Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
View Poll Results: Which Tyre To Get For A UK 1999 Classic (215/40/17)
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (My Choice)
40.59%
Toyo Proxes 4 (Friends Choice)
5.94%
Toyo Proxes T1R (Friends Choice)
36.63%
Other (Your Choice - Please Specify)
16.83%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

[POLL] -Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - Proxes - ?Other?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2012, 02:24 PM
Mattmann
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [POLL] -Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - Proxes - ?Other?

Hey guys,

Just after a bit of advice..

I own a 1999 UK Classic, PPP (around 250 bhp ) and P1 wheels - so 215/40/17 (No track days)

I'm thinking about some Ultrac Sessanta's, my friend is trying to convince me to get some Proxes (I guess the newer PX4's, but he could mean the T1R's - are they better?)..

Or is there another tyre I should go for?

Money isn't too much of an issue, would prefer the £100 mark limit, which is another reason I think the Ultrac Sessanta's would be good

Any help appreciated...

More infomation - I have some Avon ZZ3's on there at the moment.. The rears seem fine (was thinking about keeping them on there), but the fronts have a bit of pressure loss. The resulted pressure loss has meant that tyre has worn on the inside, and may not pass mot (booked in for tomorrow, not needed quite yet though). Check the front drivers side the other day and it was quite low, around 23psi, so need to change them.. Would eventually go all round though. (Would it be worth it moving the avons to the front for the moment and putting newer tyre on the rear for better wear?).

Many thanks, Matt

Last edited by Mattmann; 03 December 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03 December 2012, 07:51 PM
Noris8322
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about the Toyo R1R's? Not cheap but very good performance tyre
Old 03 December 2012, 08:01 PM
Mattmann
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Noris8322
Have you thought about the Toyo R1R's? Not cheap but very good performance tyre
If I'm honest, I havent really thought much about it at all...

I just heard great things about the Ultrac Sessanta's so thought I would try them out...
Said to my friend, and he said that he wouldnt want to trust something he has never heard of before...

I also found some UniRoyals RainSport 2 which I have read many good things about, for £115 a tyre... Which I guess isnt a bad price to pay...

Basically, I'm just here gauging on what others would do

Thanks for your reply.
Matt
Old 03 December 2012, 11:26 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are running Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on our wagon with 490bhp and must admit,they're best which we are tried on our wagon,we are tried them too on the track and on surprisingly has been great

Grip which they offering in the wet is just awesome and in the dry they're great too

Jura
Old 04 December 2012, 08:20 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Yoko AD08s
Old 04 December 2012, 08:30 AM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

As above or Parada Spec 2
Old 04 December 2012, 09:30 AM
Mattmann
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

We are running Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on our wagon with 490bhp and must admit,they're best which we are tried on our wagon,we are tried them too on the track and on surprisingly has been great

Grip which they offering in the wet is just awesome and in the dry they're great too

Jura
Thanks for your response, Jura. Might have to check them out.

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Yoko AD08s
Bodski, They're £146 from camskill, and I did want a £100 marker limit... If I get more monies in the future, I might have to check them out...
I did have some Yoko's on my old 106, and it did stick like glue, just very soft and ended up puntured... Don't know if they were AD08's though..

Originally Posted by Steve777
As above or Parada Spec 2
My friend had some Parada's (not sure if they were "Spec 2's"), but he did say they were very good! A bit cheaper than the Ultrac Sessanta's too

Thanks for all the responses guys!!
Keep the voting coming!

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2012, 05:37 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Falken FK452s are supposed to be a good compromise. Not tried them myself
Old 04 December 2012, 06:00 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2
Old 05 December 2012, 09:03 AM
billy21
Scooby Regular

^^^^ same as above. Got them on my type r running nearly 400 and brilliant in both wet and dry
Old 06 December 2012, 05:55 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

I rate my T1r's. Got them at less than 80 a corner for 18's. If i was feeling a little more flush id have had yoko spec 2's.
Old 06 December 2012, 05:58 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Always thought the 17" P1 wheels ran a 45 profile

Glad i'm wrong though, more choice in the 40 profile
Old 06 December 2012, 06:09 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Yokohama AD08's...nuff said!
Old 06 December 2012, 07:14 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by richie001
+1 the best on wet,
ad08 yes for 30 days on summer or tracks
Old 06 December 2012, 09:55 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
ad08 yes for 30 days on summer or tracks
Have you actually tried them?

