Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Current site issues - a concerned subsciber writes!

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2008, 02:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current site issues - a concerned subscriber writes!

OK I am writing this with no axe to grind, but as a concerned user and paid subscriber to Scoobynet.

Currently we have three major bugs on the site:

1) Search does not work properly - returns blank page with the words 'search provided by Internet Brands'
2) The site since this time yesterday has been running very very slowly on and off
3) The 'go to last post' button does not for the main work and has been this way for about 2 weeks

While none of these are 'life threatening' together they amount to a serious dent in the usability of Scoobynet.

Factor in that in the last 2 months the search was offline for about a week and we had about 10 days of 404 page not found errors when posting and threads going missing altogether and it is hard not to feel there is a pattern emerging.

As I said I have no axe to grind, I just think that for the most part this site is extremely good and very useful and it saddens me to see things apparently start to fall apart. I also purchased my subscription solely to use the search which currently I can't or not the way I should be able to. I know it's only £5 and I know things go wrong, but there seems to be a complete lack of response in this forum to bugs and issues just recently.

My fundamental problem is I don't understand why you would purchase a site like this and then seem happy to let it go to rack and ruin.

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended, I am not moaning for the sake of it, just want SN to be back where it should be - fully working and great once again.

Last edited by f1_fan; 12 October 2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12 October 2008, 02:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

took me a good 30 secs to have this page brought up, seams to be running very slow now!
Old 12 October 2008, 03:27 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
OK I am writing this with no axe to grind, but as a concerned user and paid subscriber to Scoobynet.

1) Search does not work properly - returns blank page with the words 'search provided by Internet Brands'
2) The site since this time yesterday has been running very very slowly on and off
3) The 'go to last post' button does not for the main work and has been this way for about 2 weeks

While none of these are 'life threatening' together they amount to a serious dent in the usability of Scoobynet.

Factor in that in the last 2 months the search was offline for about a week and we had about 10 days of 404 page not found errors when posting and threads going missing altogether and it is hard not to feel there is a pattern emerging.

As I said I have no axe to grind, I just think that for the most part this site is extremely good and very useful and it saddens me to see things apparently start to fall apart. I also purchased my subscription solely to use the search which currently I can't or not the way I should be able to. I know it's only £5 and I know things go wrong, but there seems to be a complete lack of response in this forum to bugs and issues just recently.

My fundamental problem is I don't understand why you would purchase a site like this and then seem happy to let it go to rack and ruin.

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended, I am not moaning for the sake of it, just want SN to be back where it should be - fully working and great once again.

Nicely put fella

Agree this place has gone downhill rapidly since bieng purchased by IB
Old 12 October 2008, 04:35 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Come on IB, maybe a response.

There seems to be a few threads about the same problem, so have replied to this one.

I also, only purchased a membership so I could make use of the search function, so when I cannot use it, it does detract from my enjoyment of the site.

Just a reply would be nice, even if it is to say you are aware of problems and they are being looked into.
Old 12 October 2008, 06:34 PM
triplesix
Scooby Regular

No doubt this slowness is caused by all the pointless irrelivant adverts and the infraction system going hay wire.

Dead simple solution. Revert to a back up prior to IB taking over.

No doubt they are in this for the money and not the good of the site or the community. Just remember IB, no users, no site.

SORT YOUR **** OUT!!
Old 12 October 2008, 08:42 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Nicely put

It's very tiresome at the mo' and soul destroying waiting for the pages to turn.

It has steadily got worse and worse and no one seem to give a damn, never mind us paid up members who expect a decent site for their money
Old 12 October 2008, 09:12 PM
Will
BANNED

it fast again for me now!!! but it was very very slow.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:14 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

2 days of going slow..And still no new pics on the home page.

