Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Rained off before I could seal - what now?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2007, 07:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rained off before I could seal - what now?

Today I polished the whole car with a Megs Yellow Pad and Megs 83 before following up with VM Clearcote Hand Glaze (I didn't know if 83 hand glaze oils or not but figured there was no harm in more glaze - can anyone clarify?).

At this point the car was looking good and I was ready to seal her up with Poorboy EXP but the weather thought otherwise and it started to pour down.

What should I do to get the car sealed up? Can I wait a week and give it a quick once over wash then do it? The car will be driven no more than about 40 miles between now and then? Would I be best to do it tomorrow by quickly scooting over it with some quick detailer and then sealing up? This might seem stupid but will the rain wash out all the glazing oils?

FYI the car will be stored in a car port so it won't get continously wet over the next week (a little dusty though).
Old 15 September 2007, 10:17 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

First of all m8 i would go back over with a polishing pad and #80 just incase #83 has left hollowgramming......83 is a compound which is quite abbrasive and you may get a better finish after the #80.

Personally i would seal/wax straight after due to the fact the cars paint aint protected.
Old 16 September 2007, 02:39 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It really doesn't need the 80 to be honest. I actually didn't find 83 that abrasive either although I have no frame of reference being a noob. It certainly didn't get rid of all the swirls and I gave it a proper working (defo improved the car a lot though). My mission was to make the car presentable for sale and I've achieved that - if I was doing a scooby with paint in the same condition as mines then I'd try and heavier cut pad and possibly (if that failed) move up to a heavier cut polish as well. I figure my swirls must qualify as 'bad' even though to my completely untrained eye they just looked fairly normal.

I can say this though - there's a lot to be said for buying a car from new and not letting it get into such bad shape in the first place!
Old 17 September 2007, 05:25 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i'd clay the car and then use a finer polish as mentioned above. I'm not familier with the megs polishes, but if num 83 is a compound you'll be best to go over with the finer one before sealing. bit of a pain to go through it all again but worth the effort
Old 21 September 2007, 08:19 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Back to the original question, I'd wait until after the next wet wash before adding the protection; wiping down with QD after rain is asking for trouble in terms of inflicting fresh marring or worse. #83 can be broken down LSP ready by rotary, and also by PC if you work it well enough, but as always, for the best possible finish it's always worth following up with a finishing polish like #80 (if you have the time!).