Recently put a set of AD08's on with a GEO set-up by Simon @ Chevron Motorsport (sprint settings). They performed perfectly well on a run over the Beacons & Black Mountain, with some atrocious weather (horizontal rain)!
Never felt as though they were going to let go & we were pushing on
Old 07 December 2012, 12:24 AM
djwa
Scooby Regular

Im running Proxes T1R's £292 x4 +£9 postage off flea bay i must say they are good
Old 07 December 2012, 06:43 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by IggyRB320

Recently put a set of AD08's on with a GEO set-up by Simon @ Chevron Motorsport (sprint settings). They performed perfectly well on a run over the Beacons & Black Mountain, with some atrocious weather (horizontal rain)!
Don't need them as I have f1 assym2, depends what you after,better have best tyre on wet,then best on dry.
For my own you can buy the best tyre on ice for 100 yearly hours with it
Old 07 December 2012, 08:50 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IggyRB320

Agree with Iggy on that one. I've still got mine on and have at no time felt anything other than planted. And we've had some pretty terrible rain round here recently too.
Old 07 December 2012, 11:08 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
Having tried both, the Vredestein pisses all over those, and drenches that piece of crap Toyo offer - I hated those so much that I ended up taking them off
Old 08 December 2012, 02:56 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Toyo T1R are good,but more for classic than for New age,on New age they're not the bst just due have soft sidewall

We are run like Falken FK452 which has been OK,new FK453 seems have good reviews just due they're now asymmetric pattern design

We are now running on our wagon Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta for few months and they're been really spotless and really I can only recommend them

Jura
Old 08 December 2012, 07:53 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

The thing with tyres is different set ups & driving styles suit different tyres. The Toyos are good in the dry & although not too bad in the wet tend to let go suddenly with no warning. The uniroyals are great in the wet & not too bad in the dry. Sessantas are a great tyre wet or dry & my No 1 choice for UK roads all year round, but you can't always get them, last time I wanted a set had to fit Hankook Ventus V12 which are another good all rounder as are Goodyear eagle F1. If not doing track days stay away from Toyo or Yokohama & get Sessantas if you can.
Old 14 December 2012, 12:21 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
The thing with tyres is different set ups & driving styles suit different tyres. The Toyos are good in the dry & although not too bad in the wet tend to let go suddenly with no warning. The uniroyals are great in the wet & not too bad in the dry. Sessantas are a great tyre wet or dry & my No 1 choice for UK roads all year round, but you can't always get them, last time I wanted a set had to fit Hankook Ventus V12 which are another good all rounder as are Goodyear eagle F1. If not doing track days stay away from Toyo or Yokohama & get Sessantas if you can.
Agree with some of the above.
In the last 8 years of Scoob ownership, I've run Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2 and GSD3's, Continental SportContact 2's, Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas, Dunlops (can't remember the model), and currently Hankook Ventus v12's.

Personally, I think the F1 GSD2's were a great tyre, but the GSD3's were an utter pile of cack and nothing short of frightening in the wet.
The wear rate is also shocking - I went through a set in less than 8000 miles of commuting (much of which is due to the soft sidewalls, even if you over-inflate them to about 36 or 37PSI), not exactly on the limit! Whilst I haven't experienced them first hand, I hear the asymmetrics suffer from the same problems with wear rates and side walls.

Dunlops were very middle of the road - neither great nor awful.
I found the Vredesteins to be exceptionally good for both dry and wet grip, and the wear rate was good. They lasted nearly 12000 miles.

When I bought my STI, it had Continentals on with about 2.5-3mm of tread left, yet I have to say I was massively impressed with the dry grip - absolutely superb and possibly the best dry tyre I've driven on; unless it was wet I couldn't really get it to break traction unless I went mad
Can't comment on very wet usage as I didn't encounter much rain but on damp surfaces they seemed fine.

