Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Recurring brake judder problems on 2002 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 01:54 PM
JamesMWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recurring brake judder problems on 2002 WRX

I have found a few threads on this but never one where anyone seems to have found a solution to the problem.

I have a 2002 Bugeye WRX which is driving me up the wall. Every set of brake discs I put on it, end up with the front drivers side warping.

Without fail, after about 1000 miles of the new discs going on, you get a judder through the steering under braking which just gets progressively worse.

To date, I have done the following and every time, the problem comes back:

Changed the discs and pads (four times), changed the callipers with a set of Brembos, together, new hoses, fluid etc. Have ensured the hub was scrubbed as much a possible. Had the discs machined on the car, judder wouldn’t go away. Have now put a hub and bearing on it, new tyres, had the wheels rebalanced, swapped the wheels around and had the geometry done. Just done a little over 1000 miles since then and back the problem comes again.

No one can find anything wrong with the car. I am not heavy on the brakes and the car is on standard power. They get run in properly. I have tried a few hard stops to see if that clears any deposits off the discs but makes no difference.

I did rattle that side of the car off a kerb about 18 months ago, and have had the problems ever since, so I know there is something damaged, just have no idea what, and how it could cause the one disc to continue warping.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Other than getting that entire front corner off a car that is being broken and changing everything, I am out of ideas, and my wallet out of cash.