Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Gunk stuff on brand new Corsa, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 01:45 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gunk stuff on brand new Corsa, how to remove?

Hi guys, I have recently bought a brand new Corsa as a delivery car. It is white in colour and recently I washed the car but there are like 3 gunk stains on the sills. When i open the doors and look underneath, I realise there are 3 openings on both doors (the car is a 3 door btw). It seems as though it was some gunk type sealant or something that leaked through. Now I want to remove it but dont know what with. The gun at first was clear with a slight yellow tint but since has caught lots of dirt so defo needs removing

Would degreaser do the trick?
Old 27 January 2008, 01:46 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

O btw i would like to note im an old member. I am kilo_... if you remember. Webby wouldnt let me change my username so i had to register a new account
Old 27 January 2008, 04:31 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Degreaser will prob shift the marks but if not try some cleaner fluid, then possibly use a sealent in the area after to protect it for when it happens next
Old 27 January 2008, 07:50 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Tim thanks for the reply mate, I dont think it would happen again as it doesnt seem fresh. We got the car more or less straight from factory i.e. car was built to order and collected the day after it was delivered to our local dealership so am assuming it was some fresh sealant or something.

Btw I have bought some degreaser but apart from the engine bay what other type of stuff is it for. I mean besides "for grease" what exactly is it for?

Btw I have some tar dots on the car and on white it is very noticable when up close which i hate. Would I have to get some Tardis and if so how would i apply it? Do I dilute and apply to the areas, leave for a while to work its magic and then foam the car?
Old 27 January 2008, 09:58 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Not used the tardis myself as have 5 gallons of AG glue and tar to use up! From what I've read its a trade product and needs diluting, spray on, leave and rinse off once its loosened the tar. I imagine if you apply, soak then rinse and foam you're on the right track but as said not used it...YET!
The door marks your getting sound like the stuff they apply to prevent rust etc and it must be washing out from the door lining. I've used degreaser for door shuts, engine bays, boot closings and cleaning the chip pan

Tim
Old 28 January 2008, 09:09 AM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Bomford
Not used the tardis myself as have 5 gallons of AG glue and tar to use up! From what I've read its a trade product and needs diluting, spray on, leave and rinse off once its loosened the tar. I imagine if you apply, soak then rinse and foam you're on the right track but as said not used it...YET!
The door marks your getting sound like the stuff they apply to prevent rust etc and it must be washing out from the door lining. I've used degreaser for door shuts, engine bays, boot closings and cleaning the chip pan

Tim
you could always use the megs clay kit. (halfords £20) that will shift the tar spots
Old 28 January 2008, 09:55 AM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Bomford

Tim
Hey tim thanks for the reply matey, I think i may as well get hold of some Tardis as a friend of mine gets lots of Auto Smart products on the cheap.

Will get some and let you know if it works its wonders
Old 28 January 2008, 07:05 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Tis supposed to be the mutts nutts but got loads of AG just before this was launched dammit!
I'd welcome your feedback on it
Old 28 January 2008, 10:44 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Btw Tim do you think TFR would do the job?
Old 29 January 2008, 06:22 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Probably not mate.
Old 29 January 2008, 03:29 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The marks are probably either residue from the transport wraps (had them on my Leon when delivered from new) or transport wax itself. Tardis will shift both types of contamination along with your tar spots - awesome product to have on the shelf for tasks like this.
Old 01 February 2008, 12:12 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Hey PB didnt see this reply. Also could you tell me, do i need to apply tardis with an applicator or do i need to dilute and spray on?
Old 01 February 2008, 12:27 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Spray on neat, allow to work for 45 secs, then wipe over panels with plush microfibre, then rinse with water - job done! Stubborn residues may need a second application and a little gentle wiping with the towel.
Old 01 February 2008, 01:49 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Would this be after a first wash (rinse, foam, rinse, two bucket method)?
Old 01 February 2008, 05:03 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Yep, after the wash, but before claying (if you plan to do this).