Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

No frills,no clay,no big expense,no long write up

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 11:25 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No frills,no clay,no big expense,no long write up

Anyone who knows me off of Subaru-impreza.org knows i try out a few waxes/polishes etc mainly the good value ones, though have tried-

swissol samurai wax (with the cleaner fluid)aswell as their best of show wax

zymol hd cleanse and their japon wax

Pinnacle souveran paste wax(brilliant on black and red)

jeffs werkstatt (carnauba system)

pinnacle and meguiars clay systems

now on to the ones i`d recommend

mothers reflections wax and top coat-cracking stuff

poorboys professional polish

Poorboys polish with carnauba/blue and poorboys Ex-struggling to beat both of these for ease of use/shine and price.

P21s cleanser and concours carnauba wax for their price they`re unbelieveable.

the pics below are after single use of each product though visit .org if ya want any more info-the cars arent clayed/prepd in anyway beforehand unless stated though are in gd shape to start with.

lees 22yr old series 1 rst results after using poorboys polish with carnauba blue-most of its life its been treated to autoglym super resin,though has never been clayed-ever! when lee got it i converted him to poorboys and p21s thats all its ever seen (other than one going over with best of show wax quite a while bk)pics after polishing last wk.This is the best ive seen it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC00117.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC00116.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC00112.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC00113.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC00114.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC00118.jpg

and after a quick rub over with p21s concours carnauba wax

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0turbo/pic.jpg

My car-regularly use poorboys products and P21s on it though have tried the expensive stuff with average results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/DSC00124.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/PICT0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...PICT0001-1.jpg

above 3 pics were took after i`d used poorboys polish with carnauba blue on it,took me about an hour an a half tops after id washed it to do.

an one pic after using p21s on it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/de316468.jpg

mothers reflections wax/top coat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/8b9e215b.jpg

none of the above are what i`d class as expensive products but ive just posted these as ive seen more value in any of these than the more expensive stuff ive used,with nowhere near as much effort required.

Im sure there`ll be a few ppl sticking up for the expensive waxes but really its up to you the pics above speak volumes to me.

Last edited by ukdave; 09 February 2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:35 PM
the-shine-factor
Scooby Newbie

its good to see someone testing wax`s out and showing us the results

i feel some companys think the joe public are daft as they go on about one product then next month its another and so on till they run out of products to sell

might have to think again about getting some zymol on my aston

thanks for the post
Old 09 February 2007, 11:48 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Ive just ordered just over £100 worth of polish/wax for myself and a few mates most of it being poorboys stuff,i put the results above on a few other forums i go on and even got pics of a few other ppl who are regular poorboys users bk in 5 with some pics of a black clio just gotta upload pics- can provide link to site though think you need to register-so will upload pics to my photobucket bk soon.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:55 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

A few more poorboys equipped pics lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/IMG_5341.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/IMG_5343.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/IMG_5355.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/IMG_5351.jpg

just goes to show you sometimes get more than what ya pay for if you look hard enough.(though bear in mind the clio HAS been machine polished and clayed i believe)

Last edited by ukdave; 10 February 2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10 February 2007, 01:10 AM
the-shine-factor
Scooby Newbie

ukdave what site is that
Old 10 February 2007, 01:21 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

This is the site ive been lookin at with the car on tonight will sort link for where the pics ive just posted were from in a sec (reckon i need a polisher by the way check the sierras finish on the wing after being flatted bk)
ClioSport - Black/gold. how to get swirls out when polishing??

Last edited by ukdave; 10 February 2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10 February 2007, 01:25 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

The other site i were on Poorboys polish with carnauba (blue)
Old 10 February 2007, 09:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Your tests don't really show anything though, unless the light source is controlled for each application and the photo is taken from the same spot each time, maybe with a tripod?
Old 10 February 2007, 10:42 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Right i aint a valeter,i dont own my own shop im like most of the other ppl on here who like their car looking good at minimal expense why would i decide to get way ott about it, theyre just pics of cars after being finished with either poorboys products or p21s im just showing you dont need to go to the extents or expense some do to achieve good results-sorry if that offends anyone its not meant to-thought i were giving a balanced account of cheaper polishes/waxes without the hassle/expense.

(because generally im only seeing expensive stuff evaluated)
Old 10 February 2007, 04:12 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Agree with the Poorboys and P21s comments, they are great products, not expensive, easy to apply/remove and with reasonable durability.

I do think that there is a little bit of 'emperors new clothes' about the more expensive polishes, afterall there's only so much shine a painted panel can produce.
Old 10 February 2007, 08:23 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ukdave
Right i aint a valeter,i dont own my own shop im like most of the other ppl on here who like their car looking good at minimal expense why would i decide to get way ott about it, theyre just pics of cars after being finished with either poorboys products or p21s im just showing you dont need to go to the extents or expense some do to achieve good results-sorry if that offends anyone its not meant to-thought i were giving a balanced account of cheaper polishes/waxes without the hassle/expense.

