Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Kevlar Pad opinions please? VS Pagid's

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2013, 03:59 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevlar Pad opinions please? VS Pagid's

Aztec are doing a great deal on their Kevlar pads at the moment (Front and Rear for £99). Could I get some honest opinions on them please for anyone that has had/have them?

I'm currently running standard Brembo's & Discs on my 07 Hawk Sti and looking for a decent but cheap pad to upgrade to (without disc change).

I guess the options are Aztec's Kevlars, Pagid's from EurocarParts LINK or If neither of the above are good enough then I may consider EBC's Yellowstuff/Bluestuff if they offer significantly better performance for the much higher price tag.
Old 18 February 2013, 04:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Those Pagids are just standard pads mate. If standard pads is what you are after we can sort, but as discussed the Kevlar pads are the most popular for normal/fast road use.

Did you get me email okay?
Old 18 February 2013, 04:49 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Those Pagids are just standard pads mate. If standard pads is what you are after we can sort, but as discussed the Kevlar pads are the most popular for normal/fast road use.

Did you get me email okay?
Email received ok - thanks for that. In fairness was hoping to get some feedback from other members on here with a similar setup.

After a few searches the Kevlar pads get mixed reviews so I'm concerned about why that is. I appreciate the Pagid's are standard pads however they're highly rated for their price on here it seems.

I don't want to spend out on something that's going to be similar to OE in terms of performance but just cost more.. If it turns out the Kevlars are just that then I may as well just pay the extra and go with the EBC's (or similarly spend less and go with the Pagid's)

Thanks for your help so far
Old 18 February 2013, 04:56 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Aztec,

I also noticed that Godspeed sell Kevlar pads - how do these compare/differ to the ones that you supply?

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~god...?id_product=64

Cheers!
Old 18 February 2013, 05:00 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Have a search for ebc bluestuuf ndx or performance friction, pagid, etc and you'll find very mixed reviews on all Just the very nature of brakes and different people like different things.

Front and rear: OEM (£50) > Kevlar (£80)> Performance Friction .11 (£195) > EBC Bluestuff (£223)

Both the Kevlar pads and the Performance Friction pads have the best success rate with our customers.
Old 18 February 2013, 05:02 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Same pads, we had so much success with the Kevlar "blue" pads that they saw this and started selling the same as us

The very fact that both main brake suppliers supply the same pads speaks volumes about the value and popularity.

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 18 February 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 18 February 2013, 05:20 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

ecp pagid pads mass produced rubbish ask ecp all about there pagid brake cleaner

ebc pads are good when used for the write application ive never had an issue.

its quite funny ive got a sti on a 04 and it came with ebc reds in it and there total poop why because they should never have found there way into a sti caliper in the first place.

Trending Topics

Old 18 February 2013, 07:55 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Kevlar pads work well for east road use but you will get loads of brake dust and I mean Loads !
Old 19 February 2013, 12:32 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys - I'm either looking to go with the Aztec Kevlar's or a set of EBC's YellowStuff (can get these for £116 Front and £60 Rear)...

If anyone else has experience with either please do let me know your thoughts! Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

@ Aztec - emailed replied to with request for further info please.

Last edited by agoutimonty; 19 February 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 19 February 2013, 12:43 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Kevlar pads work well for east road use but you will get loads of brake dust and I mean Loads !
Dave - your comment about extreme brake dust worries me (as I've just put brand new wheels on this weekend!) I was advised that the brake dust on these was average. Are you using the Aztec ones or a different brand?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:30 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

whilst i'm sure the Kevlar pads have thier place, from our view point they are not much of a step forward when compared to a genuine OE type material

for the sort of budget mentioned, personally you will find the likes of the newer Brembo HP Sport pads far more suited to both day to day shopping runs and more arduous work-outs, it has been designed from the outset as a "fast road" material capable of exceeding OE requirements & abilities and even pretty much matching their wear rates/life

it is not designed for track days per se but will withstand some mild track use in the same way the likes of Ferodo ds2500 does but with a far better all round "bite"

alyn
Old 19 February 2013, 01:33 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My front wheels go from silver to dark grey very quickly
Old 19 February 2013, 01:50 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by agoutimonty
Dave - your comment about extreme brake dust worries me (as I've just put brand new wheels on this weekend!) I was advised that the brake dust on these was average. Are you using the Aztec ones or a different brand?
Just put a good wheel sealent on and give them abit more attention at wash time and you will be fine like yourself I'm a bit of clean freak and as much as my car gets driven hard I don't like it to look that way.SJ.
Old 19 February 2013, 03:14 PM
agoutimonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
whilst i'm sure the Kevlar pads have thier place, from our view point they are not much of a step forward when compared to a genuine OE type material

for the sort of budget mentioned, personally you will find the likes of the newer Brembo HP Sport pads far more suited to both day to day shopping runs and more arduous work-outs, it has been designed from the outset as a "fast road" material capable of exceeding OE requirements & abilities and even pretty much matching their wear rates/life

it is not designed for track days per se but will withstand some mild track use in the same way the likes of Ferodo ds2500 does but with a far better all round "bite"

alyn
Thanks Alyn - I was concerned about spending a little amount and not feeling much improvement to be honest (which your comment leads me to believe I would). Would rather spend a little more and get something that works properly and makes a noticeable difference. I had a look on your site and could not see the Brembo HP Sports pads, do you sell them? If so how much delivered? (please provide a link if they're on your site) thanks

Any feedback on EBC YellowStuff? Can get them for pretty decent prices so wondering how different they are to the BlueStuffs.

