Calipers seized after MOT...???

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2013, 11:53 PM
Relaxcraft
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers seized after MOT...???

Hi

I had an MOT done the other day on a 98 impreza sport and when I picked it up it felt abit odd but was only driving slowly. After about 1-2 miles I realised that it was slowing down on its own so i pulled over and realised that the front bakes were semi stuck on. Mainly the drivers one which was smoking but both sides were very hot including the alloys. I called the garage back and was told to return it. I did and they said that the brake test must have caused the calipers to seize. I had to leave it over night and when I collected it next day they said they had spayed them with silicon grease and cleaned them up and they should be ok but might re-seize. Last couple of days tho the passengers still seems to be slightly stuck making it hotter than the other but not hot enough to smoke or make the alloy hot. Is this common to have a brake test seize calipers as it's been fine b4 and driven virtually ever day??? Also whats the best way to de-glaze the discs???

Last edited by Relaxcraft; 06 July 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07 July 2013, 10:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like a full caliper overhaul might be in order.

Best way is to strip and clean up, replace seals and refit, bleed.

Contact AS Performance or Godspeed for advice and parts.

I think Ian at Godspeed MIGHT do stainless calipers to stop them corroding again. Not sure about your model though. Does it have the twin pot front brakes?
Old 10 July 2013, 06:28 AM
Relaxcraft
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI

Sorry I didn't see your reply notifications must be off. I've had the passenger side caliper open which is the bad one now. They said it was seized on the sliders and piston b4 but the top slider seems fine where as the bottom one just seems stiff. I dont know how hard it should be to move but it all seems like its down to the rubber bush at the far end. I worked the piston in and out a few times and deglazed the pads and disc abit. It's all still the same tho, godspeed said they dont do pistons for one pot's but i've seen some on ebay. Do you know if the proportioning valve affect left/right bias???