(because generally im only seeing expensive stuff evaluated)
Great pics and your car look great. I'm a big fan of Poorboys / Chemical Guys stuff. Great value for money. Post your pics on Detailing World - A world for detailers by detailers. They're always asking for pics there.
Old 10 February 2007, 11:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

but thats what i`m saying, the pictures dont show a balanced review, as the lighting is different in each one?
Old 11 February 2007, 12:48 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Pmsl give me a wk or 2 an i`ll be doin a few mates cars with them if you give me your preferred itinerary of how yad like it broke down/displayed i`d be glad to help lol shall i leave the time display on the pics aswell so you know the time i took them

Last edited by ukdave; 11 February 2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11 February 2007, 11:58 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Dont be a *******, i`m giving you some constructive advice........
Old 11 February 2007, 03:54 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

i didnt start it though mate sorry, why if its constructive advice didnt you phrase your wording-dave i`d like to see a few pics under a more controlled situation with reference to lighting especially-not "your tests dont really show anything though", because obviously to other ppl they do.

Anyway aint arguing will sort some other pics soon probably with before and afters for ppl to see.
Old 11 February 2007, 10:08 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Nattys Blue is also pretty inexpensive and gives good results on WR Blue cars

Old 11 February 2007, 10:59 PM
Michaela
Scooby Regular

I like Nattys blue but the longevity of its protection is rubbish.

Im hoping my Collinite 915 will be better
Old 12 February 2007, 06:35 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Collinite 476 lasts for months use it on my wife's mondeo
Old 12 February 2007, 12:05 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

I wish more people would take the time to present their work and open up discussions on products and techniques... everyone has an opinion, and it's good if these are thrown into the mix in a useful and contructive manner. I thinks the finishes in the pics shown above look good, but as mentioned, it's possible to make anything look good, and equally possible to make really good finishes look average, so we shouldn't get hung up on exactly what pictures mean; nothing is definitive, because we all see things differently, and we all have personal preferences.

These days this is also complicated by a much greater range of good quality products available on the market, coupled with the opportunity to 'create' a certain type of finish. For example, some of the better sealants give a very shiny, relfective finish, while some of the better pate waxes give much more wetness and gloss; both finishes might be great, but people will often favour one over another. Cost is also a factor, and it's good to see some results from value brands - Poorboy's has a place in my heart for offering great results at relatively low prices, but I don't use all of the products all of the time, as I favour products from different brands for certain tasks. Again, we all have our favourites.

So, thanks for posting the above results, it would be great if others would do so too, as it oftens seems like it's just us posting our professional work. Yes we do this to showcase the products we stock and what we can do, but we can't show everything, and it would be good to read and see feedback from others.

Old 12 February 2007, 12:10 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Oh, and just another thing to add... you don't have to apply anything to make paint look good. Here' some nude shots for you, taken straight after machine polishing and before any other products were applied...

Old 13 February 2007, 04:06 AM
the-shine-factor
Scooby Newbie

but polished bliss i see u change your nimds alot over the past year what your fav product so what is your fav at the mo
Old 14 February 2007, 05:54 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Sorry? That's simply not correct... and if you had followed our work and advice on here for longer you would know that. To clarify, we stock and use a wide range of products, as different products give different results, and to a certain extent we can tailor the look of the paint to what each customers wants (for example, our advice on what to use on WR Blue has stayed the same since around April last year; Blackfire for maximum wetness, Werkstatt Acrylic for more shine and flake pop). We can also factor in durability... and this is why at this time of year we use and recommend Werkstatt Acrylic a lot of the time, as it's durability is awesome... whereas in summer boutique sealants and waxes are an option as durability is less important and looks take centre stage. Also, for those that request it, we now can also offer finishes like Zymol Vintage, that are beyond the reach of many enthusiasts in terms of personal outlay. So, something for everyone then, and we can offer advice based on what people want finish wise, and what they want in terms of durability... and also ease of use and method of application, i.e. hand or machine.

We started out with a range of products in our store that were selected for reasons of quality and performance, based on our experience. Since then, we have introduced three new brands (Blackfire, Jeffs Werkstatt, Megs Detailer), and dropped three that were either difficult in terms of the supply chain, slow sellers or that were superceded by others (Clearkote, Optimum, Klasse). Our advice throughout the last year has been pretty constant, and only updated when we have felt that new products offer performance gains. For example, our range of Blackfire SRC polishes have just been replaced with polishes by Menzerna; these products are identical, but we can offer a litre of the latter for the same price as we had to charge for the former, so we have changed our advice and stock to benefit the customer. Earlier in the year we favoured Clearkote products on solid red, but the supply chain was a real pain, so we swapped to Werkstatt, and the Carnauba line works just as well on red and offers more durability, so our advice changed, to the benefit of us and our customers. I could go on and on, giving further examples, but the bottom line is that we are continuing to work with most of the products we stock, and generally only change advice when it benefits our customers. To think we know it all and should not constantly strive to improve our methods and thus the advice we can offer would be a mistake in our opinion.

