Just bought some new discs and pads from AZTEC

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2012, 10:28 AM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought some new discs and pads from AZTEC

Morning all,

I've just bought these http://www.superhids.co.uk/brakes/br...ront-set-.html and was wondering if anyone else has them on their car and what they're like?

James
Old 04 March 2012, 10:55 AM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

is now the time to ask?

I just fitted these pads to my GTB Legacy, and to be honest I'm not too impressed, but only 400 miles since fitted, so I'll give them some time yet.
They don't seem to have as much initial bite as the dirt cheap APEC pads they replaced,
but I will give them a chance yet.
My discs are a couple of years old, drilled/grooved, not sure of the make, but they seem good quality.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:16 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should have spoke to godspeed, what have you changed discs for you already had two piece grooved ones didnt you?

Last edited by tubbytommy; 04 March 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ditto: did you NEED new discs? Wouldn't it have been better to replace the disc part, keep the hubs?
Old 04 March 2012, 11:35 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ditto: did you NEED new discs? Wouldn't it have been better to replace the disc part, keep the hubs?
i have seen harmz's car and did notice it had nice two piece discs fitted and i would have thought changing to those aztec versions will be a downgrade.
possibly best bet is to cancel the order and invest in some decent pads and maybe braided hoses and fresh fluid.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:52 AM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i have seen harmz's car and did notice it had nice two piece discs fitted and i would have thought changing to those aztec versions will be a downgrade.
possibly best bet is to cancel the order and invest in some decent pads and maybe braided hoses and fresh fluid.

I have to downgrade them mate, as I simply can't afford £300 for the replacement disc and another £100+ for pads. I can't just put new pads in because when I bought the car, the previous owner put an MOT on it and it needed new pads, so he just put some cheap small ones in it and it's warped the disc massively.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:55 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

phone godspeed brakes they may be able to help you, you can replace the disc part and keep the old hub, may work out cheaper than £300
Old 04 March 2012, 12:05 PM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

I've been on their website and just the disc part without the hub is £325. Then £80 for the cheapest pads that will fit the brakes. I really can't afford it and they need changing now.

I'll be keeping the old brakes for when I have a bit more cash to spare, but for now I'll have to make do with the smaller discs.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:08 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Harmz2011
I've been on their website and just the disc part without the hub is £325. Then £80 for the cheapest pads that will fit the brakes. I really can't afford it and they need changing now.

I'll be keeping the old brakes for when I have a bit more cash to spare, but for now I'll have to make do with the smaller discs.
ahhh well good luck with the new discs and pads, cant comment on quality of them as have no experience but i did buy a exedy pink box clutch and lightweight flywheel from aztec last year and delivery was very quick and helpful guys on the phone.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:12 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

In my opinion you should wait till you CAN afford decent brakes. You might wish you did next time you anchor up.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:25 PM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
In my opinion you should wait till you CAN afford decent brakes. You might wish you did next time you anchor up.
I can't wait that long mate, my whole car judders when I brake so they need changing now. I'll be changing them back once I get the cash together, but I also need to change the N/S rear strut top mount asap! but ah well, it'll all come together.....one day.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:27 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

I can't wait that long mate, my whole car judders when I brake so they need changing now. I'll be changing them back once I get the cash together, but I also need to change the N/S rear strut top mount asap! but ah well, it'll all come together.....one day.
i know its a money thing, but again if you can wait to do the strut get coilovers.
one of the best things i fitted to mine, not only handling but looks wise too.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:35 PM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've been thinking about coilovers. Scoobyworld are doing BC coilovers for £675, but that's not going to happen until there's some overtime at work! so for now I'm either going to just replace the one with an OEM part or do both with these http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2610...TO_2000_Import but like I say, it's all about having the cash.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:39 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Yeah I've been thinking about coilovers. Scoobyworld are doing BC coilovers for £675, but that's not going to happen until there's some overtime at work! so for now I'm either going to just replace the one with an OEM part or do both with these http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2610...TO_2000_Import but like I say, it's all about having the cash.
i got bc coilovers also whiteline arbs and anti lift kit, makes the car so much better to drive and eliminates understeer.

personally i would wait and buy coilovers rather than spend money on the old shocks as you wont need new topmounts as this is all included on the coilovers.
Old 04 March 2012, 01:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Give Ian a ring, explain the problem, see what he can do. He may offer better prices, he may not be able to, but he IS helpful.
Old 04 March 2012, 09:12 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

The aztec kevlar pads are actually Comline Sports Pads.
I asked for opinions on them here last week but got no response.
Looks like £47 down the pan,
think I'll put the £19.99 APEC pads back in, they were actually fine for everyday use, I was just hoping for a bit of an upgrade.
The Legacy wagon is a heavy lump to slow down compared to the impreza.
Old 04 March 2012, 09:28 PM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

