Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Engine detail...

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2006, 09:30 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine detail...

When I "detail" the engine bay of my Subaru, there a lot's of spots that remain greasy. Especially the crevices and small holes on the aluminium inlet, dynamo, and other "hard to reach" places.
I use MCII citrus degreaser and Meguiars APC (green) but even then, it doesn't work well enough to get the whole engine spotless ?
I was thinking of using a soft copper brush or so the reach those spots, but maybe there a risk to damage something ?
Also, what is best used to protect the engine bay afterwards ?
I have now a spray can of Swissol Engine Coat, but I find it very sticky (after a few days, dust and sand will stick onto the sprayed surfaces...)
Old 28 February 2006, 01:41 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't done a Scooby engine bay yet (will be doing in two weeks time when I do JohnS's car), but my product of choice is P21S Total Auto Wash - it's a citrus-based cleaner, but it's got more cut than any other product I've tried. I find a hard bristled toothbrush ideal for agitating really cruddy/greasy bits and for getting into tight spots. Full example of using it is given in the thread linked below. Once clean and dry, I like to dress all vinyl and plastics with 303 Aerospace Protectant, and polished metal surfaces with Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh. I tend to leave non polished metal surfaces bare, as they attract less dust and grime than when dressed.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=494223