Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Faint grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2013, 05:09 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint grinding sound

as above i have a faint grinding noise coming from what sounds like ,behind the front wheels i have checked my pads and have about half life left on but back are on minimum ,but im sure its from the front end. could it be the discs buggered it doesnt sound like a bearing either it sounds like rubbing pads metal to metal but pads are goodalso i have seen some peoples brakes on here have seized because of the weather this year but they are working as good as they ever have which is ok ....not the best too be honest but good enough. starting to get annoying now specially with window down .............any ideas??? thanks
Old 18 March 2013, 06:16 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Did you check the inside pads as well and not just the outer ones, might want to check and see if you have a small stone trapped between the back of the disc and the dust/dirt plate or even that the plate isn't rubbing against the disc

Last edited by sweden; 18 March 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 18 March 2013, 06:33 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

im sure its not a trapped stone as surely it would of grinded down and gone the noise has been there for some time now isnt getting worse or better. i havent checked the inside pads yet but wouldnt they ware down at the same speed and be even????????
Old 18 March 2013, 06:54 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

You would think so matey but you might have a inner piston that is sticking very slightly this means the inner pad has slight pressure all the time and therefor wears out quicker it's a very common fault/mistake people tend to only check the pad they can see.

Yep a stone normally grinds out after a week, worth checking the back plate isn't rubbing against the disk if the pads are all ok though
Old 18 March 2013, 07:08 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

ok thanks im going to check tomorrow
any ideas of how to test the piston and free it up if needed??
Old 18 March 2013, 07:43 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

have a good look around the rubber dust cover for any tears if nothing visible try to ease the piston back into the caliper with a large set of grips, if you have to use to much force it's pointless as the piston is damaged end off and will always cause trouble in the future, a refurb kit will be needed so don't bother trying to clean the old piston.

Of course you could be lucky and the pads have been sticking on the pins/caliper in which case when fitting new pads make sure the pins are nice n clean and that the pads slide smoothly in the caliper

Last edited by sweden; 18 March 2013 at 07:50 PM.