Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

wagon fettle

Old 22 July 2008, 01:26 PM
  #181  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Good work mate, looking miles better than mine at the moment.
cheers Andy, I hope to be driving it again within the next couple of days...what up with yours?
trails is offline  
Old 22 July 2008, 03:06 PM
  #182  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Bet you can't wait to get back on the road mate.

Mine, just been tweaking the Coilovers to experiment with handling after having a little treat to the wagon when at Zen and bought some Whiteline bits, then a V1 Centre Diff to aid cornering/oversteer.

Nothing else serious...... just sorting out somebody work, but using a favor from a mate for some work i did for him. It's just having time to get it into his workshop, hence the urban camo look !! What you cant see is the electrical tape covering all the holes in the boot after removal of rear spoilers to paint up to match roof rails. Am sure the show and shine fanatics will have a small heart murmour, but she is my daily driver and is more go than show !!


Last edited by Andy T; 22 July 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Andy T is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 10:19 AM
  #183  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I think it looks kinda cool as it is; ratrod wagon!

is that a DCCD you have fitted...interesting
trails is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 11:04 AM
  #184  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by trails View Post
I think it looks kinda cool as it is; ratrod wagon!

is that a DCCD you have fitted...interesting
Has been called Rat by somebody else !!

No DCCD sadly, but a mechanical centre Diff rather than the Viscous Diff that came as standard on the UK Turbo. Have been used to driving a RWD so experimented with clutch kicking on a large roundabout in the dry!! sadly Centre diff expired there and then...... oooops.

New diff is supposed to send more torque to rear wheels think it is about 65/35. With the ALK and 22mm ARB turn in is so sharp, she even "Tripods" when pushed hard

Understeer is nearly all gone and power oversteer is starting to happen, sadly 205whp is not enough to break total grip to the rear and turn her into a drifter, defo not now i got 235/35/18 on the back !!!!

Its just experimentation at the moment, but a Porsche was struggling to loose me the other day thru a series of roundabouts so must be getting something right for once.

Thanks again for your inspiration mate, hope i've not hi-jacked.
Andy T is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 11:40 AM
  #185  
P20SPD
Drag it!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Flame grilled Wagon anyone?
Posts: 9,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Lots of stuff going on there!

Dont know what i will do to mine, other than shelve it for 12 months or more!
P20SPD is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 11:47 AM
  #186  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Has been called Rat by somebody else !!

No DCCD sadly, but a mechanical centre Diff rather than the Viscous Diff that came as standard on the UK Turbo. Have been used to driving a RWD so experimented with clutch kicking on a large roundabout in the dry!! sadly Centre diff expired there and then...... oooops.

New diff is supposed to send more torque to rear wheels think it is about 65/35. With the ALK and 22mm ARB turn in is so sharp, she even "Tripods" when pushed hard

Understeer is nearly all gone and power oversteer is starting to happen, sadly 205whp is not enough to break total grip to the rear and turn her into a drifter, defo not now i got 235/35/18 on the back !!!!

Its just experimentation at the moment, but a Porsche was struggling to loose me the other day thru a series of roundabouts so must be getting something right for once.

Thanks again for your inspiration mate, hope i've not hi-jacked.
sounds as though you have been enjoying it 235x35...blimey, have you had your arches rolled?

no worries on the thread hi-jack...its good to talk
trails is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 11:49 AM
  #187  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by P20SPD View Post
Lots of stuff going on there!

Dont know what i will do to mine, other than shelve it for 12 months or more!
must be difficult to decide what to do next when its so evolved...more power?
trails is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 01:09 PM
  #188  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by trails View Post
sounds as though you have been enjoying it 235x35...blimey, have you had your arches rolled?

no worries on the thread hi-jack...its good to talk
Yep, Arches have been rolled and pulled by a VW bodyshop who specialise in serious custom work, no rubbing issues as of yet. She has cute hips now.
Andy T is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 01:15 PM
  #189  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by P20SPD View Post
Lots of stuff going on there!

Dont know what i will do to mine, other than shelve it for 12 months or more!
Steven, yours is the mother of all wagons. You can't shelve it mate.
More power? took my ears days to recover after the dyno run @Zen

Shame the dog guard has been removed, that was pure class at TA
Andy T is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 01:17 PM
  #190  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Yep, Arches have been rolled and pulled by a VW bodyshop who specialise in serious custom work, no rubbing issues as of yet. She has cute hips now.
that has been something I've been thinking about...new new tyres too don't suppose you haver any hip pics do you Andy?
trails is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 01:30 PM
  #191  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by trails View Post
don't suppose you haver any hip pics do you Andy?
No pictures of her hips at the moment mate, will take some later for you mate.
Hope your not expecting 22b size, quality or style ??
Andy T is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 01:53 PM
  #192  
P20SPD
Drag it!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Flame grilled Wagon anyone?
Posts: 9,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It went beyond where i wanted to go so that it was ready for TA this year, ie i removed most of the interior etc, and it is no longer nice to drive on the road. I feel the next step is an awkward one.

Suspect there will be a lot of parts off it for sale later in the year!
P20SPD is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 02:20 PM
  #193  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
No pictures of her hips at the moment mate, will take some later for you mate.
Hope your not expecting 22b size, quality or style ??
lol, no; one of my friends has a Glanza with stretched arches and its subtly different from standard and runs 205's
trails is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 02:23 PM
  #194  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by P20SPD View Post
It went beyond where i wanted to go so that it was ready for TA this year, ie i removed most of the interior etc, and it is no longer nice to drive on the road. I feel the next step is an awkward one.

Suspect there will be a lot of parts off it for sale later in the year!
I think that's one thing I'm going to be careful to avoid; I want this to be a fast road\occasional track car not an out and out TA stylee racer.

