Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Sealant application question

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 11:30 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealant application question

Evening all.

For those of you applying sealants to protect your paintwork, if you're using foam pads manually, how do you go about deciding whether you've applied too much or too little ? Any handy tips ? I've read a lot about people applying too much product, and wondering if I've done the opposite.
And Rich (PB), if you're reading this, would welcome your comments too Might be useful for those newbies amongst us.

I've been using a German Applicator Pad (red side) and Blackfire All Finish Sealant over the last two days (two coats). How I went about it was thus -
Put a few drops (five, about half fingernail sized) on the pad and tried applying that - didn't work so well to begin with as pad for quite 'rigid', so added a bit more and after 5 mins, found the whole thing much easier. Pad seems to soak up a fair amount of the sealant, which figures and that helped.
So, once I got going, I was generally applying the equivalent of five spots of sealant to the pad and covering 1/4 or so of a panel. Rarely could I even see the sealant when I applied it (Crystal Grey car) so I'm wondering - am I applying too little ?

When I used one of the rather nifty towels (thanks Rich) to buff it off the finish is very smooth to the touch, so I kind of figure it can't have gone too badly, but anyone got opinions on how I've gone about it ?
Might aswell do it right and all that

Cheers, Martin.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:45 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

You're doing it perfectly! Any more would be too much... and therefore a waste. The first few panels will require more product (as the pad is still quite dry at this stage), but as you proceed and the pad wets up you will need a lot less (five drops on the pad is ideal at this stage). It's always hard to see where you've been on lighter colours, but as long as you apply it in a logical fashion then you won't miss any bits. Keep up the good work, that's two methods (the other being wheel sealant) you've cracked perfectly on your own!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:53 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Merci.

Good news indeed. I can put the washed kit away now then for a few months Now up to 3 coats of Wheel Sealant and 2 of Black Diamond. That'll do for now. Shame I got no pics of it with the extra coat on
It's mucky again .... after 300 miles to The Lecht and back yesterday ....
Old 01 June 2006, 08:39 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

I love raggin' the Lecht over to Aviemore... haven't done it in a while... mmm!