And no reply from the site owners....
Old 12 October 2008, 11:27 PM
Rob42
Scooby Regular

Of all the forums and sites i happen to use, this the slowest.
I have put my money up front and joined at an early stage, as i feel good sites should be supported, but there does seem to be an issue or two or here.
I ama new on here, who could help?
Old 13 October 2008, 12:57 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Oh come on. Why infract mr impreza. The site has been very poor for the last couple of days. He is a paying member too.
Is it too much to ask for a site to run properly???
Old 13 October 2008, 01:07 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Come on people let's keep this civil on all sides.

I understand the frustration, believe me I do hence why I posted in the first place, but no point this becoming another infractionfest.

That is just counter productive.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:18 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
the truth kills? does a opinion warrants an infraction these days??
As I posted in NSR

"While the infraction seems crazy we all know that being mildly abusive and/or swearing these days in posts brings out the big infraction stick. We can debate the policy around that all we like, but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is the way things are round here."

So I hear you, but sadly that is the way it is. No criticism of you mate, just want to keep this thread on topic
Old 13 October 2008, 01:26 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Well put

I have just noticed the search not working, and now getting the supplied by Internet Brands

Last week the search results left me with some kind of moderator control panel for the threads

The survey Internet Brands did was a complete con, and virtually nothing to do with Scoobynet itself, absolutly ZERO effort was put into that survey, and its results will be completly meaningless

Internet Brands I feel do need to start getting a grip of Scoobynet
Old 13 October 2008, 01:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

understand 100% mate
Cheers
Old 13 October 2008, 02:11 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

What if everyone PM's the Webmaster ?
Old 13 October 2008, 08:55 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

no 1 wants to help mate. IB doesnt give a **** i take it, if this is the way IB is takeing this site then they can shove it up their fooking *** hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sort it out or sell the fooking site to some 1 who can be bothered!!!!!!!!!!
Are we getting a little bit precious on Scooby Net?
I can't believe this comment received an infraction.
I would like somebody to explain why this is abusive. I have seen much more personally abusive comments than this go unheeded on this board.
For a start it's a physical impossibility to 'Shove' an ethereal presence such as a web site anywhere, never mind where Mr Impreza has suggested it be shoved. So this is just a figure of speech and not a serious suggestion.
Perhaps the language between the lines is a bit ripe, but we're all (?) grown ups, aren't we? Is anybody really that offended by the dreaded F word these days?

I'm not advocating abuse of anybody, but let's lighten up a little here huh?

There is no personal abuse of any person contained in this comment. So who issued the infraction? If it was issued by webby or a moderator, are they then saying that they are happy with the way Scooby Net is performing of late? If it was issued by a board member, then the same question applies. Are you really happy with the way the board is running? There have been many polite requests for a whole host of bugs to be fixed that have received little or no response.

Perhaps I stand to be infracted myself for having an opinion on how a paid up member is treated, but if this is how SN is to be run in the future then it's on the slipperiest slope of all, IMHO.

BTW, get your fingers out IB, sort this site out please.
Old 13 October 2008, 09:32 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

The post was insulting................................. wasn't it?

Whilst I appreciate there does appear to be a lack of progress on things IMHO throwing insults and demands have never been the way of getting things done
Old 13 October 2008, 10:00 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Phil, this thread is headed by a perfectly reasonable summary outlining some of the more pressing issues with SN. Many issues have been around for a long time, some more pressing than others. As I have stated before the front page hasn't changed since I joined SN in July. A minor point perhaps but a valid complaint nonetheless.

You say the post by Mr Impreza was insulting, perhaps it was if it was directed at somebody personally. But who was insulted? A corporate body? And perhaps people are feeling justifiably frustrated at the lack of response to valid concerns they have about a discussion board they plainly value.

I'm not talking about the recent slow down on SN. Some sh*t happens and then it gets sorted.

I don't know how SN works behind the scenes so I apologise if I have this wrong, but my feeling is that you are not occupying a position that requires you to defend IB, unless you are in their employ. Respect to you Phil, but let IB come on here and justify their lack of presence and respond to criticism.

You say that mud slinging isn't a way to get things done. Well it does appear that polite requests achieve no better result.

