Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

A lost weekend, Cleaning and Polishing!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 12:05 AM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lost weekend, Cleaning and Polishing!!

I ordered a rake of kit from Rich a couple of weeks ago.

Last weekend I decided to give the scooby the works.

Rinsed it down to start with then washed it as advised with slick & suds using the two bucket method and a lambswool mitt and then washed the wheels with the microfibre mitt and then hosed it down before drying with the microfibre towel.

I must admit, I was a little sceptical about the towel but the thing is amazing. It dried the whole car without the need to wring it out once and left it looking streak free.

Then on with the Blackfire Gloss enhancing Polish. I did this by hand and although it took a long time it is easy to use and buffs off very easily.

After this came the Blackfire Wet Diamond. Again easy to apply and remove although this does have a weird smell and I was glad I was doing it outdoors.

Then on to polishing the alloys (The neighbours by now were thinking I'd lost the plot completely as I'd been out there for over four hours now) before buffing off cleaning the calipers and applying poorboys wheel sealant!!

I know I've seen pictures taken by Rich which shows how good the finish can look but my scooby looked simply stunning. So much so, people were commenting on it as they passed by.

Buoyed by this success, the next day I decided to do the same to my wifes Ford Ka.

The Scooby is only 8 months old but the Ka is Seven years old!!

While it has been well looked after, years of parking beneath a tree had left the roof covered in sap.

The car got the same treatment as the Scooby apart from after washing, the roof was clayed using Meguires Quick clay.

Oh dear, I think I need more practice here. Whilst it removed the sap I also marked the paint in several places despite using heaps of lube. Nothing drastic though. But I won't be claying the Scoob in a hurry, thats for sure.

After Polishing and sealing, the Ka's plastic bumpers were trated with Poorboys Trim Restorer. This stuff is amazing it made the plastic look like new.

The Ka's paintwork is Coppertone Metallic and the end result if anything was more dramatic than the Scooby, beacuse although it is seven years old it came up looking as if I'd just driven it out of the showroom.

Thanks Rich & Angela. The products you recommend are amazing and your tutorials are excellent.

I just made two mistakes.

1. I used the car to go to work on Monday, and it came home covered in muck.

2. I washed the lambswool wash mitt in the washing machine and it is now what you would describe as a snug fit
Old 29 May 2006, 06:43 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Do you have before and after pic's?
Old 29 May 2006, 08:23 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Er, no

I have the technology, but not the knowledge

..............but next time!!!!
Old 29 May 2006, 10:50 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

I was hoping for pics... got very few entries for this month's show n shine, and your write up was going well until the end and then no pics! Glad the products worked out for you though, was the clay nice and soft when you did the roof? Good stuff though, glad you got stuck in!