newbie needs help with warping brakes

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2010, 08:52 PM
atcook
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbie needs help with warping brakes

Hi Everyone,

I bought a blobeye wrx wagon about 18 months ago and have really enjoyed driving it. About 8 months ago i started to notice a mild judder etc when braking between 60 - 40 mph. The car was due a service so i had the discs, pads, hoses & fluid replaced. within 3 months I noticed the juddering and whirring? sound had returned - but worse, there was also blueing in patches around the discs. I took the car back and they have were replaced at no cost. around 3 months have passed and they are juddering again. I am getting a bit frustrated with them and it is spoiling the car for me. has anyone any idea what could be causing this?

thanks for your help - alex
Old 30 January 2010, 09:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Bad driving !

Look into learning Roadcraft which may not only make you a significantly faster road driver, but also a safer one, AND it is a much more mechanically sympathetic way to drive.

When I first got a Scooby I was wasting a set of pads every 6-8k and discs every 20k. After learning to drive properly from professionals I was getting 20+k from the pads and the discs looked good for 70+k maybe. My turn in speeds on some roads almost doubled, and my average over distance was much higher, yet I was more aware of hazards and fully prepared as and when they arrived. My fuel consumption also improved as I spend less time trying to reacquire the momentum lost through braking.
Old 30 January 2010, 10:25 PM
atcook
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the tip! I definately couldn't rule out dodgy driving - but would be suprised. I have driven plenty of different cars over nearly 20 years - the last 6 in cars with similar performance to the scoob, and had no problems. Just out of interest who did you you do your training with?. I have thought about it before except for bikes.
Old 30 January 2010, 10:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I used to know a tame Policeman whom happened to be a Class 1 pursuit trainer, he taught me Roadcraft. I've also done track and rally training with Howard Patterson.

You should be able to drive at high speed and NEVER use the brakes apart from coming to a full stop or in emergencies, and emergencies are rare if your hazard assessments are good. Scoobs have plenty of engine braking due to the resistance of the 4WD drivetrain, so on all but the tightest b-roads and on track, the brakes should remain unused. It's all about keeping the weight placed evenly over the tyres, not shifting it about violently, to maximise grip and thus achieve higher cornering speeds. When you start to realise just how much grip there is when the car is kept planted on all four wheels your confidence to corner at ever higher speeds grows, but this must be allied to good hazard awareness and anticipation, sticking to the rule that you MUST be able to fully stop the car in the distance you can see to be safe from the speed you are travelling.
Old 31 January 2010, 01:52 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

if u don't mind me asking how much was the roadcraft?
Old 31 January 2010, 01:58 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by atcook
Hi Everyone,

I bought a blobeye wrx wagon about 18 months ago and have really enjoyed driving it. About 8 months ago i started to notice a mild judder etc when braking between 60 - 40 mph. The car was due a service so i had the discs, pads, hoses & fluid replaced. within 3 months I noticed the juddering and whirring? sound had returned - but worse, there was also blueing in patches around the discs. I took the car back and they have were replaced at no cost. around 3 months have passed and they are juddering again. I am getting a bit frustrated with them and it is spoiling the car for me. has anyone any idea what could be causing this?

thanks for your help - alex
typical cause of warping discs is high speed braking or continuous braking followed by sitting stationary with the foot on the brake, i.e. the discs get very hot and then have pressure applied to one spot. use the handbrake when at lights, junctions etc.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:45 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

would also suspect sticking pistons as they are common for this...........or poor quality discs/pads??

alyn