Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Advice Screen wash / mitts

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2006, 05:30 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Screen wash / mitts

hi all just wanted some feedback on what screen wash people use, I have a new WRX o6 and its has light washers (well they are designed to spray the lights but they do a good job of covering the whole car ) I also live in a very hard water area and just plain water results in bad water marks all over the paint work therefore it important that the screen wash does not effect the paint but stops the water marks any ideas?????

Secondly I am having problems with my wash mitt it’s the second one I have had from PB (when the 1st one failed PB exchanged it with out any problems) but it must be something that I am doing to it or the fact with 4 cars its just not made to do that much work and the wool just comes off it after less than 12 weeks (looks like I have hit a sheep by the time I finished tonight with wool all over the place) can any one recommend a stronger mitt even if its not as effective or safe to use , PB would the Meguiars Microfibre Wash Mitt be ok to use for the car body (got one for the wheels) or will the pile not be able to allows dirt and grime to be drawn safely away ???? any ideas

and lastly has any one used JEFFS Werkstatt Prime Strong on there alloys yet has it been effective as it’s the next thing on my shopping list to get

thanks all

CJE
Old 10 August 2006, 05:31 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

????
Old 11 August 2006, 12:35 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK

hi all just wanted some feedback on what screen wash people use, I have a new WRX o6 and its has light washers (well they are designed to spray the lights but they do a good job of covering the whole car ) I also live in a very hard water area and just plain water results in bad water marks all over the paint work therefore it important that the screen wash does not effect the paint but stops the water marks any ideas?????

Secondly I am having problems with my wash mitt it’s the second one I have had from PB (when the 1st one failed PB exchanged it with out any problems) but it must be something that I am doing to it or the fact with 4 cars its just not made to do that much work and the wool just comes off it after less than 12 weeks (looks like I have hit a sheep by the time I finished tonight with wool all over the place) can any one recommend a stronger mitt even if its not as effective or safe to use , PB would the Meguiars Microfibre Wash Mitt be ok to use for the car body (got one for the wheels) or will the pile not be able to allows dirt and grime to be drawn safely away ???? any ideas

and lastly has any one used JEFFS Werkstatt Prime Strong on there alloys yet has it been effective as it’s the next thing on my shopping list to get

thanks all

CJE
I had the same problem bits of wool all over the place - I now use sheepskin mits - you get the odd piece of hair coming off but its now been washed about 20 times and theres not a bald patch in sight. my old meguires lambs wool mit fell apart (it looked like I killed a sheep on my drive)

I wouldnt use the microfiber mitt for the upper body only the lower half of the car and the wheels.

for the washers I would use filtered water if your that bothered (britter filtered)
Old 11 August 2006, 01:11 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

You've either been unlucky with faulty mitts or you're definitely doing something wrong - I have several lambswool mitts, and obviously use them all the time, but I've never had one fall apart. All I do with mine is wash them at 40oC with a liquid detergent and then leave to dry naturally (no heat). I also make sure I'm careful to avoid any snags with them, as this will pull out clumps of wool. Generally speaking, my mitts last about six months each. You could use a microfibre mitt on the panels, but make sure you reserve this mitt purely for bodywork, and be rigorous with the two bucket method and initial rinse.

As for the sprayer jet water, the above idea sounds sensible to me, or else don't use the sprayers - I try to never use mine, as all screen wash seems to strip last step products and cause such marks. Prime strong is a good base product for wheels, but if you are only getting one product Poorboy's Wheel Sealant should be at the top of the list.

Old 11 August 2006, 05:54 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys looks like britter filtered water it is (my car is turning into that spoilt kid that every one hates )

yep no idea what its is must be something I am doing to it as everything I have ever had off you has been top class, think a microfibre mitt or sheepskin mits it is then see how I get on with them

thanks