Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Alloy Wheel Advice

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2013, 02:31 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alloy Wheel Advice

my wheels need a bit of tlc there black wheels with a machined/diamond cut face but the problem as you can see is that our roads have just destroyed the laquer finish on the face of them

What I'm wanting to do is get rid of all the crap off the face and either be able to polish and buff it up or just spray the actual face of them. I've got an extra wheel that's damaged so can practice on that before going near the wheels on the car so any advice appreciated on what to use for rubbing down first of all then what can be used to get a decent finish.

Also not interested in plasti dipping them doesn't give a great finish IMO
Looking to do this myself to keep costs down

Any advice appreciated
Old 01 May 2013, 11:41 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently refurbed my alloys and believe me, once I started I wished I didn't. Its so much work and theyll never be perfect. I don't know if this would work for you but this is what I did -

I washed them properly then used 600 wet n dry. Rub until your fingers burn then rub some more. I used isopon plastic filler for any repairs. Leave to dry then rub with 800 until smooth like a baby's batty. At this stage you would need some sort of polish so cant help here as I sprayed mine with 3 coats primer, then 3 coats paint, then 4 coats 2pac lacquer.

Then after all that I had to buff them with compound as rain drops f**ked them up. Then I waxed them with some dodo juice. It took 5 days and I should have just powder coated them but the local shop shut down and I wanted to mod the look a bit. Good luck.

Last edited by meth mouth; 02 May 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02 May 2013, 04:28 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your advice mate its really only the face of the wheels so gonna give it a bash with the spare wheel see how I get on ive got wet n dry there so gonna see how that comes out once rubbed down just need to spend a bit more time masking oh joy