I then decided to take a chance on a set of Hankooks Evo Ventus's as they were about £20 cheaper a corner than Vredesteins or Continentals and a few people were raving about them.
I've had them on the car about 10 months now, and my impression is - relatively decent tyre, average grip in wet and dry, but not on a par with the Vredesteins or Continentals.
They also seem to offer less warning when the car's about to break traction compared to the Vredesteins.
Wear rate seems fine though.
To sum up, I wouldn't buy another set - When this set wear out I'll be going back to one of those two.

Mates who have tried Toyos reports similar issues to some of the posters above - they're unpredictable when the tread gets low, and the wear rate isn't wonderful.
I've also heard from a friend that his Yoko Parada Spec 2's are awesome in the dry, but terrifying in the wet (this comes from Steve who runs 480bhp in his, but that statement was before he went quite so bonkers in the power department!)

In regards to your Avons, used to run the same tyre on my ex's car - they're evidently very prone to punctures as we had 2, so wouldn't buy em again. Shame really, as grip-wise they seemed pretty good.

Just my two pennies' worth, I'm sure many will disagree with my assessments, but that's what forums are all about - the above is based on my driving style.
My car is my daily driver, not a track day or weekend toy, but as I'm verging on 400bhp tyres are an important part of the equation for me so I tend to stick with what works for me!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 14 December 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 14 December 2012, 12:59 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I enjoy my Vredsteins. Very predictable, and great grip in all conditions (except snow - awful in the snow... fun mind you...), however I will be looking at AD08 or R1R next, and if I don't like them I will keep them as track tyres and revert back to the Vredsteins.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:31 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Must be the weather which is making owners rush out and buy tyres. I certainly did. The vreds have had fantastic reviews from all who have tried them which is one of the reasons I bought a set on Wednesday.

Jura is spot on, or its a coincidence that the T1R do infact have softer side walls as my tyres are showing lots of wear in particular around those areas. Not to mention are poor in the wet which is why I have opted for the vreds.

There lots of choices in tyres and I've had RE07's (too hard for me), T1R's (quiet yet to soft and wear too easily) now the vreds which I hope will tick all boxes. It was a cross between the vreds and the ones mentioned above Falken 452 which are slightly cheaper but again good tyres.

Maybe after the vreds I'll have a chance to try one of the other highyly regarded tyres.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:48 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
I enjoy my Vredsteins. Very predictable, and great grip in all conditions (except snow - awful in the snow... fun mind you...), however I will be looking at AD08 or R1R next, and if I don't like them I will keep them as track tyres and revert back to the Vredsteins.
yes I agree with them being dire in the snow!

Had a slide into a kerb at 8mph on black ice - wasn't able to stop.
After that I bought a set of cheap rubbish alloys and cheap budget winter tyres.
Budget I hear you say!? On a Scoob? Well yeah, but here's why...

At this time of year I tend to drive slower than most of the numpties with summer tyres on in their focuses who seem to think that because there's grit on the road they can just drive like it's a regular day - until they lose it on a corner and crash straight through (yes, snapped clean in half!) a telegraph pole like the guy ahead of me yesterday

I'd rather take it easy for the odd month or so and then enjoy the car when it's safe to do so than take risks when I don't need to.
The budget winters, whilst not being the best in any way shape or form do allow me to stop on ice and snow where conventional summer tyres just don't. I can slam the brakes on on sheet ice and it stops. That's all I want when the weather's bad.

Now fetch me my pipe and slippers immediately

Last edited by MrNoisy; 14 December 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 14 December 2012, 02:11 PM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

I ran Falken 452's in my MR2 turbo, never once felt uncomfortable with them on.
T1R's are too soft on the side wall
R888's are the shizzle though
Old 15 December 2012, 04:42 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Good year eagle f1 awesome tyre especially in the wet.
Old 15 December 2012, 02:49 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Sessantas by a mile, ran them on my last 3 scoobys and an evo also

Great tyre
Old 15 December 2012, 08:04 PM
benny8ball
Scooby Regular

I have Toyo PX4's and they grip awesome in the wet and dry. Not tried them on track yet but supurb on the road.
Old 21 December 2012, 07:24 PM
subaru.gtt.1995
Scooby Regular

go for yokohama parada spec 2, very good tyres at a reasonable price!

Quick Reply: [POLL] -Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - Proxes - ?Other?