Originally Posted by Dave Y
My front wheels go from silver to dark grey very quickly
Luckily I have PFF7 replicas in Gunmetal so may not stand out as much!

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Just put a good wheel sealent on and give them abit more attention at wash time and you will be fine like yourself I'm a bit of clean freak and as much as my car gets driven hard I don't like it to look that way.SJ.
Will defo be doing that, thanks (as well as staying a mile away from any kerbs at the moment )
Old 19 February 2013, 03:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

To be honest Ive never really been a EBC fan I have not tried there new compounds though but there old stuff was pants,but I do hear good things about there new compounds blue and orange.I am now a PFC(performance friction) convert as there pads are top draw excellent bite and minimum dusting,that's a win win in my books.I think though it really comes down to your budget and how much you can afford.remember though its just as important if not more so to stop your car then to go fast.so don't scrimp on brakes.SJ.
Old 19 February 2013, 07:07 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

no E*C here either.................tend to find they are very inconsistent and suffer more wear than equivalent materials

as for Brembo Sport then sorry no they are not on that site (its currently run by a close associate company rather than directly)

easiest is to simply email or call the office direct and we'll happily run thro' some options and costs

alyn
0191-4103770
Old 19 February 2013, 07:17 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alyn........you provided me with some Pagid Blue pads about 8 years ago now. They were really quite nice with good cold bite and stopping power.

Just out of curiosity do Pagid still make them ?

Shaun
Old 19 February 2013, 07:29 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

yes Pagid still do the original rs4.2 "blues" and very capable they are too, although there are various others compunds in their range and they have just released their latest updates as of January..............
Old 19 February 2013, 08:30 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Alyn......Found them just a tad better than the Ferrodo DS2500 and a little cleaner

Now on Carbotech XP8

Shaun
Old 19 February 2013, 08:57 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

so they should be Shaun they are an entry level track/competition material rather than a fast road/mild trackday pad that the ds2500 is.................

PFC would be a better bet than your current pads but not really available for the Tarox caliper
Old 19 February 2013, 08:59 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So what is a good pad that gives minimal dust but good braking performance? Is it best to put the same pads on front and rear?
Old 19 February 2013, 09:05 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

far better to 'balance' the car by matching the braking effort at both ends

as for low dust then thats not always compatible with performance as it tends to be a by-product of friction, but most modern pads are pretty well balanced in that respect
Old 19 February 2013, 09:12 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

so what do you recommend for fast road use?
Old 20 February 2013, 08:40 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

everybody has different ideas about what constitutes 'fast road ' but generally either the HP Sport Brembo pads or for similiar friction with a far higher temp ability the PFC z-rated.......

if your doing more like "trackday" stylee then we have more track orientated options from Pagid, PFC, etc.....

alyn
Old 07 July 2013, 07:21 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Thread revival, im after some new brake pads now, will be changing to braided hose lines, on std 4 pots, dont really want to upgrade to brembos, after some decent pads, something good as I love braking hard, always pushing my car to the limits, I had black diamond pads on and they lasted me 3k miles, so you can guess what I do lol, whats the best fast road brake to use? Also what brake fluid?
Old 07 July 2013, 07:32 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veerinder9
Thread revival, im after some new brake pads now, will be changing to braided hose lines, on std 4 pots, dont really want to upgrade to brembos, after some decent pads, something good as I love braking hard, always pushing my car to the limits, I had black diamond pads on and they lasted me 3k miles, so you can guess what I do lol, whats the best fast road brake to use? Also what brake fluid?
For hard road use these work very well :http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk/but be prepared to clean your wheels more regularget them from Alyn of AS PERFORMANCE or IAN of GODSPEED.SJ.
Old 07 July 2013, 07:34 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

I wash my car every week so thats not a problem
Old 07 July 2013, 07:36 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
For hard road use these work very well :http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk/but be prepared to clean your wheels more regularget them from Alyn of AS PERFORMANCE or IAN of GODSPEED.SJ.

Which one am I supposed to be looking at?
Old 07 July 2013, 07:36 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I wash my car every week so thats not a problem
SJ.
Old 07 July 2013, 07:37 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Which one am I supposed to be looking at?
RC5+.SJ.

Quick Reply: Kevlar Pad opinions please? VS Pagid's