As board members do we not have an equal right to feel insulted by the same corporate body ignoring reasonable requests for action? I don't see anybody giving infractions to IB, well none that we as members are made aware of.

Steve.
Old 13 October 2008, 10:15 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Steve

Please do not missunderstand my post, which I don't think you have, but for clarity

I do find the lack of response insulting

During Simons reign you usually got a response not always one you were happy with but a response none the less

How ever I reiterate telling someone to stick it up there Ar$e IMHO achieves nothing

Whats the answer!

I DON'T KNOW ....................if I m completly honest
Old 13 October 2008, 10:32 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Phil, I do see you point of view. However I don't see a problem with 'Poking the Dog' to see if it barks. Let's see some response from IB, and if they need an enema afterwards, then so be it.
I feel that the infraction given to Mr Impreza was unjustified, and that if that level of creative suggestion receives punishment then somebody is going to be very busy handing out tickets if there aren't some serious changes to SN very soon. Either that or there won't be any worthy opinions expressed for fear of upsetting the few people that will bother to remain loyal to SN.

Just my opinion, and I'm not looking for a job!

Steve.
Old 13 October 2008, 10:33 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys

Firstly, PLEASE don't discuss infractions in here, or anywhere in the main forum, it spoils the forum. Please see scoobynet policy and the big sticky threads for the current state of play on infractions - all the questions posted here are answered in there.

Next.

I totally and utterly understand the frustration regarding all this, and I'm going to do whatever I can to get things gee'd up. The guys at IB wake up in the early afternoon for us, and I'll send them an email now which they'll wake up to.

But, please leave the abuse out of it. It really isn't very nice. And please don't discuss that in this thread either. Just stick on topic.
Old 13 October 2008, 10:50 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Guys

Firstly, PLEASE don't discuss infractions in here, or anywhere in the main forum, it spoils the forum. Please see scoobynet policy and the big sticky threads for the current state of play on infractions - all the questions posted here are answered in there.

Next.

I totally and utterly understand the frustration regarding all this, and I'm going to do whatever I can to get things gee'd up. The guys at IB wake up in the early afternoon for us, and I'll send them an email now which they'll wake up to.

But, please leave the abuse out of it. It really isn't very nice. And please don't discuss that in this thread either. Just stick on topic.
Thanks for your response Webby, very much appreciated.

Let's see what IB have to say and yes I echo your sentiments about keeping this one on topic. Thanks.

Oh and the site does seem much quicker this morning.
Old 13 October 2008, 11:11 AM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr Impreza, & agree with his frustrations.
I see the unjust infraction has been closed too hmmm.

This site has been lacking admin response to most enquiries.
I know that being abusive aint the way to go, but we do pay and for what?
We do deserve answers, which are very slow coming, if at all.
Why should we have to put up with it?
The home page has been reported countless times, search has been faulty for ages, top if off with the recent performance issues, which is likely to prompt abuse as there is no reply.
Honestly, if any other site performed that way, they would not receive comments?

And whoever infracted Mr Impreza for being frustrated? We all get fed up, and yes the words are harsh, but the truth hurts!
Old 13 October 2008, 11:32 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scoobz, and all.

Final polite request regarding the discussion of infractions. Read the sticly threads in scoobynet policy. You will only have yourself to blame if you don't.
Old 13 October 2008, 11:39 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

4)The posting time is wrong.

That's an easy fix surely?
Old 13 October 2008, 12:11 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan83590
4)The posting time is wrong.

That's an easy fix surely?
they have the same issue over at passionford, hence it being an IB issue.
Old 13 October 2008, 12:57 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

The infraction for this has been closed so it cant be discussed.
Another thumbs down for me?
Old 13 October 2008, 01:05 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

petty...need i say more?
Old 13 October 2008, 01:05 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Who the heck is infracting? What was that for?

Last edited by dan83590; 13 October 2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:06 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

This is getting silly. This infraction system needs to be reviewed, now!

Quick Reply: Current site issues - a concerned subsciber writes!