Old 14 February 2007, 06:23 PM
the-shine-factor
Scooby Newbie

well i`m on DW and in the past you have hyped about a product being a must have then in no time it changed to another product just my thoughts

also how long have had a rotary and a PC, also how zymol details have you done.

the reason why i`m asking is that i`m thinking of getting the aston detailed and wanted someone with experiance
Old 14 February 2007, 06:44 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

If you have been on here and DW long enough to make such a claim, you will already know exactly how long we've detailed for, what products we use and how much experience we have. You will have also seen that we post most of our work so that people can judge for themselves how good we are - we feel that public forums are a good place to present our work, and are happy to be judged in this way. You will also note that on DW many of our customers log on to post their own views on our work, and potential customers use these threads to check us out in advance. I would like to ask who are you on DW, as there are no members known as 'the-shine-factor'?

The bottom line is, if you have any doubts about our reputation then you should check out other detailing companies until you find one you are happy with. The only other detailers we recommend in the NE of Scotland are based in Dundee, should you want their details we will happily pass them on.

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 14 February 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 14 February 2007, 11:21 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
I wish more people would take the time to present their work and open up discussions on products and techniques... everyone has an opinion, and it's good if these are thrown into the mix in a useful and contructive manner. I thinks the finishes in the pics shown above look good, but as mentioned, it's possible to make anything look good, and equally possible to make really good finishes look average, so we shouldn't get hung up on exactly what pictures mean; nothing is definitive, because we all see things differently, and we all have personal preferences.

These days this is also complicated by a much greater range of good quality products available on the market, coupled with the opportunity to 'create' a certain type of finish. For example, some of the better sealants give a very shiny, relfective finish, while some of the better pate waxes give much more wetness and gloss; both finishes might be great, but people will often favour one over another. Cost is also a factor, and it's good to see some results from value brands - Poorboy's has a place in my heart for offering great results at relatively low prices, but I don't use all of the products all of the time, as I favour products from different brands for certain tasks. Again, we all have our favourites.

So, thanks for posting the above results, it would be great if others would do so too, as it oftens seems like it's just us posting our professional work. Yes we do this to showcase the products we stock and what we can do, but we can't show everything, and it would be good to read and see feedback from others.

Its hard to give a general view to everyone i guess at the end of the day from your point of view polished bliss as theres ppl like me who enjoy doing there cars themselves regularly, others that want it professionally detailing, then others that hardly polish/wax them at all your never gonna get us all to agree I do like seeing some of your results in fact a while bk bought some of the werkstatt based on pics you`d put up on here but found it too much of a pain and time consuming to use (guess i were spoilt by the ease of poorboys)
Agree about the sealants and waxes mentioned above,i actually prefer
sealants for the finish they give and only use p21s wax when i want a in yer face gloss finish-found that sealants(i use poorboys EX) leave the paintwork with a silky smooth feel for a lot longer.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:23 AM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very shiny, clean cars guys.

Any advice on what to apply/use before putting graphics on a car? for best adhesion and if possible, easy removal.

cheers
Dill
Old 15 February 2007, 08:11 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Just clean the paint properly first with a clay bar; no surface contaminants means smoother looking graphics, as for ease of removal, speak to the vinyl company first and check if there is any product/method they recommend.
Old 15 February 2007, 08:16 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ukdave
Its hard to give a general view to everyone i guess at the end of the day from your point of view polished bliss as theres ppl like me who enjoy doing there cars themselves regularly, others that want it professionally detailing, then others that hardly polish/wax them at all your never gonna get us all to agree I do like seeing some of your results in fact a while bk bought some of the werkstatt based on pics you`d put up on here but found it too much of a pain and time consuming to use (guess i were spoilt by the ease of poorboys)
Agree about the sealants and waxes mentioned above,i actually prefer
sealants for the finish they give and only use p21s wax when i want a in yer face gloss finish-found that sealants(i use poorboys EX) leave the paintwork with a silky smooth feel for a lot longer.
If you struggled with the Werkstatt products it will be the method, as we too struggled to start with. However, after some experimentation we've now got down a method that is quick and easy; there is no place for time consuming products in our professional line up, as time is costing our customers money! My tips; mist your applicator pad with Acrylic Glos before starting. Apply the Prime Acrylic a panel at a time, leaving for no longer than 2-3 mins before the buff down. If the residue is hard to buff, mist with the Acrylic Glos and you'll find it comes away very easily. Apply the Trigger by spraying onto a plush MF towel, wiping over a small area, then buffing immediately with another dry MF towel. If at any point you find the residue hard to buff, mist with Acrylic Glos.

Old 15 February 2007, 08:19 AM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Just clean the paint properly first with a clay bar; no surface contaminants means smoother looking graphics, as for ease of removal, speak to the vinyl company first and check if there is any product/method they recommend.

Cheers
Old 09 March 2007, 03:31 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the-shine-factor
well i`m on DW and in the past you have hyped about a product being a must have then in no time it changed to another product just my thoughts

also how long have had a rotary and a PC, also how zymol details have you done.

the reason why i`m asking is that i`m thinking of getting the aston detailed and wanted someone with experiance
Just wondering m8 if you have an aston why are you on a subaru site i know if i could afford some thing like that you wouldnt find me ere.

( wouldnt swap the scoob anyway )

Quick Reply: No frills,no clay,no big expense,no long write up