I guess you have to decide if you continue to fettle what you have, a la Kev Horsley or break it and start another project. I don't envy you that decision after the time and pain you have been through to get to where you are.
trails is offline  
Old 23 July 2008, 05:22 PM
  #195  
Granby
Supporting Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Granby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: S E London........ 555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 5,389
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
No DCCD sadly, but a mechanical centre Diff rather than the Viscous Diff that came as standard on the UK Turbo. Have been used to driving a RWD so experimented with clutch kicking on a large roundabout in the dry!! sadly Centre diff expired there and then...... oooops.

New diff is supposed to send more torque to rear wheels think it is about 65/35. With the ALK and 22mm ARB turn in is so sharp, she even "Tripods" when pushed hard
Can i ask where did you get that centre diff from as i've seen them on a Japanese website but don't know if you can get them over here

Last edited by Granby; 23 July 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Granby is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 09:47 AM
  #196  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Managed to get the Centre Diff from Zen, right place right time as I had explained to Sam (who used to work for TSL) in the past over a beer what I was looking for. Think this one was going to be for his RA, but we agreed on a price. Just keep looking mate.
Andy T is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 10:03 AM
  #197  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Trails ; Dont know if this picture shows the arch pull well enough? took a few last night, will take more if required

Andy T is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 11:52 AM
  #198  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Trails ; Dont know if this picture shows the arch pull well enough? took a few last night, will take more if required

looking good...something else to go on my list I think...thanks Andy
trails is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 12:08 PM
  #199  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I think this may be my most Marmite mod...these arrived yesterday from 3peaks, thank you Martin


I'm much happier with the way it looks now; the lines of the car look less interrupted...well in my head anyway

before


after


I still haven't had time to refit the bumper as I'm struggling attaching the mesh nicely...but I've removed my struts again ready to fit my new spring which arrive on Friday

Last edited by trails; 24 July 2008 at 12:17 PM.
trails is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 12:22 PM
  #200  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by trails View Post
looking good...something else to go on my list I think...thanks Andy
No worries mate, it is well worth it, glad I could inspire for once !

There is so much lip under the rear arches it makes such a difference for tyre choice/ride height. Fronts are a bit harder, thats why i used a pro. Expect to pay 40-50 per arch, this includes all work and any repaint required after.
Andy T is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 12:40 PM
  #201  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
No worries mate, it is well worth it, glad I could inspire for once !

There is so much lip under the rear arches it makes such a difference for tyre choice/ride height. Fronts are a bit harder, thats why i used a pro. Expect to pay 40-50 per arch, this includes all work and any repaint required after.
I draw the line at DIY bodywork mods, I'm too kack handed to get a decent finish
trails is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 02:42 PM
  #202  
stoneface
Supporting Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cornwall
Posts: 1,110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Give this a wirl YouTube - DIY Arch Rolling Japanese Style
stoneface is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 06:00 PM
  #203  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stoneface View Post
but it did work...I'd like to try that out on someone else car first
trails is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 10:38 PM
  #204  
j555 hks
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: project 400 complete.
Posts: 681
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

great thread mate ,i should have done sumit similar
j555 hks is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 10:49 PM
  #205  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by j555 hks View Post
great thread mate ,i should have done sumit similar
get on it Martin, its never too late to start...it never ends after all
trails is offline  
Old 24 July 2008, 11:54 PM
  #206  
Andy T
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Posts: 537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Tell me about it !! had the wagon for 4 years as a 'sensible' but fun car.......... how things have gone down hill since then

Trails; are those power folding mirrors by any chance ?
Andy T is offline  
Old 25 July 2008, 10:23 AM
  #207  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Tell me about it !! had the wagon for 4 years as a 'sensible' but fun car.......... how things have gone down hill since then

Trails; are those power folding mirrors by any chance ?
that was what I was looking for originally but non-colour coded electric folding
mirrors are like rocking horse crap...so i gave up and just got some MY99 versions instead
trails is offline  
Old 26 July 2008, 02:40 PM
  #208  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

righto as usual nothings gone to plan; springs will be here Monday, bumper fixings (I decided to buy all new plastic fixings), will be here Tuesday-so another weekend with out the blessed thing

anyhow here are some pics of the new mesh and bonnet vents which i have finally got around to doing...they look OK but need sealing to hid the gaps.



insides are surprising neat considering I've done it all



A few pics of my new wheels, well I say new I've had them for nigh on five months! They are JDM Dunlop Direzza rims and rare as rocking horse $hit, this is the only pair I've ever seen in real life



And they are in amazing conditions, the origional inspection stickers are intact on ever wheel


I need to sort centre caps out and get them painted dark bronze...



They only weigh 6.9kg
trails is offline  
Old 26 July 2008, 03:02 PM
  #209  
53
Scooby Senior
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Standing Up
Posts: 16,743
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Looking good

Your wheels, why are they showing 114.3 in the last pic ? I thought the sticker was 5x100 or is this unrelated to PDC ? Pure sex BTW

690

Side mirrors look better in black

What have you used for the cold air feed tube ?
53 is offline  
Old 26 July 2008, 08:52 PM
  #210  
trails
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,904
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 53WRX View Post
Looking good

Your wheels, why are they showing 114.3 in the last pic ? I thought the sticker was 5x100 or is this unrelated to PDC ? Pure sex BTW

690

Side mirrors look better in black

What have you used for the cold air feed tube ?
Thank you

not sure to be honest, the inspection sticker has the correct offset and BCD...I saw them on the type R they came from too so I know they are correct

690kg I only noticed that today, the 6.9kg came from Googlle...I also found these centre caps RSC|ダン*ップアルミホイール DIREZZA(ディレッツァ)

cold air feed is made from reinforced ducting...3.50 from Screwfix
trails is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wagon fettle


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.