Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STi rear brakes - how much work?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2010, 11:57 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STi rear brakes - how much work?

I recently replaced the rear discs and pads on my 03 STi at the same time fitted braided lines and of course bled the system. Since then I've kept an eye on the disc surface but the brakes seem to be doing very little work indeed! The disc has yet to develop a shiny surface after more than enough miles!
I know the rears do a lot less than the fronts but I thought they would be bedded in by now? The calipers work fine and pads are free.
The discs are Godspeed grooved and the pads are a set of Red Stuff that I bought on a GB about 3 years ago. (The fronts are DB discs with DS2500 pads)

JohnD
Old 28 May 2010, 12:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've just had a "brake bias mod" done on my classic to make the rears do more work. Boy, does it feel planted braking now.

Harvey Smith did it for me.
Old 28 May 2010, 03:02 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've just had a "brake bias mod" done on my classic to make the rears do more work. Boy, does it feel planted braking now.

Harvey Smith did it for me.

What does the mod involve?
Old 29 May 2010, 11:21 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

03STi with 330mm AP 6 pots RS29 pads front and OE rears with RS42. On track I can get the rear discs hot enough to get the blue tinge on the disc surface that suggest they are doing a fair bit of work. You may have an imbalance F/R because of your different pads, if the DS2500 have a higher friction level than the Red Stuff then it will make the fronts do more work than intended. Try DS2500 in rear as a starting point, will probably do the job.
Old 29 May 2010, 08:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D1CCY
03STi with 330mm AP 6 pots RS29 pads front and OE rears with RS42. On track I can get the rear discs hot enough to get the blue tinge on the disc surface that suggest they are doing a fair bit of work. You may have an imbalance F/R because of your different pads, if the DS2500 have a higher friction level than the Red Stuff then it will make the fronts do more work than intended. Try DS2500 in rear as a starting point, will probably do the job.
Did cross my mind about trying different pads, but an expensive exercise if it doesn't work!
Who'll do me a set at the best price? Got the fronts from AS performance, if I recall.

JohnD
Old 30 May 2010, 12:49 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Best to have a word with Alyn. I'm sure he can give you best advice and convince you whatever he suggests will do the job and not waste your hard earned.