Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

2008 1.9CDTi SRi 150, injection pump tale of woe.

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2016, 07:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2008 1.9CDTi SRi 150, injection pump tale of woe.

Does anyone know if the pressure sensor for this pump is available separately?

Mine has gone faulty, although it's running OK now, an intermittent fault?
A local Opel dealer reckons it's ONLY available as part of the injection pump, and costs €1867 + VAT, plus four hours labour, plus VAT on that, so near enough €2800, which is more than the damned car is worth.

Any ideas, apart from scrapping it, anyone? IS the part available separately? Dealer reckons only for the 1.7 engine, 1.9 is integral
Old 26 July 2016, 08:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

gawd , sorry . It does seem to me theres more / more stuff to go wrong on a diesel . Ali will probably dispel that myth
mine just blow up all at once thankfully , I suppose ( 150 K ) . after having spent several thousand on it at 90k ..
Old 26 July 2016, 11:14 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
This Google search shows some available.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?scli...30.cCqdzdDzhpM
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Steve
Old 12 September 2016, 09:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any ideas? Ali? Still got this problem. And still getting told that the part isn't available and that the pump is coded to my engine

fault codes are:

Last edited by alcazar; 12 September 2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12 September 2016, 10:06 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

have you thought about asking on a Vauxhall forum rather then a Subaru one ?
Old 12 September 2016, 11:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did wonder what was happening with this new problem but didn't want to rub salt into your wounds think you should seriously consider cutting your losses with this car mate, it's cost you a bloody fortune, get it traded in against a lease car, fixed cost motoring is the way forward.
Old 12 September 2016, 11:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Or a highndry
Old 12 September 2016, 12:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Being brutally honest, I've never looked closely at the HP pump on these (never needed to, so maybe that may indicate something), I just assumed it was the same pump as fitted on many Bosch EDC15/16 systems which has either a Bosch CP1, CP3 or CP4 pump. As the rail and injectors are pretty much the same across the board, in theory the pump should be too...

I googled some pics of the pump -assuming it's the Z19DTH engine and indeed it does look visually similar to the usual Bosch HP pumps fitted on loads of makes cars of that era; And if it is, then there is no sensor on this pump...just a solonoid valve on the back, and that is replaceable, although can be difficult to obtain so Vauxhall may not stock it (although they do stock the Denso one fitted to the 1.7). It goes by a load of different names, and we do have a game getting them because the description varies so much from each parts supplier.

Names so far include:
High pressure Pump solenoid
High pressure Pump valve
Fuel quantity regulator
Fuel pressure regulating valve/solonoid
Fuel pressure control valve/solonoid
Suction control valve/solonoid (translated from German I guess. )

Best way is to try and get the Bosch part number off the valve which is 7 or 8 digit code.

They can fail, usually the o-ring has chaffed or debris from a neglected filter/fuel system or the pump breaking down and putting fine swarf in the Fuel system.

The pressure sensor on these systems is on the fuel rail. Along with a mechanical pressure limiting/relief valve...and both these parts can go faulty too. Sometimes they are only supplied as part of the entire fuel rail (expensive), but again if you can get the Bosch part number off the existing one, you can usually get them. I could be dreaming it but I seem to recall having an issue with the connector for the rail pressure sensor on these (or was it injectors, sorry the grey matter is failing me today).

When I've been stuck for Vauxhall parts I've used these guys quite a few times: http://www.krpsupplies.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

Just out of interest what's the symptoms?

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 September 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12 September 2016, 01:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
have you thought about asking on a Vauxhall forum rather then a Subaru one ?
Yes, been on two. No further forward.
Old 12 September 2016, 01:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I did wonder what was happening with this new problem but didn't want to rub salt into your wounds think you should seriously consider cutting your losses with this car mate, it's cost you a bloody fortune, get it traded in against a lease car, fixed cost motoring is the way forward.
Would that I had the disposable income.
Old 12 September 2016, 01:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Hope that helps.

Just out of interest what's the symptoms?
Yes it did, thanks.

Symptoms:
Driving at about 45mph, stuck behind a dawdler, saw a gap and booted it to go through, it pulls like a train, then, suddenly, it's like you have hit deep water.

After that it throws a fault light and won't go over 3000rpm in any gear...and no acceleration either.

If I then stopped, turned the engine off and back on again, the fault light went out once the engine was running, (although the codes were stored), and the car drove normally...until the next time I needed to accelerate, like pulling onto a motorway. Then it did it again.

