Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Soft Brakes - Hawkeye SI

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2013, 11:07 PM
RikTee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Brakes - Hawkeye SI

I brought a front set of grooved discs and EBC Bluestuff pads a few weeks ago.

they are now well bedded in but the braking seems really soft.

I had EBC Blues on before (replaced all round about 23k miles ago), these were with the original discs and I appreciate that the Blues do seem to take time to warm up before they really bite, but this time they just feel quite soft in the pedal.

They work fine, seem to brake ok when really pressed etc, i had them fitted by a Subaru Main Dealer and even took them back and asked to them to take a look / bleed the system after I had bedded them in but it's made no difference,and they seemed to think they were ok

Any ideas what may be causing this and what I can do to rectify it ? Car is a 56 STI with standard brembos

Cheers
Rich
Old 17 March 2013, 12:11 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Check the disc is not caulked up with dust and pad wear, I read a thread recently on this and it turned out to be the pads iirc got too hot, when they took them out it turned out they were cracking, think he got them too hot too early on the bedding in, drop Ian at Godspeed or Alyn at AS Performance a pm if they don't pop along here, not saying it is that problem with yours but sounds similar with what your describing.
Old 17 March 2013, 06:40 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

It sounds like fluid when last have you changed your brake fluid?SJ.
Old 17 March 2013, 12:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Fluid change/bleed is first port of call. At the same time checking for any leaks from pistons etc (not to forget the master cylinder).

Check wheel bearings, slight play can cause the pads to knock back and a extra inch or so on pedal travel.

Next step inspect braking surfaces....especially the inside disc surfaces that you generally can't see. Rust would indicate a issue. Large grooves or lips on the disc can cause poor pedal feel.

After that remove pads, but before removing make sure they move freely on the guides and slides and aren't stuck. Also check each piston moves smoothly, doesn't stick and doesn't leak, any tears in the rubber boots would almost certainly mean a rusty piston, which will stick at some point.

Then finally the pads, make sure they aren't cracking or pealing away from the backing plate.
Old 18 March 2013, 04:08 PM
RikTee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, to respond to some of the points.

Discs and pads are new so I wouldn't expect their to be any dust / rust build up, was changed by a main dealer who had the car for two days due to the old caliper bolt breaking and needing to be drilled out problem. Brakes have felt soft evey since getting the car back but obvioulsy was bedding them in for the first few hundred miles so not trying to hard.

Fluid was changed at last service so approx 4k miles ago, brakes have been bled when I took the car back to them after bedding in and asked them to look into it.

I head somewhere that not changing the rears at the same time may cause this type of problem ? also is it possible that the pistons in the calipers were pushed too far back when changing the pads ?

Cheers
Rich