, the most useful are a rinse bucket and a gilmour and thats all you need IMHO.

The new dodo juice shampoo 'Born to be Mild' is supposed to be excellent too.

I also put a blob of shampoo on my schmitt before I begin the wash and get it all foamy to start.
Old 01 August 2008, 12:22 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I've thought about getting a Gilmore but not sure I have enough hose pressure as I have to run a 50m hose from the bathroom tap (don't ask)..
Old 01 August 2008, 01:44 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 53WRX
One of these as a pre rinse would be good too.

Super Spray - Just clip the hose and spray

and or a Gilmour to lube before each go with the mitt/schmitt.

I tend to foam(pre-rinse), leave, rinse. Then the wash, lube section with gilmour, wash section with mitt, rinse mitt, gilmour, wash with mitt etc etc.

These days, of all my foaming toys, the most useful are a rinse bucket and a gilmour and thats all you need IMHO.

The new dodo juice shampoo 'Born to be Mild' is supposed to be excellent too.

I also put a blob of shampoo on my schmitt before I begin the wash and get it all foamy to start.
btbm is by far the best shampoo i've ever had in the bucket. i normall use megs hyper in the foam gun and poorboys sss in the bucket. forget the sss, 3 capfulls of the btbm is more than enough. works it's way through bugs and doesn't harm wax layers.