I just bought them as a package (money being tight and all) I don't drive my car that hard, and the way my brakes are at the minute, I'm not using my car other than to go to work and back as they're dangerous! I know it's a shame to downsize from 330mm discs to 294 but when times are hard, these things just need to be done.
Old 05 March 2012, 07:21 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I am not having a go , but money being a bit tight and we're talking about brakes. These things in a road going rally car can save your life. I never got round to changing the brakes in my 99 uk car, but if I had it might well have helped me when my rear tyre blew out. The 1st thing I updated on my current 00 car was the brakes and it never cost me a fortune tarox GC8 grooved disc and mintex 1155 pads which had covered 400 miles @ £50 bargain. Ebc disc for the rear and job done - no warping and immense stopping power over the std set up imho.
Power is nothing without control
Old 05 March 2012, 01:21 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

i had the discs above on my 4pots and had mintex1155 pads , 5.1 fluid and braided lines, and **** me they were superb brakes.
i knew if i braked i stopped very quickly.

when i fitted my brembos with godspeed discs and fast road pads i almost changed back to my 4pots as they were shocking. took forever to stop and almost crashed due to the pads as you have to remember the fast road/kevlar pads are the next step up from standard pads .

but after spending money on bluestuff and then pf pads they are great,

Last edited by Tomwrx; 05 March 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05 March 2012, 01:34 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Qwertco: Give them some miles to bed in, the feedback from customers over the years has been very good.
I will do, I wouldn't really consider doing anything with them until I've clocked up at least 1500 miles with them, and at 260 miles a week that won't take long. At 500 miles so far.

Why is there no info on these pads anywhere on the internet?
Not even mentioned on the Comline website.
I remember Comline advertising their new range of sports pads a few years ago, but I can find NO INFO at all on them now.
Old 28 April 2012, 05:18 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
The kevlar pads are very popular and work very well for normal to fast road use. We sell 100s of them. Obviously downsizing in disc size will reduce overall power of the brakes, but if you have a budget to work to, then you have chosen the right package.

The next stage of pad up is much more expensive.

Qwertco: Give them some miles to bed in, the feedback from customers over the years has been very good.
Well, 8 weeks later and I'm removing these Kevlar pads this weekend. They have got no better.
The car feels more like it was with the original 2-pot calipers and crap pads, before I fitted the 4-pots.
The APEC pads work better than these.
So the APEC's are going back in, or perhaps some Akebono original pads I have.

The best brakes I've had on this car so far was the 2-pots and Mintex M1144 combination, until the pad material fell off the backing plates!

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 12 May 2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Inflamatory comments
Old 28 April 2012, 05:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Strange, I have Godspeed Kevlar pads and love them.
Old 28 April 2012, 05:39 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

I just can't get my head around brake pads.
One of the worst pads I've ever used were 'RED', yet some swear by them.
Brake pads brands seem to be like marmite, and some seem to be made of marmite.
Old 28 April 2012, 05:47 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Qwertyco
Well, 8 weeks later and I'm removing these Kevlar pads this weekend. They have got no better.
The car feels more like it was with the original 2-pot calipers and crap pads, before I fitted the 4-pots.
The APEC pads work better than these.
So the APEC's are going back in, or perhaps some Akebono original pads I have.

The best brakes I've had on this car so far was the 2-pots and Mintex M1144 combination, until the pad material fell off the backing plates!
I thought the kevlar pads were awful too. Took them off after a few weeks and paid more and got much better pads.
Old 28 April 2012, 07:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Strange, I have Godspeed Kevlar pads and love them.
This is what I'll be buying for my standard brakes all round come renewal times, Jeff. Standardish discs but decent pads has served me well beforeand I'm sure Ian will advise me what's best for a slightly modded Impreza.
Old 28 April 2012, 08:01 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got Pagid discs and pads in mine, nothing fancy but they work really well.

IIRC it was only about £100 for the discs and pads.

Don't know why Aztec are saying to give pads lots of miles to bed them in, if they aren't bedded in within 50 miles, then you're either doing something wrong, or they are either completely **** pads, IMO.
Old 29 April 2012, 02:00 AM
Lord Marshall
Scooby Regular

Hi,i recently bought CRN brakes of Ebay,the're brilliant for the money I paid £49.99 for rear drilled and grooved,beat that!
For front's i'll be buying Camskill discs n EBC yellow pad's.
Old 29 April 2012, 11:01 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
I've got Pagid discs and pads in mine, nothing fancy but they work really well.

IIRC it was only about £100 for the discs and pads.

Don't know why Aztec are saying to give pads lots of miles to bed them in, if they aren't bedded in within 50 miles, then you're either doing something wrong, or they are either completely **** pads, IMO.
Im also using standard pagid pads and discs from ecp. Byfar the best combo ive used in the 9 years ive had my car. Ive use the standard brembo,mintex uprated,performance friction and ebc. As above i think front and rear discs and pads were around £120 trade.
Old 29 April 2012, 11:19 AM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Im also using standard pagid pads and discs from ecp. Byfar the best combo ive used in the 9 years ive had my car. Ive use the standard brembo,mintex uprated,performance friction and ebc. As above i think front and rear discs and pads were around £120 trade.
Are these the pads:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pagid-Fron...item43ae950183
Old 29 April 2012, 11:32 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Qwertyco
They look to be th same

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Subaru_Impreza_2.0_2001/p/car-parts/brakes/brake-friction/brake-pad/?101702448&1&00da14b95d58d0c46c28f56fde3627f8f5b0e b7c&000036

Last edited by Turbotits; 29 April 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought some new discs and pads from AZTEC