Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

First time detail - brain hurting - help!

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2007, 05:37 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time detail - brain hurting - help!

I am gutted that I never read up on the car detailing side of things before, coming up to 2 years of Scoob ownership and only ever done what I thought was a good clean (bucket of Mer suds using one of those 'special' grey sponges with fabric on one side, chamois and the occasional Mer polish, wheels using AutoGlym cleaner and sealant)

T'other night when it was cold (which one I hear you ask), I went out to put my car in the garage and the light cast from the streetlamp shone on the roof and I was horrified to see the rain marking. I have noticed since that rain just sits on the car even when I put it away which no doubt helps cause this nastiness.

Anyway, done loads of reading on here since (some top stuff from Polished Bliss), but I now have a major headache trying to work out what I should buy (Mer is definately only seeing the light of day on the family motor).

Car is a WR Blue WRX BlobEye with light swirling/

What I have decided on is using a lambswool mitt (or the TurtleWax microfibre mitt) and the 2 bucket method with Megs (trying to use the lingo but not pretending to know owt) NXT wash, drying with a Megs waffle towel. Then I am going to get the Megs Quik Clay kit and give it a going over. Now comes the questions.....

1) Will a Quik Clay kit (one bar and one squirty detail bottle for lube) be enough?
2) Should I cut the bar in 2 or use as a whole one?
3) What is the product I should use next - Megs stage1 cleaner?
4) Do I then need a polish that will help with the swirls?
5) Do I need a machine to help with swirls or will elbow grease suffice?
6) Want an easy wax as I'm a virgin - liquid or tub? Brand?
7) How many cloths, towels, applocators do I need to do all these steps?
8) If I plump for the more cash option - would Zymol HD Cleanse and Carbon Wax be enough for post-claying or are there other things needed?
9) I also like the sound of DoDo Lime prime and purple haze but are these and Zymol a step to far for a first time charlie?

Cheers for any pointers as I am changing my mind as to what to do every time I read a new thread!
Old 28 November 2007, 06:39 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

1) Will a Quik Clay kit (one bar and one squirty detail bottle for lube) be enough?

one clay kit should be enough to do a whole car.

cut it up into 3 just incase you drop it on the floor. if you drop it, BIN it

that would be a good choice.

Yes

Best to but if you do not have a machine polisher I would use Meg Scratch X to remove light swirls

Liquid. i'm a big meg fan so I use NXT wax

7) How many cloths, towels, applocators do I need to do all these steps?

for everything above you would need at least 5 MICROFIBRE towels

9) I also like the sound of DoDo Lime prime and purple haze but are these and Zymol a step to far for a first time charlie?

once again i'm a meg fan so i would use Meg #7 glaze

This is not the best place to ask detailing questions. Go to A world for detailers...

Good bunch of people on there
Old 28 November 2007, 09:54 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ray. I could spend a fortune on Megs stuff but some of the stuff I read said it doesn't last long and other stuff is much longer lasting for a little more $$$. Having 2 nippers and a missus means not much time for my own stuff so can't spend a day every other week detailing.

For question 4, I meant what polish can do the swirls as the Megs stage2 says no cutting agents, so figured this would be no use. Would really like 2 stages due to lack of time, so a cleaner/polish/swirl fixer in one and a finish wax.
Old 29 November 2007, 12:58 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

cutting agent you would need Scratch X (hand) or Meg #80 or #83 but you will need a machine polisher

once you move into machine polishing you'll be looking at spending £200 on kit

you could pay a detailer to remove swirls for you (£200-£300)
Old 29 November 2007, 01:36 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

So I guess the steps would be clean, dry, clay, (clean again maybe), scratchX (with lots of elbow grease), cleanse, (polish), wax?

