Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

New to detailing and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 10:01 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to detailing and need help!

Hi guys, just recently I have been looking around in the care care section and I am very impressed! I thought I clean my car a lot and polish it well. How wrong I was! I do everything wrong so been trying to pick up tips.
Now, I dont want to buy a machine polisher as I would prob ruin my paintwork and it seems quite difficult to get it right. Basically my paintwork has lots of swirl marks all over that look like the cobweb effect when in sunlight! I thought it always looked well polished and shiny and never noticed these imperfections! THANKS GUYS
Anyway, now that I know about them I need to get rid of them. What is the easiest/quickest way by hand? Is there a product you can simply apply like a polish that will get rid of them? What about meguiars scratch x?

Last edited by Clarkie172; 27 June 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:08 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

remove by hand? no chance,well unless your superman or have a lot of time on your hands

get yourself a pc 7424,you really can't do any harm as long as your using the right pads and compounds.really is the only way to get good results.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:19 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Wheres the best place for one? See just reading quicly on a few threads, everyone goes on about all the different pads/compounds etc etc I have not got a clue! Is there lots of things I would need to buy?
Old 28 June 2008, 04:57 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

tried scratch x today on a few minor hairline marks and it didn't seem to do a lot. Full Meguiars 3 step tomorrow! Failing that, I'll have to learn to use a machine!
Old 29 June 2008, 07:05 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

I have no machine as yet, so have done mine all by hand, took me 3 days in total. First up was Menzerna Intensive polish, the blackfire Gloss enhancing polish, then to protect it all Blackfire Midnight sun ivory wax.

All brought from PolishedBliss.
Old 29 June 2008, 07:11 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
tried scratch x today on a few minor hairline marks and it didn't seem to do a lot. Full Meguiars 3 step tomorrow! Failing that, I'll have to learn to use a machine!
Polished Bliss sell some machines Clarkie and they have a section on how to use em properly etc, mines the same, Ive gone from a black scoob to a black Evo and in sunny weather, black shows up imperfections like nobodies business

Going to see about getting it polished properly sometime, by machine most likely, be careful with the scoob because the paint is notoriously thin.
Old 30 June 2008, 09:06 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
I have no machine as yet, so have done mine all by hand, took me 3 days in total. First up was Menzerna Intensive polish, the blackfire Gloss enhancing polish, then to protect it all Blackfire Midnight sun ivory wax.

All brought from PolishedBliss.
This is a really great set of products for getting the best possible finish by hand; yes it will require some hard work, but the results will be good. More info on hand correction of Subaru paint, along with piccies, can be found on this stickly thread....

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...d-machine.html

Old 30 June 2008, 10:08 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
This is a really great set of products for getting the best possible finish by hand; yes it will require some hard work, but the results will be good. More info on hand correction of Subaru paint, along with piccies, can be found on this stickly thread....

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...d-machine.html

That link mate is

Cheers again, Ive got an Evo now, I know Scooby paint is thin but Ive also heard the same about the Evo's, in some cases (mines an E8) only 80-90 microns...is this true...
Old 30 June 2008, 10:38 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It varies; some are thick, the highest we've seen was a constant 140-150 microns (solid red Evo IX), but others have been crazy thin (less than 70 microns all over!). My advice would be to get along to a detailing meet and get some readings done before deciding what to do. On a scary thin car, glazing may be the only safe way to proceed, and some of the new glazes like Poorboys Black Hole are really, really good, and will help to hide a lot of the defects. However, if you find you have more paint to play with, then starting with Menzerna Final Polish II on a polishing pad makes a lot of sense, as you will cut quite well without removing too much paint, and you can always glaze afterwards if needs be. If you are lucky and have a lot of paint, then you can proceed as per the Subaru guide linked above, and expect 99% correction.
Old 30 June 2008, 10:44 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
It varies; some are thick, the highest we've seen was a constant 140-150 microns (solid red Evo IX), but others have been crazy thin (less than 70 microns all over!). My advice would be to get along to a detailing meet and get some readings done before deciding what to do. On a scary thin car, glazing may be the only safe way to proceed, and some of the new glazes like Poorboys Black Hole are really, really good, and will help to hide a lot of the defects. However, if you find you have more paint to play with, then starting with Menzerna Final Polish II on a polishing pad makes a lot of sense, as you will cut quite well without removing too much paint, and you can always glaze afterwards if needs be. If you are lucky and have a lot of paint, then you can proceed as per the Subaru guide linked above, and expect 99% correction.
Thanks very much mate, better get my ar$e over to detailing world