Hawkeye WRX Tyre Wear & Offset

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2013, 01:01 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye WRX Tyre Wear & Offset

Hi All,

I have a 07 Hawkeye WRX running standard suspension with a set of 18" Inovite Tarmac [PCD 5x100 ET45] alloys on 225/40/R18 Falken FK452 tyres.

The problem I am having is excessive inner front tyre wear. I had the same problem with my previous Bugeye WRX with 18" Inovite CTS [PCD 5x100 ET42] alloys with the same tyres.

When I have the wheels first put on to both cars I have the tracking set up for Subaru standard settings the tyres then wear excessively on the inner fronts. I then take them back to get the tracking set to the wear pattern which is not ideal.

I note that the standard Hawkeye offset is ET53 on a 17" rim, is it a combined offset and diameter issue that is causing this wear? I note that running a large wheel will make the problem worse.

I know people that are running a bugeye and a blobeye on a set of 18" prodrive ppf7's with no issues and they have an offset of ET50. Anyone know where these can be purchased nowadays?

I am looking to purchase a new set of alloys soon and want to make sure I get it right. I am looking at a set of 17" Rota GRA's which have an offset of ET48, good or bad idea? I would rather have 18's really but worry I am going to get the same wear.

Any advise would be most welcome
Old 01 June 2013, 04:40 AM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The size and offset of the wheel should have no bearing on the wear of the tyre. The important thing is the contact area with the ground. I'd advise checking that nothing is worn with regards to steering and suspension components. Then when you're happy all is well there, get your camber, castor and toe set up correctly
Old 01 June 2013, 09:49 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for answering.

Trouble is I had the same problem with my last Bugeye too. Also when running the Hawkeye on standard rims I had no problems. I also took it to two different tracking garages, one being a decent one - Powerstation in Tewkesbury, made no difference.

I have read in several places that going anything +\- 5mm off standard offset will reck handling and one assumes knacker tyres too? On this basis, standard offset is 53 then nothing lower than ET48.

It makes me wonder as Rotas run ET48 with P1's and pff7's between ET48 and 52.

Not sure what to do next really. Maybe go for wheels as close to ET53 as poss and stick with 17s. If this makes odds then further investigations required!