Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

tegiwa brake stopper?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2012, 09:00 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tegiwa brake stopper?

i've got uprated discs, pads and braided hoses with 5.1 fluid on my blob eye, but the brakes could still do with some more 'bite', especially as i'm looking into power upgrades!

antything else i can do short of buying a full set of bigger calipers/discs etc?

any good or a waste of time?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1807560770...84.m1423.l2649
Old 31 January 2012, 09:21 AM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

What pads and discs are you using?
Old 31 January 2012, 09:25 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

discs and pads from godspeed - cant remember immediately but discs are grooved and uprated pads.

will have to root out the invoice to remember what rating the pads are!
Old 31 January 2012, 09:37 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I’ve got one of the brake stoppers fitted. Good mod for very little cash.
Old 31 January 2012, 10:03 AM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

If its the Kevlar pads you got from Godspeed then you will find more bite with a track focused race pad.

Just means you may have to put up with a bit more dust and possibly some brake sequel
Old 02 February 2012, 11:44 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

BPR - any pics of yours fitted?

ordered one in the end, so hopefully will give impreved feel.
Old 02 February 2012, 11:51 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I have also got on fitted to my bugeye. It's fiddly to install but once on IMO it makes a difference, not massive but a difference non the less.
Old 02 February 2012, 12:51 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Few pics of mine as fitted.

Name:  IMAG0355.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0354.jpg
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0353.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0356.jpg
Size:  45.6 KB

Andy
Old 02 February 2012, 12:54 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

I couldnt really tell that much on the newage but it felt a lot better on a classic.
Old 02 February 2012, 01:43 PM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

brill, thanks chaps.
Old 02 February 2012, 02:45 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

No worries. Good mod for £30
Old 17 February 2012, 12:22 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

For me new braketech discs and Kevlar pads all round are now on. Still need to bed them in though but with a little sharpe breaking recently not overally impressed, then again not sure what I should be looking for in comparison. I'm sure they will do justice soon. I did however buy the HEL lines which havent gone on yet but reading around here some peoples views are that they didnt really make much of a difference. With the advise from guys on here I did buy the Tewiga Brake Stopper which I hope will go on this weekend so will be able to see how this feels. I guess the way I have done it is in stages, so this way I get to review the difference with each upgrade.
Old 17 February 2012, 12:46 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

To be honest I would fit the braided brake lines without a doubt. They do make a difference. Also there will not be much point in fitting the brake stopper if you still have the rubber brake lines as these will expand more than the master cylinder will from the bulkhead. You wont feel a difference until you have fitted the lines and then the stopper in that order.
Old 17 February 2012, 02:02 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Once again MrBrownPantsRacing thank you for your advice.
Old 17 February 2012, 02:12 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Old 18 February 2012, 07:46 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Also there will not be much point in fitting the brake stopper if you still have the rubber brake lines as these will expand more than the master cylinder will from the bulkhead. You wont feel a difference until you have fitted the lines and then the stopper in that order.
Sorry, but that's just bollocks!

I have a brake stopper with rubber hoses and the difference the brake stopper makes to the feel of the brakes is very significant.

Last edited by Twin Fields; 18 February 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 18 February 2012, 11:59 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

I have one fitted to my classic Cat, along with Goodridge hoses and Alcon 330s plus later 2-pots with larger discs at the rear. The brake stopper was the last thing I had done to the brakes and it made a big difference in feel and immediacy even with the big beasties up front. Well worth it on a classic, can't comment on later cars.
Old 19 February 2012, 08:50 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Twin Fields
Sorry, but that's just bollocks!

I have a brake stopper with rubber hoses and the difference the brake stopper makes to the feel of the brakes is very significant.
You need to fit some braided hoses then!

Bollocks to you too!
Old 19 February 2012, 10:57 AM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

To be honest I would fit the braided brake lines without a doubt. They do make a difference. Also there will not be much point in fitting the brake stopper if you still have the rubber brake lines as these will expand more than the master cylinder will from the bulkhead. You wont feel a difference until you have fitted the lines and then the stopper in that order.
You need to fit some braided hoses then!

Bollocks to you too!
I have fitted braided hoses on all of the motorbikes I've owned over the years and so I know what a difference they make to brake performance.

I do have a set of HEL braided hoses for the Impreza in my possession, but have not got round to fitting them yet, maybe when the weather improves!

Your original comment that suggests that it is not worth fitting a brake stopper without having fitted braided hoses first really is absolute "bollocks" and anyone thinking of fitting a brake stopper to improve the feel of their standard (or even upgraded) brake setup, will be in two minds as to whether it is worth it without the braided hoses first, having read what you have written.

I can categorically say that from my experience it is definitely worth fitting a brake stopper, with or without braided hoses fitted.

