Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

help on wheels...?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2002, 02:10 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, need some help. I got a set of 205x7JJ 53´s (subaru) off a 99 impreza GT (6 spoke), and tried them on my 1993 wagon. They fit with room all around, but when we go for a drive it feels really twitchy - almost like the wheels are buckled. In a straight line they are nice, but as soon as you turn, or change lanes, they almost flick the car around. But not always which is strange. We tried them on the hwy and they feel really solid , but change lanes and it is the same After pulling over, checking all the tyre pressures - 32 front, 29 rear, and all the nuts etc, we felt the tires themselves. The inner 2" were hot, and the remainder of the tire (all 4) were cool or cold Now can someone out there give me some advice as to what to do to resolve this - do I need to change camber, toe in, toe out etc? Is it a DIY job (fairly handy in this dept). What can I do??

Neal
Old 02 April 2002, 03:33 PM
Sigmund
Scooby Regular

can they be a very different offset than the standard wheels on that car ?

Camber/caster setting need special equipment to measure the angles. The euipment isn't that expensive so if you do a lot of fidlling for yourself and your buddies it might be worth it...maybe.
Old 03 April 2002, 04:28 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

I did some measuring last night, but not enough - will do some more this arvo with more light. It is amazing that none of this info is anywhere I can find though

Could someone clear up what exactly "offset" is, how it is measured etc? The only definition I can find is the distance between the centre of the rim and the mounting face. Can someone clever draw me a pic of this please?

Neal
Old 03 April 2002, 05:03 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

brilliant, just found this on offset:

click for offset description