Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

White car

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2006, 07:26 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question White car

ok,

I've searched, I've researched, I've read every label on every bottle of 'jollop' I can find in my local auto factors and Halfrauds, so now I am here.....

How the **** do I get my white car to shine?

I have always been a user of meguires (3 stage and NXT) but that was with my mica red scoob - it used to shine like the sun .

Now, now I am unknown territory and at a complete loss.
The car's paint is clean as a whistle but I just can't get a good shine on it

Help ?
Old 05 August 2006, 08:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i love white paint, especially when its fresh

here is my car last week while i was learning to spray paint, by painting my own car

back quarter and rear door painted in a basecoat of ford white over the previous red

new front wing sprayed up the correct shade ready for wet sand and rotary buffer action, notice the reflections on the bonnet, this has not been waxed/polished for around a month and has been through my carwash around 10 times to help get the wax/polish off ready for painting

full side then painted over, wet sanded with 1200 gritt, and buffed up with G3 compound, quick coat of meguirs techwax over the top and the end result

still got bits and bobs to paint, ie skirts and handles etc etc

what i recommend for your car, it will undoubtedly be "flat" to some degree, what you need is something to take the top layer off, white is notorious for going flat, you want this top layer whipped off, either by hand (can be hard work depending) or somebody with a porter-cable/rotary buffer

then i would stay away from the carnauba stuff, i have never liked them on white, a nice cheap fix can be mequirs techwax, but this does not last very long IMO

i use a combination of this on my car

reveal bodypolish applied by hand (very good stuff that comes in 5 litre trade packs for around £16 )

meguirs techwax over the top of this

then i use a product called "showroom shine glaze" over the top of the techwax (also from the same trade bloke, its a milky style polish thats quite watery) this stuff can be reapplied as often as needed and is sort of like a quick detailer, only a bit more waxy/thicker

i put 20 coats of diamond brite bodyglaze on my old white vectra and that looked quite shiny

bit extreme mind, not sure how many coats were on the car, as rubbing more on, inevitably takes some off and there is a limit to how many you can get on

basically, prep and then wax/seal

i am a firm believer that you can get a nice shine with even the crappiest of products if you put the prep work in

Last edited by StickyMicky; 05 August 2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06 August 2006, 09:07 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Try XXX Hardcore paste wax m8,i use it on my white classic and it gives it shine reflection and the wet look
Old 06 August 2006, 10:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i've got a reasonable shine with autoglym extra gloss polish, guess it's one of those colours that won't shine?

do like the idea of a 'wet' look though, any other products give this sort of finish?
Old 06 August 2006, 11:08 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

On white, I only use one set of products... the JEFFS Werkstatt acrylic twins. Prime removes the oxidation layer that Micky mentions above (which is notorious for causing dullness on white paint), while Acrylic Jett Trigger adds a wet glossy finish that cannot be bettered on white in my opinion. A few members have had good results with the Blackfire range, but this is still not in the same league as the JEFFS products when used on white paint.
Old 07 August 2006, 06:31 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

is the jett trigger still a wax? looks like a quick detailer sort of thing?

does the product dry off completely and leave a wet look or does it put on a film that stays moist to give it the look?

ta
Old 07 August 2006, 10:22 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It's a pure spray sealant, so performs better than any wax but goes on with the ease of a quick detailer. It dries completely and doesn't attract dust - the high degree of wetness is due to the superb optical properties of the polymers in the sealant matrix.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:44 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
It's a pure spray sealant, so performs better than any wax but goes on with the ease of a quick detailer. It dries completely and doesn't attract dust - the high degree of wetness is due to the superb optical properties of the polymers in the sealant matrix.
sounds worth a go, just ordered some
Old 07 August 2006, 10:47 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss

Thanks very very very much

I'll be back with photo's of the results.
Old 08 August 2006, 07:22 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe you guys can help me, i got a can of spray paint from halfords, the230 color i think, and sparyed a small patch on my boot lid, both sides, blended it well etc, took agaes mind, but the color is more of a cream than the white, if you look hard enough you can spot it and then you see it all the time LOL

any way i can get this cream of white the same as my 230 white, or did the guy who mixed it not do a good job for the spray can ?
i did use a rubbing compound to get rid of the overspray etc so have tried the compounds, dont want to use any more rubbing compund as i went through the paint the 1st timei was rubbing that hard, oops !
cheers....
Old 08 August 2006, 08:30 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

If the colour match ain't right it will never match despite what you do, so the only answer to this one is to redo the work I'm afraid - the match clearly wasn't spot on.
Old 08 August 2006, 12:16 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought so, the little ****** !

next time, off to a proper spray place i thinks !

