Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

PF discs and pads vs others

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2013, 06:45 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PF discs and pads vs others

Guys, I need discs and pads all round for the gold brmbo calipers, however I really cant make my mind up about what to go for?

Im leaning towards pf discs and z pads, it's a very expensive combo though.

Are there others that match or surpass the pf combo?

Anybody compared the pf combo to Carbone Lorraine RC5+?

Thanks
Old 08 October 2013, 06:55 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I have been a big supporter of performance friction two piece disc and pads setup for the brembo caliper for years they work extremely well with minimal dust and quiet in operation,but saying that the carbone lorraine rc5+ pads are very good also and have there place especially if you are doing track days but are noisier and have more dusting then the PF pads,but if I had to choose between the two it would be PF everytime.SJ.
Old 08 October 2013, 07:03 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply SJ, I just want to be sure im buying the right kit, as buying the discs, then pads, braided hoses, fluid and a brake stopper is near enough 1k

Looked into getting some Ksport calipers but from what Ive read the Brembo caliper may actually be better, as apparently the piston surface greater than the Ksports (or something like that, was reading late at night).
Old 08 October 2013, 07:13 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

I should have mentioned the car wont be going on track for the next year at least, brakes will be needed for hard road use, deserted country roads in the middle of the night.
Old 08 October 2013, 07:16 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run both.
PF discs are great.
I currently run RC5+.
The only thing I didn't like about the PF Z pads was the cold bite. It was too different from my wife's car.
Other than that, all good for me
Old 09 October 2013, 08:42 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

PFC do various compounds, the z-rated is their entry level "street" type pad and whilst its very cost effective and decent for what its aimed at the likes of 01, 07, 08 or one of the newer compounds coming through may well match your needs far better

IMO rc5 is not a competitor to std z-rated and the fact that the z-rated gets somewhere near even at the entry level speaks volumes IMO

as one of THE largest PFC distributors in the UK (not just a simple re-seller) we can happily provide the full range of PFC to suit your needs

0191-4103770
Old 09 October 2013, 09:47 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cster
The only thing I didn't like about the PF Z pads was the cold bite. It was too different from my wife's car.
Same here, although people rave about the Z-rated pads, I drove a car with them and they are just very slightly better on cold bite than the EBC blues which are horrible during the first 3 brakings; still not equivalent/as good as the OEM pads and they have a wooden feel as the EBC blues. Brake fluid is new and the brakes have been bled twice.

Originally Posted by AS Performance
PFC do various compounds, the z-rated is their entry level "street" type pad and whilst its very cost effective and decent for what its aimed at the likes of 01, 07, 08 or one of the newer compounds coming through may well match your needs far better

IMO rc5 is not a competitor to std z-rated and the fact that the z-rated gets somewhere near even at the entry level speaks volumes IMO

as one of THE largest PFC distributors in the UK (not just a simple re-seller) we can happily provide the full range of PFC to suit your needs

0191-4103770
Alyn, I will give you a call later to discuss this as I need something that is as good (or better) than an OEM Brembo pad -cold bite wise- but can also take a good beating on the occasional track day (once or max twice a year).

I've been looking at Pagids (I had RS 4-2-1 black previously and they were a great pad but when I removed them after a few trackdays they had tiny cracks which means they were overheated - despite that the braking was still good) and checking friction coefficients in various temperatures I think the Pagid Grey or RS 4-2 would suit my needs having a good cold bite it seems but also withstanding higher temperatures.

Are the greys and RS 4-2 good on cold bite?

Is there something equivalent to the Pagid greys or RS 4-2 from the PFC range at a better price?

Last edited by fpan; 09 October 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 09 October 2013, 10:05 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

+1 for the PF z rated pads.

Deals with my lardy leggy on long track sessions without trouble and if bedded in properly has great bite from cold.

PF stuff is expensive, but buy cheap, buy twice! :-)
Old 11 October 2013, 10:07 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

I will be looking to get some pf pads for my d2 8 pots after speaking with alyn. Come highly recommended and priced well. Be used on track too.
Old 11 October 2013, 12:29 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the responses guys, think I will have to toss a coin though, as Ian Godspeed is doing the Carbone Lorraine Rc5+ and discs for just under £500.

Tiny part of me says buy the PF combo, other part says buy the cheaper stuff and spend the rest on a map!
Old 11 October 2013, 12:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by just me
Many thanks for the responses guys, think I will have to toss a coin though, as Ian Godspeed is doing the Carbone Lorraine Rc5+ and discs for just under £500.

Tiny part of me says buy the PF combo, other part says buy the cheaper stuff and spend the rest on a map!
I guess in the end it does come down to how much money you have to spend but the carbone Lorraine rc5+ will still be adequate and a massive improvement over the standard set up,so really your in a win win situation.SJ.
Old 11 October 2013, 05:53 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Another vote for PFdiscs and pads they are awsome
Old 14 October 2013, 03:09 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Simple rule ... You get what you pay for... PF 08 pads are on another league...
Old 14 October 2013, 05:04 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

I have PF rotors and Pagid RS42 - very good.
Old 17 October 2013, 05:37 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

I think the PF rotors are excellent.
One thing that must be taken into account is how much rotor wear the given pads will cause,
I have a feeling that PF pads will cause less wear than RC5+.
Anybody out there who can add anything to this.
This will certainly effect just how cheap each option will be. The cheapest to buy initially may well prove more expensive over a given time.
Personally I will take performance over expense, but I do track the car a fair bit and so expect to chuck large amounts of cash at the car for general wear and tear.