Clutch master and slave cylinder sizes on version 4

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2011, 12:44 PM
b2knz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch master and slave cylinder sizes on version 4

Hi,

I'm in the process of putting back together a version 4 coupe that I scored cheap that a guy gave up on as a failed project (he'd put a version 8 engine and gearbox in, and had changed most of the loom).. I've taken the version 8 engine and box out, fixed the loom up properly.. and almost finished..

anyway, the only question I have, is what size master cylinder and slave cylinder should the clutch be? I have a 5/8's master cylinder here and a 3/4 and a 13/16th slave cylinder... so which would be the right slave one?

Thanks
Old 03 July 2011, 11:22 AM
b2knz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a bump on this thread.. I went with the 3/4 size.. but the doesn't seem to disengage properly.. so if you have the car in gear, put your foot flat on the clutch, and try and start it it'll move.. I had the car on a hoist, and if I had my foot hard on the clutch, and the wheels were spinning, I could put my foot on the brake and they'd stop, but it wouldn't stall the car..

So I removed the rubber boot over the clutch fork, and shone a torch through the hole while I got a mate of mine to slowly operate the clutch, and everything looks good in there..

We tried rebleeding the clutch just incase, but still no joy.. though I am still suspicious it could be the clutch.. I'm fairly confident I put a rebuild kit in the slave cylinder too, it's not showing any signs of fluid leaking.. though it was an aftermarket kit I used..

Help, does anyone have any ideas?