Bug eye wrx abs grinding

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2011, 10:20 AM
bignick68
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug eye wrx abs grinding

My car is the 2001 bug eye WRX.

My questions are ABS related. I’ve read a number of posts on different forums and wanted to put my issues up for comment in case the answer is obvious.

I’ve just had the rear pads and discs plus the front pads replaced by my neighbour who’s a car mechanic. The reason for not doing the front discs too is that they are smooth, show little wear and have no “lip” (incredibly the garage has put them on amber for the MOT as they are "excessiveley pitted")

On taking the car for its first test drive after the work the ABS light came on and stayed on. I mentioned about the sensor’s possibly getting gunked up and my neighbour checked them, found one in a bad state and cleaned it out. After this the ABS light went off much faster on ignition than it had in the past.

What’s happening now is that the ABS seems to be kicking in intermittently. It doesn’t ever happen when I brake hard, only when I brake softly and mostly if I brake then brake again quite quickly. The noise I’m getting is the usual grinding/electronic noise something like RRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrRRRR. At the point when this happens the ABS light doesn’t come on – ever. I haven't tested it enough to be definite about the road conditions when it happens but it does in flat dry conditions at speeds of about 20-40mph as well as manoeuvering speeds.

I’ve seen people with similar problems told that it could be sensor misaligned, sensor broken, tooth ring issues, ABS controller etc etc

I’d be grateful for any ideas anyone has.