Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Why is Scoobynet so slow?

Old 15 March 2009, 06:39 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry FFS, could this site be any slower?!?

it's painfull now.

why is it so bad? it seemed ok when the 'big move' took place and now it's ground to a halt

please fix.
Old 15 March 2009, 07:38 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have stopped viewing through IE8 and now use Firefox 3.0.6 and it is almost instant in every respect! IE8 is like 20 secs for everything.
I dunno why, but Firefox is how i am viewing Scoobynet for now.
Old 15 March 2009, 07:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What OS are you using and what Browser and version are you using? Who is your ISP and what type of internet connection do you have and what speed is it?

This may sound like a daft question, but how/where is it slow? Is it just when loading threads? How long does it take to load, for example, this thread?

I'm not sure if this would help any, but could you try the following:

1) Logout of SN

2) Clear your internet cache and history

3) Remove all cookies that have scoobynet anywhere in the name

4) Quit your browser and then relaunch it.

5) Access Scoobynet by going to this url: www.scoobynet.com. Do NOT use any bookmarks to access the site.

6) Do NOT login, try accessing this thread and note the speed at which it loads.

7) Clear your internet cache, quit and relaunch your browser, go back to the URL mentioned above, this time, DO login to your account, then load this thread and see if it loads at the same speed as when you were not logged in. Also see if it's any quicker than as it is now, ie; before you've followed the steps above.
Old 15 March 2009, 09:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
What OS are you using and what Browser and version are you using? Who is your ISP and what type of internet connection do you have and what speed is it?

This may sound like a daft question, but how/where is it slow? Is it just when loading threads? How long does it take to load, for example, this thread?

I'm not sure if this would help any, but could you try the following:

1) Logout of SN

2) Clear your internet cache and history

3) Remove all cookies that have scoobynet anywhere in the name

4) Quit your browser and then relaunch it.

5) Access Scoobynet by going to this url: www.scoobynet.com. Do NOT use any bookmarks to access the site.

6) Do NOT login, try accessing this thread and note the speed at which it loads.

7) Clear your internet cache, quit and relaunch your browser, go back to the URL mentioned above, this time, DO login to your account, then load this thread and see if it loads at the same speed as when you were not logged in. Also see if it's any quicker than as it is now, ie; before you've followed the steps above.
i will give this a try, and many thanks for the tips Markus. i don't want to come across as unapreciative, but why should i have to do all that when other websites intergrate and work perfectly well without having to **** around with them?

all pages are very slow in loading.
i'll try a lot of things but i can't be arsed to use different browsers just to look on here.
hopefully it's just teething problems but it's becoming a right **** ache just coming on here and having a poke around. bloody adverts are doing my head in and the skinny page gives me a headache.

i must sound like a right old woman but i really wish it would go back to looking like it did a few years ago
Old 15 March 2009, 09:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Same problem here. Everything is really slow to load, very noticable from the pre upgrade. As for changing browsers etc, sorry I'm lost already . As above, I don't have this problem with other sites.

Yes, can we have a retro Scoobynet! Bloody adverts everywhere, have to scroll down the page to see anything, ridiculous.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:47 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Same here, painfully slow

Its completely un-useable for me, taking up to 20 seconds to load a thread when you click on it.

Add this to the fact threads are STILL NOT in bold and I just can't use SN anymore. I used to spend hours on here everyday, but now just spend 5 mins until I get fed up with it.

Its nothing to do with ISP, cache, cookies or anything else for me as all other sites work perfectly and I refuse to use FF just for SN.

I will have to leave SN for a while and call back in a few months - hopefully everything will be sorted out by then.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 16 March 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:55 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

I'm using FF3 and it's spot on.
Old 16 March 2009, 11:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

but why should i have to do all that when other websites intergrate and work perfectly well without having to **** around with them?
That's computers for you...their unpredictability is 99% of the problem; if every computer and server in the whole world was identical and worked in a identical way with identical software and identical internet connections then I'm pretty certain things like this wouldn't happen. And if it did, it would be a problem for everyone, not just a select number of individuals.

For the record, I had some intermittent slowness last night on a couple of pages, but today is fine: IE7 (64bit version), although FF appears to be quicker. I've never tested this site using the 32bit version of IE7.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 March 2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: unpredictable spelling
Old 16 March 2009, 11:27 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

big thumbs up for firefox & its sposed to be safer web browsing too!
Old 16 March 2009, 11:39 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Agreed, and allegedly, you can get it to cancel out all the ads....the site is then allegedly a lot faster
Old 16 March 2009, 12:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
That's computers for you...their unpredictability is 99% of the problem; if every computer and server in the whole world was identical and worked in a identical way with identical software and identical internet connections then I'm pretty certain things like this wouldn't happen. And if it did, it would be a problem for everyone, not just a select number of individuals.

For the record, I had some intermittent slowness last night on a couple of pages, but today is fine: IE7 (64bit version), although FF appears to be quicker. I've never tested this site using the 32bit version of IE7.
Sorry, thats a cop out!

Websites should all work the same on any browser - yes you can forgive minor formatting issues from one browser to the next, but the server connection and speed should be consistent.

There is obviously a code issue with the site and trying to load something in IE7+ and I would hazard a guess it is related to the ads.

I'm typing this in FF and although it is quicker than IE its still not outstanding and I have to wait a good few seconds for each page to load.

Other forums are fine, including the mammoth AV Forums.
Old 16 March 2009, 12:40 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Default Why is Scoobynet so slow?