I am seriously considering spending a bit more and going Zymol for the HD Cleanse and Carbon/Japon wax (hopefully not needing the polish stage).
Old 29 November 2007, 10:14 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on the other polishes and wax's as i've not tried them b4
Old 30 November 2007, 10:06 AM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Another change of direction for me now. After speaking to Polished Bliss I am going to go the Blackfires route. When I finally get my stuff and have a go I will maybe show how I got on (if I remember to take pics).

Trending Topics

Old 30 November 2007, 12:31 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ray_li
This is not the best place to ask detailing questions. Go to A world for detailers...

Good bunch of people on there
Cheers for that, much appreciated.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:38 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drift_King
Another change of direction for me now. After speaking to Polished Bliss I am going to go the Blackfires route. When I finally get my stuff and have a go I will maybe show how I got on (if I remember to take pics).
It's always good to see piccies showing how people get on with different products. As I said on the phone, there are various options for folk in this situation. The simplest is to start out by improving the finish greatly by claying, then glazing (to hide the defects and boost gloss) and finally then sealing with either a wax or sealant (to lock the glaze in and protect the surface). The Blackfire range is ideal for this, and looks ace on mid blues.

The more complex option is to go down the paint correction route, either by hand (doable with products like Menzerna Intensive Polish, but VERY hard work!) or machine (using a tool like the new Meguiars Dual Action Polishing Machine and Menzerna Pro polishes). You can normally get 80-90% defect correction working by hand, but for a perfect finish a machine is a must, as Subaru paint is on the hard side. If you need any more advice at any point, don't hesitate to give me a call, or fire away on here.

Old 30 November 2007, 12:41 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Old 30 November 2007, 02:50 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

As I'm sure many have said before and many will say in the future - thanks to Polished Bliss for good knowledgeable advice on the phone
Old 30 November 2007, 05:46 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
No Problem. Need to work on your response time tho
Old 30 November 2007, 07:00 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My last Scooby was mica black which I also made the mistake of washing with a sponge and one bucket. By the time i realised the error of my ways it was too late and the damage was done - bad swirls. To try to rectify the situation I used the Menzerna Intensive polish supplied by Polished Bliss, of course. I applied by hand which as they say is very hard going. My strategy was to tackle one panel a day and then retire. Anyway it did help but I think in my case a machine was needed.

Nick
Old 30 November 2007, 10:52 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Yer should be though only clay mine maybe twice a year.

Wouldnt like to hold a much smaller bar if im honest.

personally i use poorboys professional polish

polishes by hand help reduce swirls however for total removal portercable or simular will be req`d.

you can still be suprised how they can be reduced/masked by hand.

do you want a great finish or an easy wax-best compromise is p21s though would recommend doin it at least 4times a yr (it dont stay on the car as long as other waxes-if you dont mind harder work and a better finish collinite 915 aint much more money at about £25 inc postage from most places)

7) How many cloths, towels, applicators do I need to do all these steps?
Bet ive got at least 10 microfibre cloths 8 sponge applicators 4 microfibre sponge blocks 6 microfibre applicators but i tend to do alot of other cars aswell.

By hand though youre generally looking at about 4 or 5 stages if doin a big job so 4 or 5 sponge applicators i wash em all out after but try an keep wax ones for wax polish for polish etc-used one once on me car with some dried polish still on it unknowingly-nightmare to lose the scratches after in the wax.

8) If I plump for the more cash option - would Zymol HD Cleanse and Carbon Wax be enough for post-claying or are there other things needed?
Dont like zymol much if im honest,not enough shine on my colour regardless of protection,at this price like swissvax better.

Mates just tried it on a simular colour blue to yours (vauxhall astra vxr arden blue)and didnt rate it-likes collinite 915 better.

Mine after Sonus sfx3/sonus pre wax cleanser/collinite 915
2006_0101today0004-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mates astra vxr after Chemical guys jetseal then p21s concours carnauba wax(didnt have time to use collinite)
IMAG0020.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMAG0017.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMAG0015.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by ukdave; 30 November 2007 at 11:05 PM.