18" wheels with PZero Rosso or just replace 17" tyres

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2013, 12:05 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" wheels with PZero Rosso or just replace 17" tyres

Not sure what to do.

Saw set of 4 18" alloys shod with Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres in dealers a few months back. Were technically second hand but looked new (both tyres and alloys). Wanted £800 for them - thought that was a good deal so said that I might take them.

For various reasons, I've not been able to get them but with MOT looming later this week, I need to make a decision. My own car (MY05 WRX) has OEM 17" alloys with worn out Goodyear F1s. I have to say that these tyres have been a bit disappointing. There were good at first but in the last 5000 miles, they have been awful. Now I admit that with only 2mm of tread now (and NO tread on the inner few cms) I shouldn't except good grip but they've been poor for >5000 miles. Anyway I want a change and thought that I might get these 18" wheels.

I have since read that 18" wheels aren't always an improvement. Bear in mind that I have BC Coilovers and find them, at times, a little harsh over poor road surfaces. I also have concerns about the PZeros. The reviews on these tyres are mixed but many don't rate them and I've only had Pirellis once before (different tread) and found them dangerous in the wet. So I'm worried that I might end up with a harsh ride and poor grip in the wet.

I'm more inclined to keep my 17" alloys and try a different tyre and particularly one that has good wet grip. Used to always get Uniroyal Rainsport 2 which are the best wet tyre that I have tried but had to stop buying because every time I hit a pothole they would blow the side walls.

Opinions please?

D.

Last edited by DJB3; 21 January 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 21 January 2013, 01:43 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a better feel of the road and a less harsh enviroment stick with 17"`s if you have coilovers would be my advice, You`re gonna feel everything with the lower profile of the sidewall as our roads are officially $hite