Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Alloys Before Winter- Is There Any Point?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2012, 09:18 AM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alloys Before Winter- Is There Any Point?

I have finally saved up enough money to buy my 17” black Rota Grid Alloys for my car, but now I question whether or not I have left it too late on in the year to bother.

This’ll be the first set of alloys I have properly forked out on.
Up until now my car has simply sat on the std. 16” Subaru alloys she came with and my previous car was just an old run-a-round that had wheel trims *yuk*

My current alloy’s front tyres are starting to look a little low so I now have a dilemma-

-Do I simply buy new tyres for the front to see me through the harsh winter months and get the new alloys in the spring time?

-Or do I buy the alloys and 4 new tyres to go with them now?

It may seem like a stupid question, but what with the previous two years of British Winter being pretty lousy, and the potential for a third year of snow and salted roads, my only concern is how the black wheels would stand up to the elements.
Not to mention the Essex potholes which naturally tend to worsen during the latter months of the year. I would hate to have forked out all that money only to spoil them within the first few months for want of a bit of patience.

Is there anyone here who has black wheels all year round? Or do people tend to swap them over for more ‘basic wheels’ in winter.

Naturally, any people who specifically own Rota Grids will know how they fair generally and I would very much like to hear your thoughts too

Do they scratch easily? Or are fairly prone to corrosion? Are scratches and scuffs more noticeable on black wheels?

I’m not one to kerb my alloys but I should imagine they can still get scratched on harsh road surfaces, with stone chips and those dreaded potholes.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just excited. I’ve been after these for so long, but I want to make sure I get it right

Thanks x
Old 25 September 2012, 12:07 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

If I was you I'd save putting you new wheels on until the spring, nothing worse than putting new wheels on and then chipping them or hitting a pot hole (speaking from experience). It'll save you having to refurb them also. Buy some winter tyres to get you through the weather then when things improve put the new wheels on.

I know how tempting it can be to put the new ones on, especially if you have been saving for a while. Up to you at the end of the day, if you don't mind the risk then go for it.
Old 25 September 2012, 12:58 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Buy some winter tyres now before prices rocket, put these on your current rims when it gets cold. Summer comes and new alloys go on with new summer rubber. I did exactly this and winter tyres on old rims are the way to go.
Rooster
Old 26 September 2012, 08:54 AM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

I thought as much. It seems only logical.

And also by the time Spring rolls around I'll have squirrelled away enough money to spend on some decent tyres to go on the new alloys.

Thanks guys! x
Old 26 September 2012, 07:21 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

leave the standards on for now , maybe buy some winter tyres for the car for now (budgets etc) then when the weather gets better , gimme a shout and ill hook you up with some rotas sorted
Old 26 September 2012, 07:35 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rich, what sort of price can you do a set of 4 winter tyres for?

I should get this winter, possibly more, out of the ones fitted to my spare set of wheel, but, they are getting quite old now.