Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

paint the caliper or have powder coated?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2012, 09:49 PM
dawesy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint the caliper or have powder coated?

basically i have got another set of 4 pots for my wrx, but want a good painting, soooo what paint is best to use or if i had them powder coated how hard would they be to fit new pistons n seal like the godspeed extra? cheers
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~god...id_product=150
Old 30 May 2012, 10:08 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Unless the pistons are damaged I wouldn't be buying new ones. You can get rebuild kits for around £30-£40 which is basically all the seals. Theres a guide somewhere on the net but basically strip apart the caliper and remove the pistons, any surface pitting should come off with some wire wool and a bit of elbow grease. If they are severely damaged then yes buy new pistons. Whilst you've got the caliper stripped down then decide whether you want to rub it down yourself and paint or find a local firm to powder coat them. I used to work for an international powder coating firm and shouldn't really cost much more than £80, but it depends where you go and who you know. My mate has his own powder coating equipment so doesn't cost us anything!
Old 30 May 2012, 10:12 PM
dawesy
Scooby Regular

i just thought while was off . if i was to powdercoat then id have to take them out wont i? i was told that the crome paint the pistons are in flakes and then rusts, thats why they stick or sieze? yeah powder coating wont cost me a penny, was wondering how much i could need to strip or leave em in and just had paint you know?cheers for reply
Old 30 May 2012, 10:20 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

If you want to leave everything in place then just give them a wire brush and a degrease on the car then paint them with some hammerite, thats what I've nearly always done and they look spot on, plus the hammerite is very hard wearing and cheaper than any caliper paint, plus no need to mask anything or worry about overspray.

If your worried about the pistons for any reason or can see anything that might be suspect then you might as well strip them down, it'll only cost you you time and you can make a better job of spraying or powder coating.

But yes I would strip the entire thing down to powder coat, you'll be heating the thing up to a few hundred degrees so you could damaged the seals and the powder gets everywhere so will me easier mask off if its stripped down.

Bottom line, if your spraying, strip it, otherwise just use a paint brush.