Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2013, 12:24 AM
Natski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helix clutch are they good ??

I have an 03 STi running between 380-400Bhp
The clutch is goosed so I'm looking to upgrade it for a excellent one
Is the helix clutch as good as the AP Racing one in terms of OE feel and power rating ? I know the AP Racing clutch is great but it costs more than the helix and has a lower torque cap (I am aware my car is well within both for now)

Also I realy don't want to go down the exeedy pink box route before anyone suggests I do.

So has anyone had any helix clutch experience ? Are they good value for money because they certainly ain't cheap

I need to get this clutch sorted out ASAP because the car needs to go on the rollers so I know what power it's making
Old 05 April 2013, 11:31 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on my 2.1. I must admit, I did not like it at first. Lots of judder at low speeds (hill starts were a smelly nightmare) and very heavy. However, 3,000 miles in and it's bedded in, softened somewhat and is much more progressive. The key for me is that it can cope with what the engine's torque throws at it (425/400) and once on the move it works very well.
Old 05 April 2013, 12:07 PM
Natski
Scooby Regular

I have been advised on NESF not to bother with the helix or the AP Racing clutch.
Apparently the exeedy standard (Blue box) clutch can cope with over 440 lb/ft of torque. So I'm now thinking whats the point in spending an extra £300 on a clutch that's going to do my head in. But I'm also thinking an exeedy blue box clutch won't last 5000 miles so I dont know what to do at this moment in time
Old 05 April 2013, 12:24 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Like I said, the Helix is fine now bedded, as will be the case with a lot of clutches. It was recommended and installed by Enginetuner, who know their stuff and I was happy to go with their recommendations bases on their experiences. They obviously produce lot of cars running this kind of power so I would be inclined to trust their judgement. It's worth speaking to tuners generally, as individual experiences are often not representative of the normal experience. Also, so much of a person's experience of a clutch depends on how they treat their car. In my case my spec was one of over engineering the car generally so it was in safe parameters, so that I would have a reliable package as its my daily driver. You'd kick yourself if you saved a small amount on a clutch just for it to go pop. But, money is money, so you may well be right.
Old 05 April 2013, 12:41 PM
Natski
Scooby Regular

That's exactly the situation I'm in at the moment I need to over engineer my car to make sure its safe and will last at least 30,000 miles. I'm going to give Alyn at AS Performance a ring when he has re opened on the 8th and see what he has to say as I have now been advised to go for an ACT clutch also..
I'm going to stay well clear from exeedy as I have read too many bad reports about them in the past
Old 05 April 2013, 03:17 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

AP clutchs are good as is the helix and ACT clutchs,but there is also Nothing wrong with a EXEDY clutch mate.i have been using them for years,but like any review I guess it's who you ask.SJ.
Old 05 April 2013, 03:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Exedy are the clutches to go for. They are the most popular clutches by far and are used by most people for a reason. Any bad reports will be isolated cases of the previous version clutch years ago or people still buying the old model from sellers that don't know what they are doing.

The one you will want is the Exedy Racing Organic Anti Judder. We sell 100s of Exedy clutches and they have been problem free.

These are as nice as OEM to drive
Old 08 April 2013, 10:13 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

no idea why you would have issues Sprigeteer as the Helix is better tan OE IME (as is the AP Racing)........

the Exedy "Pink box" are much improved 5spd wise although generally the 6spd never suffered the same issues anyhows BUT they are not as refined as the Helix and AP Racing

a std "blue box" OEM kit is never going to last/work at over 440lbs/ft IMO
Old 08 April 2013, 10:37 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've just taken an AP racing 6 speed clutch and API lightened flywheel out of my car, it had started to slip slightly (picked up during mapping) after around 10k, miles the car is currently at atound at 430lb/ft. The clutch plate is vgc and pressure plate looks as new, the fly however has 3 obvious high spots.
I'd heard good things about the ACT clutches as was trying to sort one but they were going to take too long to get one to me as there was quite a wait when I looked. I've now got a competition clutch stage 5, the 4 paddle sprung with one of their lightened flys. It feels good so far, light pedal but a bit 'grabby'.
My AP will be up for grabs at some point.
Old 09 April 2013, 06:46 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
no idea why you would have issues Sprigeteer as the Helix is better tan OE IME (as is the AP Racing)........

Seemed to be during manouvering speeds when the clutch was new. All well now.
Old 09 April 2013, 02:29 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
I've just taken an AP racing 6 speed clutch and API lightened flywheel out of my car, it had started to slip slightly (picked up during mapping) after around 10k, miles the car is currently at atound at 430lb/ft. The clutch plate is vgc and pressure plate looks as new, the fly however has 3 obvious high spots.
I'd heard good things about the ACT clutches as was trying to sort one but they were going to take too long to get one to me as there was quite a wait when I looked. I've now got a competition clutch stage 5, the 4 paddle sprung with one of their lightened flys. It feels good so far, light pedal but a bit 'grabby'.
My AP will be up for grabs at some point.
What supplier were you dealing with? I have a ACT Organic HD on order (via the garage who will fit it) Bren@Apex claim to have it in stock although I don't know if it's them my fitter is using.

JohnD
Old 09 April 2013, 04:50 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Tried act Uk, Subaru4you, As Performance, plus a few other places and I contacted act in the states. They had them on back order at the factory for the model I wanted.

The CC was next day delivered with flywheel for £650.
All from
http://www.competitionclutch.co.uk/
The guys I dealt with (Andy & Mick) were top guys.
Old 10 April 2013, 08:54 PM
Natski
Scooby Regular

Just to update you guys I managed to get an exedy organic (Pink box) from Driftworks at cost price to them as I ordered some coilovers from them a month ago and I have had a right carry on with them supplying me the correct top adjustable camber plates..

Thanks for your input on this guys..

Alyn I was not aware that the judder issues where only related to the 5 speed clutches thanks for the info..

Last edited by Natski; 02 May 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10 April 2013, 09:00 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on with it, good to get some feedback. Glad you got a good price.
Old 10 April 2013, 09:15 PM
Natski
Scooby Regular

I will do but it won't be getting fitted until I'm on my 10 days off again at the beginning of next month.. Unless my clutch gives up completely but its held on since October and I think I can manage to keep the right foot off the floor till then..