Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

BBS Software request?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2002, 10:05 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how feasible this is but anyway.....
It's fairly safe to say that page 1 of the General Forum is probably the most read page on Scoobynet (I'd hazard a guess anyway). Unfortunately it is often cluttered with misplaced posts or bizarre topics in which I have no interest.

Would it then be feasible to design a way of customizing pages for personal preference? An example of this could be having a check box next to each thread that you could check if you didn't want it to appear next time you loaded the page.
So let's say I open General Forum page 1 and there's a load of threads about "my RS is faster than your scoob" or "who the hell do you mods think you are". These interest me not in the slightest (personal preference of course!) so I check the boxes next to those topics and click an update (or whatever) button on my page. This stores the thread IDs and sends them as a cookie to my PC. Next time I load Scoobynet it knows not to display those threads.

I appreciate, of course, this probably requires a bit of a software rebuild and is such is unlikely to ever happen In that case, to declutter the pages would it possible for locked threads to actually be moved to another page altogether? This could just be an uneditable forum with the locked/moved threads listed and links provided to their new location. If people couldn't find their thread they could look on that forum and find out what has happened to them or where they have been moved to.

Page 1 of the General Forum generates a lot of good and interesting topics, unfortunately many of these get lost within the mire of drivel that often appears along with them. I know people (including myself) say "if you're not interested then don't read it"; if I'm not then I don't. It's just unfortunate that interesting topics can get pushed away on pages 3 and 4 and lost forever.....