The feel of the standard Impreza brake set up is horrible (and possible the worst I've ever owned) because they feel mushy and do not inspire any confidence at all.

The brake stopper is a good, cheap and easy to fit way of improving your brake pedal feel and is a lot less hassle that fitting a set of braided hoses in the first instance.

Braided hoses will reduce the flexing in the brake system that you will experience with rubber hoses, but will not improve the pedal feel on their own. you will need a brake stopper to do that and that is what I would recommend as the first thing to buy.

Ignore BrownPantsRacing's comments about fitting a brake stopper being a waste of time without braided hoses because they are complete "BOLLOCKS". Sorry!
Old 19 February 2012, 07:04 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can categorically say that from my experience it is definitely worth fitting a brake stopper, with or without braided hoses fitted.

Ignore BrownPantsRacing's comments about fitting a brake stopper being a waste of time without braided hoses because they are complete "BOLLOCKS". Sorry!
Your experience isn't always the same as someone else's though.

Also, it's not bollocks really, what's the point in doing half a job. General consensus, and what I was told many years ago when I bought my car, was to change the standard brake lines as they are a bit crap.

For the length of time it takes to swap the brake lines, it really is a no-brainer not to do it.
Old 19 February 2012, 08:34 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
what's the point in doing half a job.
Since when has fitting a brake stopper and braided brake hoses been half way to having a good brake set up?

You're missing the point totally.

What I am saying is - fit the brake stopper in the first instance and you will see a marked improvement over the mushy standard brake feel.

Then feel free to spend as much money and time doing whatever you want to achieve the brakes you think will suit your particular braking requirements.

It's been well documented on this and other Subaru forums by people that have spent a fortune on a brake set up that still felt sh*t and have looked to others for advise, and that advise has been, buy a brake stopper!

So I stand by my original comment and say that it is bollocks to think that a brake stopper isn't worth fitting without braided hoses.

THEY ARE!

What's more to argue about?
Old 19 February 2012, 08:41 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Completely agree. The comments I have made have been based on MY experience having fitted braided hoses to many cars I have owned over the years.

I Fitted braided hoses first to my scoob and they made a big difference. Then fitted brake stopper and improved it a little again. From MY experience the stopper definitely helped but hoses more so. If I had have fitted them in the other order then I may have different personal opinion.

Shan't bother helping in the future if people reply rudely to my posts.
Old 19 February 2012, 08:53 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Completely agree. The comments I have made have been based on MY experience having fitted braided hoses to many cars I have owned over the years.

I Fitted braided hoses first to my scoob and they made a big difference. Then fitted brake stopper and improved it a little again. From MY experience the stopper definitely helped but hoses more so. If I had have fitted them in the other order then I may have different personal opinion.

Shan't bother helping in the future if people reply rudely to my posts.
I'm sorry you've been offended by the word "bollocks" which was a result of the comments you made in your original posting.

But lets face it, what you're saying in your second posting ain't exactly the same as you were saying in the first.

Your stance appears to have softened somewhat! So I apologize for offending you.
Old 19 February 2012, 09:03 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Fair point, maybe I worded that badly originally. My apologies. was not meant to say that the brake stopper would make no difference, was just trying to get across that in my experience the braided lines made more of a difference and it would certainly be worth doing the lines. Apologies for the confusion. My bad.
Old 20 February 2012, 08:02 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's more to argue about?
Who's arguing? You have your point of view, I have mine. Hardly an argument.

Actually read what I posted, and not just focus on one segment.

FWIW, I do actually agree with you. Fitting a brake stopper does make a marked improvement in pedal feel. It certainly did when I fitted mine.

However, when trying to improve brakes, if you fit a brake stopper and not braided lines is a bit half arsed when you consider the cost and time involved. Every little helps, as they say.

In bold, just in case you missed it.
Old 20 February 2012, 08:28 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
when you consider the cost and time involved. In bold, just in case you missed it.
Thank you for clearing that up micky, I wouldnt have wanted to have missed the point twice!
Old 20 February 2012, 08:34 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

BrownPantsRacing comments are geniune and true to his OWN word, whether others choose to share the same experience is another persons guess. No point in slating anothers comment though
Old 20 February 2012, 08:43 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Lol. Cheers mate, appreciate the comment but feel your re-opening a whole can of worms again. Was quite enjoying not being involved in arguments and just watching the others go for it. Lol.
Old 20 February 2012, 08:51 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
No point in slating anothers comment though
How very idealistic chet.

But wait, what state would our British Parliament be in without an open discussion which involved questioning others views?

Last edited by Twin Fields; 20 February 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 22 February 2012, 03:17 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Got mine through today but without instructions, looks fairly simple from the pics. What does the small bottom bracket do? is it to line the stopper up with the brake master cylinder.

Quick Reply: tegiwa brake stopper?