WRX brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2010, 07:06 PM
StuP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX brakes

Hi,

I am new to the forum - just bought an '04 WRX, my first Impreza.

I have a query - the brakes aren't great. I have had a brake check completed at ATS and the pads & discs are fine. The thing is, i expected the brakes on a performance car like this to be really good. I have a diesel Golf as my every day car, and the brakes on that are twice as good as the Impreza.

I thought that the Impreza would stop on a sixpence, but, whereas the brakes work and the car stops they're just not that good.

My brother has driven the car and he mentioned that the brakes weren't as good as he thought they would either.

Should i be worried, is there something that might be wrong or is this something i need to get used to??

Thanks

StuP
Old 07 May 2010, 12:12 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the site Stu.

It's a common misconception to think that a normal car, such as a Golf, with over-servo'd brakes, is better at braking than an Impreza. The Impreza brakes are quite progressive and you'll soon get used to them.

The standard brakes aren't great and there are a few things you can do to improve them, the cheapest and most effective being braided lines to help firm up the pedal: ( http://www.superhids.co.uk/h-e-l-bra...-set-of-4.html ) and uprated fast road pads ( http://www.superhids.co.uk/kevlar-fast-road-pads.html )

The standard brakes are usually good enough for around 3 hard stops before getting to hot. Fast road pads will improve bite and fade resistance, but hopefully the this post explains the difference in feeling between the two cars.
Old 07 May 2010, 12:12 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the site Stu.

It's a common misconception to think that a normal car, such as a Golf, with over-servo'd brakes, is better at braking than an Impreza. The Impreza brakes are quite progressive and you'll soon get used to them.

The standard brakes aren't great and there are a few things you can do to improve them, the cheapest and most effective being braided lines to help firm up the pedal: ( http://www.superhids.co.uk/h-e-l-bra...-set-of-4.html ) and uprated fast road pads ( http://www.superhids.co.uk/kevlar-fast-road-pads.html )

The standard brakes are usually good enough for around 3 hard stops before getting to hot. Fast road pads will improve bite and fade resistance, but hopefully the this post explains the difference in feeling between the two cars.
Old 08 May 2010, 07:25 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

as above the brakes are very good . i ran 4 pots for years and never had a problem braking even when driving hard . maybe uprate the pads and hoses and give them another whirl or there are plenty of aftermarket brake kits etc
Old 08 May 2010, 08:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with all above, the brakes are fine, but need to be used by the driver well instead of almost locking up with a misdirected fart down the trouser leg like on many cars. Braided lines improve feel, along with DOT4/5/5.1 fluid. Good pads from Mintex (1155), Ferodo (DSPF or DS2500), Pagid (Blue RS421), EBC (Yellow (NOT Red) Stuff) or the brilliant Performance Friction. Standard discs are perfectly capable, and TBH you're better off learning how to drive without using the brakes (Roadcraft) to be both faster AND safer.
Old 09 May 2010, 05:37 PM
StuP
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that they are different, and i need to get used to them, but it worries me that there is no resistance on the brake pedal until about half way down, and even on very heavy braking (i've been testing!!) the car doesn't lurch forward. I really have to stand on them to stop quickly.

Maybe they need bleeding???

Thanks

StuP
Old 10 May 2010, 08:26 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 382 Likes on 304 Posts

sounds more likely you have an issue with sticky or seized calipers (quite common on the front) or possibly someone has put some budget components in??
as a first base i would strip, clean and check that alls as it should be (including the rear!!) and go from there......

alyn