Cheers.
Old 08 August 2006, 08:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
maybe you guys can help me, i got a can of spray paint from halfords, the230 color i think, and sparyed a small patch on my boot lid, both sides, blended it well etc, took agaes mind, but the color is more of a cream than the white, if you look hard enough you can spot it and then you see it all the time LOL

any way i can get this cream of white the same as my 230 white, or did the guy who mixed it not do a good job for the spray can ?
i did use a rubbing compound to get rid of the over spray etc so have tried the compounds, don't want to use any more rubbing compound as i went through the paint the 1st timei was rubbing that hard, oops !
cheers....
there are a few different shades of 230 white TBH

what year is your car?
i had a aerosol made up by the local standox paint suppliers and i thought the match was pretty good at the time, but the best ever match i got for my car was www.paints4u.com, there feather white 230 is listed as 230 pure white, but i can assure you its a pretty good match, on my car at least, enough so that i have not needed to paint the bonnet/roof or front bumper, i painted around the back end (was red) and the 2 full sides with me blending in the new white to the old white up the C pillar, the join is seamless, pretty good for something i expected to be miles off (had a lot of trouble over the years mathing up subaru white paint) they are phasing this paint out du to new EU regulations, so i bought some extra to put away in case i crash it

have to say, i am now compleatly sick of wetsanding the paintwork so i have left the bottoms of the doors for now and i am having a little break

if you look at this picture

the doors and bonnet are factory paintwork, the wing is new, white paint always dulls down a little after a few days, and this shot was taken around 24 hours after the paint was put on the wing so its still a little bright, but the match is quality IMHO

Last edited by StickyMicky; 08 August 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09 August 2006, 11:30 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

time for another order from me soon then... have to get something for the Carbon fibre bonnet thats being installed also....
Old 09 August 2006, 02:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Old 09 August 2006, 10:11 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

my JEFFS Werkstatt acrylic Jett Trigger arrived today (cheers for the quick delivery richard) only had time to have a go at the bonnet but pleased with the results

to be fair, the car is in top condition anyway so i wasn't expecting to be blown away but i'm looking forward to seeing it in better light tomorrow.

hard to describe but the paint looks more like glass now, maybe not shinier but a much deeper shine than before. it also seems to show colour better in the reflection (the red sky looked crystal clear on the bonnet) and the edges of the scoop catch the light and really 'bing'.

can't wait to do the rest of the car as i think it'll bring it up nicely

easy stuff to work with aswell which is a big bonus for me

cheers again for the advice richard
Old 09 August 2006, 11:47 PM
SHESCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
ok,

I've searched, I've researched, I've read every label on every bottle of 'jollop' I can find in my local auto factors and Halfrauds, so now I am here.....

How the **** do I get my white car to shine?
BUY A BLUE ONE!!!!!

I have always been a user of meguires (3 stage and NXT) but that was with my mica red scoob - it used to shine like the sun .

Now, now I am unknown territory and at a complete loss.
The car's paint is clean as a whistle but I just can't get a good shine on it

Help ?
Old 11 August 2006, 12:38 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hoskib
my JEFFS Werkstatt acrylic Jett Trigger arrived today (cheers for the quick delivery richard) only had time to have a go at the bonnet but pleased with the results

to be fair, the car is in top condition anyway so i wasn't expecting to be blown away but i'm looking forward to seeing it in better light tomorrow.

hard to describe but the paint looks more like glass now, maybe not shinier but a much deeper shine than before. it also seems to show colour better in the reflection (the red sky looked crystal clear on the bonnet) and the edges of the scoop catch the light and really 'bing'.

can't wait to do the rest of the car as i think it'll bring it up nicely

easy stuff to work with aswell which is a big bonus for me

cheers again for the advice richard
No problems, always happy to help. Get some pics up when it's done!