Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Another newbie polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2007, 08:42 PM
David Pinkerton
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie polishing question

Hi
I have a Suzuki XL7 in Biege and an Astra sri in moonland (Wifes car ) and currently use Turtle wax platinum precision car wax and protective extra gloss for the paintwork and wheels ,T W wet and black for the tyres and rain racer for the windows (similiar to rain x ).
In the last year I have t cut both cars once and polish approx every 3 weeks
and am confident all the crap /tar is removed when polished .
I am confused with all the waxes ,sealers ,polishes etc recommended on this site but would like some advice re what to use to keep the cars and wheels really shiny and clean ,and also would I need to clay them before applying ,(both are o6 reg .)
Thanks in advance .
David
Old 29 October 2007, 05:14 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Before I come back to you with a full plan, can you confirm if both colours are metallic or solid please?
Old 30 October 2007, 12:39 AM
David Pinkerton
Scooby Newbie

Hi
Sorry they are metallic
Thanks
Old 30 October 2007, 10:15 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Hi Dave, ok then, in that case I would go with our JEFFS Werkstat Acrylic Kit, as it looks fantastic on light metallic and pearlescent finishes, and offers terrific durability. The kit also comes with all the necessary applicator pads and buffing towels. Here is the recommended routine for using it...

Wash (ideally every week)

Basic Wash Kit £34.85 - Basic Wash Kit

Clay (once every six months, to remove bonded surface contaminants - trust your fingertips to tell you whether the paint needs claying or not)

Meguiars Quik Clay Kit £11.95 - Meguiars Quik Clay

Polish/Protect (polish every six months after claying, then protect every 4-6 weeks for best results)

JEFFS Werkstat Acrylic Kit £42.25 (Special Offer) - JEFFS Werkstatt Acrylic Kit

The Prime Acrylic basecoat is a light finishing polish that lays down a tough initial coat of acrylic protection whilst deep cleansing the paint; you should use it once every six months after claying. Acrylic Jett Trigger is a pure spray sealant that should be used to add more gloss and protection every 4-6 weeks; the more layers you build up, the better the finish will get in terms of wetness and durability. The Acrylic Glos is a quick detailing spray, and can be used to help boost gloss, lubricate when drying off after washing and loosen the residues of Prime and Trigger if you find them hard to remove. Here are full instructions for the first major detail with the products...

After washing and claying, start out by applying a basecoat of Prime Acrylic using the white side of the Ultimate German Applicator Pad, and buff off this residue using the blue Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel, using a spritz of Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. Then apply a coat of Acrylic Jett Trigger by spraying onto one of the coral Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels, wiping over the panel and then buffing off with the other Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel, again using a spritz of Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. Then simply follow the above routine, adding a fresh coat of Acrylic Jett Trigger every 4-6 weeks. Apply all products to both paint and alloys wheels.

For some example pics of what this system looks like on light metallics, see this example thread we posted...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...hite-grey.html