Is it just me or is everyone else waiting about 30 seconds for pages to load?
Old 16 March 2009, 01:04 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

No, it is painful. It finds the page and then sits for quite a while waiting for it to load. I thought it was my internet connection for a while, but other sites are fine.

Steve
Old 16 March 2009, 01:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Sorry, thats a cop out!

Websites should all work the same on any browser - yes you can forgive minor formatting issues from one browser to the next, but the server connection and speed should be consistent.

There is obviously a code issue with the site and trying to load something in IE7+ and I would hazard a guess it is related to the ads.

I'm typing this in FF and although it is quicker than IE its still not outstanding and I have to wait a good few seconds for each page to load.

It would be a cop out if I was responsible for getting SN to work. Its more of a dose of real world. What it should be, and what it is are two different things altogether. One would like them to be the same, but in practice.....

I'm sure most are aware that when getting something to work on everyones computer perfectly is a task in itself; Alot of presumption takes place. We're not talking about SN here, we're talking about everything; IB, their servers, their server software, Vbulletin, Vbulletin plug-ins, and of course all the people in each sector working together to make it does all work ok together on everybody's computer regardless of if its a Mac OSx, iphone, Win98, XP, 2K, Vista, 64bit, 32bit, Linux, Unix ( ) running IE6/7/8, Netscape6/7, FF 2/3, Opera7/8/9, Chrome, etc.

I suppose I could just say its down to resources; Who is going to pay to sort it? However that in itself is a cop out, as would individually blaming IE, Microsoft, Vbulletin, Internet Brands or whoever made/maintains your computer.

AVforums haven't been without their issues when they upgraded to 3.7x : Major forum upgrade - AVForums.com (note the dodgy search...sounds familar )
Old 16 March 2009, 01:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
No, it is painful. It finds the page and then sits for quite a while waiting for it to load. I thought it was my internet connection for a while, but other sites are fine.

Steve
Same here, I thought Virgin Media were maybe playing up or doing servicing my end. But every other site on my 2mb connection is pretty quick.

Wheres Stu?
Old 16 March 2009, 01:24 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I'm glad you're all suffering as much as me! But I mean that in a loving way!
Old 16 March 2009, 01:25 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian

Wheres Stu?
Feeding the Hamster!

It is pretty slow today!
Old 16 March 2009, 01:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
inserting the Hamster!

It is pretty slow today!
editied for accuracy
Old 16 March 2009, 02:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

It was very slow for me yesterday at home, 20mb connection IE7(64bit), I replied to one thread then gave up as it took ages. Went off on the Audi-Sport forums which were fine.

Today is ok, I'm on a 3G dongle on IE8. Have to agree that the adds are really annoying, not work friendly so can only surf when others are not about.

Again I refuse to use FF just for one site.
Old 16 March 2009, 03:48 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Sorry, thats a cop out!

No cop out at all. Firefox is blistering on here and IE8 isnt, so i can use IE8 everywhere else with no trouble, yet i cannot on here?
The only common issue is Scoobynet.
Be it adverts or another coding issue, Firefox for me is not blocking anything that i have noticed and still loads in secs, whereas IE8 takes 20 secs.
And YES, it really IS Scoobynet that is the problem.
Old 16 March 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

I have logged this IE error guys, unsure what the issue is there but we will soon find out I'm sure.

For the record, is it JUST IE8? Thats slow? Anyone having issues with 6 or 7?
Old 16 March 2009, 04:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
No cop out at all. Firefox is blistering on here and IE8 isnt, so i can use IE8 everywhere else with no trouble, yet i cannot on here?
The only common issue is Scoobynet.
Be it adverts or another coding issue, Firefox for me is not blocking anything that i have noticed and still loads in secs, whereas IE8 takes 20 secs.
And YES, it really IS Scoobynet that is the problem.
I'm confused, you seem to be quoting me but then re-iterating exactly what I was saying!!

Stu, I'm using IE7 and its just unbearable.

Ali B - that's fine when you are talking computers and software, but a website and/or forum should be able to run on any platform in the same way technically speaking (i.e. speed, connection etc), the only difference you normally find is the presentation/graphical elements due to IE not rendering CSS in the same way as Mozilla etc.

Trust me, I spend every day doing this and making stuff work for all systems and browsers (so I know what a pain it is ) - I don't always get the presentation consistent, but the systems always work the same without fail and without any slow down.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 16 March 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 16 March 2009, 05:04 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

LOL, my apologies if I am just confusing the issue!
Old 16 March 2009, 05:20 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I have stopped viewing through IE8 and now use Firefox 3.0.6 and it is almost instant in every respect! IE8 is like 20 secs for everything.
I dunno why, but Firefox is how i am viewing Scoobynet for now.
Same here, although SIDC seems better in IE8 than firefox
Old 16 March 2009, 05:35 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
I have logged this IE error guys, unsure what the issue is there but we will soon find out I'm sure.

For the record, is it JUST IE8? Thats slow? Anyone having issues with 6 or 7?
IE7, slow as a dog

much better title who ever edited it
Old 16 March 2009, 07:25 PM
Swift Nick
Scooby Regular

IE6 is no better
Old 16 March 2009, 10:57 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

IE7 here, and been slow since the upgrade
Old 16 March 2009, 11:33 PM
wrxgreen
Scooby Regular

slow here to very slow other sites fine
Old 16 March 2009, 11:35 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

ie 7 here, painfully slow

everything else is fine
Old 17 March 2009, 11:30 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Still the same, over 35 seconds to load this thread.

See you soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is Scoobynet so slow?