Update: changed the fuel filter. It was light grey. Last time I did it, about 12 months ago, it was black, yet the car didn't have the same problem.
NOW I can't replicate the fault. Could it be as simple as that?

Driving it today, Mrs Alcazar will have it tomorrow, but if neither of us can replicate the fault, I'll cancel the appointment on Saturday with a local guy who knows his diesels.
Old 12 September 2016, 03:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Does indeed sound like fuel pressure (or air) problem.

What has possibly happened is when under high demand, the pump for whatever reason cannot supply enough fuel to maintain the required fuel pressure; solonoid injectors need fuel pressure to open (the basic operating principal is the same as a torbeck valve) - if the pressure isn't high enough they don't work. ECU sees this (or thinks this) and goes into limp home. It'll probably have a fault code saying insufficient fuel pressure.

The causes are anything that causes a low fuel pressure issue. The filter is one of them..if the O-ring on the housing or associated pipes/couplings is allowing bubbles of air to mix in with the fuel, this'll give a problem. As would the solonoid on the pump (which I mentioned) leaking too much fuel back to the fuel tank, the relief valve on the fuel rail leaking or popping open prematurely, or a injector failing and leaking too much fuel back through the spill pipes. The latter is the most common fault in this kind of situation. Rail pressure sensor can go intermittently open or short circuit, which will give similar symptoms but log different fault code and the engine would usually cut out completely and stall, although if it rapidly goes open/short circuit the engine may just buck and kangaroo instead.

I probably should point out excessive fuel pressure can also cause this (rare -usually caused by tuning boxes) or overboost (usually sticky turbo vanes - a common fault ). So the codes logged will point you in the appropriate direction.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 September 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12 September 2016, 08:07 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Would that I had the disposable income.
From what I have seen you shell out and the prospect of another £1800 bill then I'd say it's more a case of can you afford not to.

Seriously, do some sums with regard to your total spend on this car in the last 5yrs or so, I think you'll be surprised at the end result, I know I was.
Old 13 September 2016, 05:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I hear what you are saying, but at the mo, no spare money to even START a lease.
Old 13 September 2016, 10:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Threw my Audi away when the HP fuel pump went (well got £300 for it)

It did have 225k but was going cost over 1k to fix

Apparent a guy called "diesel bob" fixes them
Old 14 September 2016, 08:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

These two are defo my last diesels. Technology just hasn't kept up with, and seems unable to keep up with, the demands of low emissions.

My bro in law would like a new Jag diesel, but has been put off by the second filler cap for some fluid that the exhaust gases need to pass through on new diesels? Reckons it uses a litre or so every tank of fuel and no-one yet know how much to refill, or where????
Old 14 September 2016, 08:53 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Ad blue is the stuff you add, cow urine,
Sounds more like you haven't kept up with new cars rather the the cars fault lol
Old 14 September 2016, 03:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Ad blue is the stuff you add, cow urine,
Sounds more like you haven't kept up with new cars rather the the cars fault lol
How do you mean? Why do I need to "keep up with new cars" when mine are eight and six years old? And I can't afford a new one?

How would that have helped crappy Vauxhalls be any better?
Old 15 September 2016, 11:18 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
My bro in law would like a new Jag diesel, but has been put off by the second filler cap for some fluid that the exhaust gases need to pass through on new diesels? Reckons it uses a litre or so every tank of fuel and no-one yet know how much to refill, or where????
That the Urea liquid ( tradmarked and sold as ADblue ) or known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid in the JLR world. It's needed for the SCR system. It's injected into the exhaust flow to reduce NOx emissions.

Tank capacity is in the handbook, refill when the dash warning light tells you too and it's available at almost every petrol station or if you want to pay over the odd's buy it from a dealer.

Don't ignore the refill requests, as it's an emission control system it has to be working or the car will no longer start.
Old 19 September 2016, 03:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I assume the extra costs have been figured in when calculating fuel usage?
Old 19 September 2016, 04:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I doubt it, another con on the new diesel engine front if you ask me, low emissions and low fuel consumption are a load of bollocks, never get close to either in normal driving, also any small savings made at the pump are by far and away out weighed as soon as the slightest thing goes wrong as the bills always seem to be a grand or more.

Small new petrol engine on lease or PCP for the Mrs so the garage fix it for free if anything goes wrong, or very old diesel which I have and fix myself for peanuts it's the way forward.

Something I point out from time to time when this subject rears it's head is a test that was done many moons ago with 2 mondeo's one petrol and one diesel, the point at which the diesel started to save you money was 100k.