New tyres for 2001 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2012, 03:47 PM
davrostavros
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tyres for 2001 wrx

Hello,

I noticed since getting my 2001 WRX last week that the tyres were looking a bit flat and so I deccided to pump them up. A few days later they were looking flat again. Low and behold they were. I have just taken them to the garage thinking that the valves might be loose or something.

The guy said at first glance that it looked like the alloy would need re-laquering to seal as it has been kerbed a bit. When he took the tyre off he showed me that the inside of both front tyres was pretty much bald, more than likely due to the tracking being out. I asked about whether I would need four tyres (as the car is 4WD) and he said that as the rear tyres had over 6mm left I would only need two fronts.

A couple of questions, is this OK to just get the two fronts and what tyres should I be getting.

I have just bought the car, insurance and a whole bunch of other stuff so money is to say the least a bit on the tight side. The tyres that are on it are Wanli 1099 and although they would appear to be a budget brand they have seemed fine for me (at least my style of driving).
SO basically, two fronts are OK and what type of tyres would be OK to put on it?

Thanks
Old 08 November 2012, 06:54 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

From my current experience, make sure you put the same tyres on the back as the front. My car came with two Vredsteins on the front, and two Goodyears on the back, and I've had loads of trouble with vibration and noise as a result.

Both are good sets of tyres, but they don't match on a 4WD car.

I hope this helps.
Old 09 November 2012, 10:01 AM
davrostavros
Scooby Newbie

I am bit on the skint side but need to get the tyres done as a matter or priority so might have to go for budget ones (and only two at that).

My WRX is a standard one so not millions of power (but enough) and depite me trying I havent been able to slide the car, even on the cr*ppy wanlis.

I feel that it would be a waste to put a really good pair on the front and then have the wanlis on the back.

I think that is on my to do list post full service/cambelt when the MOT is due.
Old 09 November 2012, 10:45 AM
davrostavros
Scooby Newbie

I am booked in to get a pair of Falkens this afternoon, £80 a tyre and I am also gettgin the tracking done at the same time to stop the same rubbish uneven wear.

I have been told elsewhere that the original suspension setup can cause excess wear on the insude of the tyre.

Thanks