Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Started to detail the RA

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2007, 12:35 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Started to detail the RA

I bought some cracking products from Polished Bliss last week and borrowed a porta cable, cheers Phil. So last night, as it was dry, i thought i'd start to clean the new scooby.

washed with megs hyper clean using the 2 bucket method and lambswool washmit i then clayed the car with megs quick detailer as lubricant and wasn't surprised when it turned brown after only a few passes. washed again as before and rinsed off. dried with microfibre towel.

then out came the porta cable. first off i tried the menzerna intensive polish. it worked pretty well. but i thought i'd be brave, and i mean brave as i don't have access to a ptg, i opened up the menzerna power gloss. wow is all i can say. even after using this, there was no marring and the depth to the now very red paint was amazing. i then followed this up again with the menz intensive polish and followed with final polish II and one step acrylic jacket.

unfortunately i didn't get the whole car done as it started to rain . but i did get the bonnet and the front wings done. another bummer is i wanted to get cracking so badly that i haven't taken any before pics but there's still plenty of the car left for that.

when i came out to the car this morning the bonnet and wings were dry where the water had just run off and the rest was beading nicely. i just hope that i can get the car finished tonight or at least tucked up in my dad's garage as i don't want the paint unprotected for any longer than i have too.

I'll get some pics taken later of how far i get tonight.
Old 16 May 2007, 01:02 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power gloss is great but has a 10 cut and is harsh as hell - im suprised it left no maring though - even so you still followed up with the other 2 though
Old 16 May 2007, 01:08 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

i bought it because of how much cut it had as the paintwork on the rs was covered in swirls. looked like it had been washed with a brillo pad.

but yes i was very surprised that it left no maring. it was expensive to buy all the gear in one go but i'm glad i did. i'll never look back to megs 3 step. just doesn't cut (pardon the pun) the mustard or paint in this case

eta - yes still followed up as i wanted the best possible shine etc. no point in half measures. plus as i've only borrwed the porta cable i'm not sure when i'd be able to go over it again. i want to correct the paint as much as possible now so that i can maintain it in the future. well that's the plan anyway

Last edited by V4JDMSTi; 16 May 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 16 May 2007, 03:56 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Very surprised you had to use PG,mostpeople use this as a last resort also jap paint is pretty soft.

Look forward to the piccys
Old 16 May 2007, 04:09 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scudy23
also jap paint is pretty soft.
Is it? I though scoob paint was hard.
Old 16 May 2007, 04:09 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

there were some pretty hefty marks on the bonnet. i've not used a porta cable before either so wasn't sure how many passes to make, at what speed or what pressure. seems to have done the trick though.

to remove the really bad marks i think i'll need to wet sand the section. bit tentative about doing this though.

will try to get some pics tonight. raining again here at the moment. still could be some good beading shots.
Old 16 May 2007, 04:13 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

this is my canvas. untouched by me at this point.

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2007, 10:46 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

In my experience Scooby paint ranges from moderately hard to rock hard; the big P1 detail I did a year ago was a long slog by PC, and in some cases PowerGloss is going to be necessary. Be wary about wetsanding without a gauge though; PowerGloss is one thing, wetsanding a whole lot more serious. Keep us posted, good to hear you're getting on well with it.
Old 18 May 2007, 10:21 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
In my experience Scooby paint ranges from moderately hard to rock hard; the big P1 detail I did a year ago was a long slog by PC, and in some cases PowerGloss is going to be necessary. Be wary about wetsanding without a gauge though; PowerGloss is one thing, wetsanding a whole lot more serious. Keep us posted, good to hear you're getting on well with it.
am i best to try with the IP first and then use the PG if needed rather than going over the whole thing with PG? my instinct says yes due to the lack of PTG and what i've done so far. but being new to this i'd rather double check before going any further.

yup very wary about wetsanding. i think i'll admit defeat on the area if it won't come out with PG. Would rather have a slight mark left than having to get the car repainted. I'll get some pics up to show the problem area.

the products are cracking. it just goes to show that a little money spent on some good products goes a long way. cheers for recommending them. Btw, don't let onto my missus, but i've ordered a PC

I'm off this afternoon and the weather seems like it might hold out. So i'll be back outside and detailing if it does.
Old 18 May 2007, 09:57 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Aye, always better to make 2-3 attempts with a less aggressive product first before breaking out the big guns; I rarely use Power Gloss, I'd rather stick at it with IP for multiple attempts. Paint removal rate with PowerGloss increases significantly, not dangerously so, but still better to be cautious.
Old 18 May 2007, 11:53 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

well it was a nice afternoon so i got out there with all the gear. i should have been going to japfest tomorrow but my father in law is very ill in hospital so i'd rather not make the journey incase i'm needed here. but i done the ra just incase i went.

still here's a couple of pics of some paint correction and a reflection shot. the reflection shot is a bit grainey as it was getting dark when i took it.

pre paint correction

with it corrected. well as best i can. bear in mind i'm new to all this:

and the side on shot. has had 2 bucket method, claybar, wash, rinse, menz IP and PG where needed, then final polish II, one step acrylic jacket and jeffs werkstat (sp) carnuba kit.

Old 24 May 2007, 12:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Looking good mate

You didn't need to buy one I only really use mine once a year
Old 24 May 2007, 12:44 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Phil. but i think i've caught the bufty illness off Frayz