Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Wax over sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2006, 12:50 PM
Stupid Insurance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax over sealant?

Recently polished my silver scooby with Werkstatt Prime, then Auto Glym Super Resin Polish then Auto Glym Super Extra Gloss Protection, which is just a sealant. It does really shine now, but is there any benefit to adding a layer of wax eg Optimum Car Wax and if so, can it be added over the sealant, or do I have to start the polishing process again?
Old 21 July 2006, 09:06 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

You can do it no problem, but you then shouldn't any more layers of sealant (sealants under waxes are fine, but not good the other way round). OCW will add wetness and gloss, but at the expense of flake pop in the sun. I would stick with the pure sealants unless you desperately want more wetness in the finish.
Old 21 July 2006, 09:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Carnuba based waxes melt and degrade at around 180ºF, and in the sun at this time of year (especially this year ) your paint will reach around 220ºF. I would rely on polymer based sealants until the weather cools down a bit as they are stable upto around 480ºF.
Old 21 July 2006, 10:31 PM
Stupid Insurance
Scooby Regular

Default To Polished Bliss

You previously suggested the following for silver to really bring out the flakes, based on your experience with the Leon.

Jeff Werkstatt Prime (one application)
Jeff Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger (two applications)
Optimum Car Wax (an application after every wash)

I've got the prime but had substituted the Acrylic Jett for the AUto Glym products I've already got. What would be the best combination for bringing out the flakes and keeping them?

Having polished and sealed the car, the water is bobbling very well, but is staying on the vertical surfaces until its driven, hence the reason for thinking the wax must be required.

Finally, OCW is a clearance item, what would be the best replacement if wax is required?
Old 24 July 2006, 10:39 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Answered by e-mail, but for the benefit of everyone else...

Prime, then Acrylic Jett Trigger, then Optimum Car Wax - this combo initially produces massive flake pop, but after a lot of regular top ups of OCW, this diminishes a lot, leaving you with a massively wet and glossy finish, but with little flake pop (I found 5-6 coats of OCW were needed to start to mute the flake - this is due to the carnauba content in the OCW). So, if you like wet and glossy but aren't fussed about flake pop this is a good choice.

Prime, then as many regular coats of Acrylic Jett Trigger as possible - this combo gives immediate massive flake pop, and this doesn't go away... ever. However, the finish isn't as wet and glossy as that given by OCW until 4-5 coats of Jett are on the car, but this only takes a morning to achieve at most. So, given that multiple coats of the Werkstatt twins do everything that OCW did fot the finish, plus allow massive, permanent flake pop, the Werkstatt twins are now all I use on my car.

Hope that helps, in my opinion there is no need at all to use a natural wax over the Werkstatt twins, and to do so would be detrimental, as it would prevent further addition of Trigger layers.