Brakes Help

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2011, 08:27 PM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes Help

Guys,

Not very car/impreza minded so please bear with me ....

Brought a 07 plated impreza RX from Subaru main dealer in October 2010 with 9,500 miles on clock, first service given due to age... aint a clue what they did

Car is used everyday up/down motorway and is driven no more then 75mph MAX. Probs never seen 80 mph with me (Go on call me Miss Daisy). Car has now done 17,500 miles and lately there is a juddering feeling on my brake pedal Doesnt matter what spped you are doing, its always there when I press the brake

I have tried to look all brake/wheels no stones/stick that I could see, but I would be lying if I said I knew what I was looking at?

Did however notice on the back disc there is rust all around outside and shinny in the middle?

Can you help and explain - will take pictures if needed. Due for a service shortly I understand due to miles its done now .... do I need to change all the brake thingys?

Also I aint a clue whats on there so how do I know what I need to replace with/buy?

Im so scared driving as im worried it wont make me stop or my brakes would spin round with the wheels

Thanks H x
Old 05 April 2011, 08:39 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your front brake discs have warped (slightly out of true) which will be causing the brake judder you mention. Its just a case of having your discs replaced (You might as well get the brake pads replaced at the same time) The brakes won't spin with the wheels however I'd be looking to change them as soon as though.
The rear discs will rust around the edge. This is fine. The shiny bit in the middle is where the brake pad touches the disc so thats normal too.
Old 05 April 2011, 08:58 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Could be a large amount of brake deposit on the disc's to could be worth taking it out for a good hard drive and really standing on the brakes to clean them up
Old 05 April 2011, 09:12 PM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Is this a common thing with Impreza's then? If I replace all the brakes/discs how do I know it aint gonna happen a few months down the line again?

I love the look on bembro brakes - would it be an idea to upgrade brake/covers etc as think its all standard at moment? My old car (fiat stilo) used to come slaming to a stop if you pressed brakes being very sensitive where the impreza pedal just feels like it keeps going?

My god - Why did I get this sexy car knowing nothing!! Guess all have to start learning somewhere!! HAHAHA

Cheers guys!! Now please point me in direction of someone nearish to me in North London to help with brakes/service.
Old 05 April 2011, 10:44 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find the Impreza brakes are more "progressive" than other car brakes. That means (in my own words) the more you press the pedal the more they bite, but more so than other cars. I find my GF's car which is a Fiat 500 bites really fierce when you touch the pedal, but after that there is little difference in braking power.

As for fitting Brembos, it is fairly simple. Just costly. A 2nd hand front pair with discs are up for sale at the minute, £500 plus postage if I recall correctly. Then you'd need the rears.......
Old 06 April 2011, 06:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Helen,

I would have the rear discs measured to see if they are within the min thickness levels. If there is sufficeint life left on them have them measured for runout.

Can supply rear OEM spec discs for very little money if needed.

Give me a call if you are unsure on anything I've said.

Old 06 April 2011, 07:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Could be deposits on the discs, so try cleaning them off first: drive it at 70 mph and STAND on the brakes. Do it two or three times.

IF they are warped, you need to know why. It's not as common as people think

One thing that DOESN'T help is folk who drive the car, get the brakes hot, then sit in traffic with their foot on the brake instead of using the handbrake. Result: the part of the disc under the brake pads cools down slower than the rest, and warping CAN occur.
Old 07 April 2011, 08:28 AM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your help.

Alcazar - do you supply only or would you be able to fit? If so where are you based?
When I brought the car my service guy told me the back pads need to be replaced, off I went to local car spares shop and provided reg etc and they gave me small blue box of rear pads, but they have just been in boot. £60 down drain if I dont use them as have no idea what make they are? Could we swap if they are of any use to you or will just throw away as unlikely shop would accept back now. Will put details/photo up tonight.
Old 07 April 2011, 09:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you have me wrong, I have nowt to do with brakes, other than having modded those on my car.

Ian Godney is your man, ian@godspeedbrakes.co.uk, what he doesn't know about brakes ain't worth knowing, and yes, he will fit, but is based in Bridgend, S.Wales.