Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Puncture & wheel bolt threaded :(

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2010, 02:49 PM
TarmacSnortingMonsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puncture & wheel bolt threaded :(

As the title suggests I recently got a puncture and had to be brought home on a recovery truck due to not having a spare (idiot I know)

The problem I have is I bought the car without anything to remove the nuts, a while back I picked up a star shaped piece from the motor spares shop which seemed to fit. It managed to remove all other bolts but threaded the one on the tyre with a puncture.

I forgot about it until now...

I am not sure if these are locking or not, they don't appear to be to me but anyway I am stuck as to how to get them off.

I cant take it to a tyre place as cant drive it with the puncture so need a mobile fitter to come out to do the job.

I'll attach some pics in a min and see what you lot think can be done as my mate reckons its a drill it out job only

Thanks
Old 15 September 2010, 02:55 PM
captain starlet
Scooby Newbie

post a pic

By sounds of it its a lock key, you obv used a torx socket to remove the others are you not able to get any other socket chapped over it?

Sometimes the easiest thing to do (if you have a mate with one) get a mig welder and weld a nut onto it then screw it out that way.
Old 15 September 2010, 02:56 PM
captain starlet
Scooby Newbie

To add how fast is the puncture and what distance are you from the tyre place?
Old 15 September 2010, 03:21 PM
TarmacSnortingMonsta
Scooby Regular

Apologies for the delay I'm on an ultra slow wifi connection so you can imagine how slow pic upload takes

The puncture is now completely flat. It began by a burning smell coming through the vents so I pulled over and took a look. It was still filled up with air and solid although was boiling hot to touch. I was only 2/3 miles from home so thought I would limp it back (not that there was much I could have done anyway) then a further mile or so down the road it found itself rolling off the rim toward the engine!

The worst bit of it is I'm totally skint and need the car back on the road but the cheapest fitted tyre I can find is around £100 to match the other ZZ3.

Here's the pics:

Old 15 September 2010, 03:38 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

I had the same issue mate, get a allen key that is ever so slightly bigger than the existinghead and hammer it in, it should stay firm enough for you to then remove it.

The alloy wheel bolts are quite soft, alternatively weld an allen key onto it and remove it that way.